1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are tattoos a badge of courage?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Craigbythesea, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Are tattoos a badge of courage—or are they a badge of an immature personality, low self-esteem, poor judgment, a propensity toward sin, a rebellious disposition, and a basic lack of intelligence?

[​IMG]

2. Gib

Gib Active Member

A rebellious disposition over here [​IMG]

3. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

4. Servent

Servent Member

I happen to like my tattoos,but I dont care much for your remarks,or your comments about my intelligence. No wonder so many say they dont go to church beacuse of the people in them.

5. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    false dichotomy

6. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't look down on people with tattoos at all. Many people get them before they are saved. Myself, I don't want one. Never really had the urge. One, if I would have gotten one when I was young my dad would have killed me! hehe

Two, I have seen too many people get them and regret having them later on.

On the flip side I caution Christians about them. For instance, I know of a whole group of "Christians" that seperated themselves from any church because they believed most churches are evil. Alot of the young leaders got tattoos so they could be different. I've always believed that individuality was in the heart and not in what clothes you wore or the tattoo on you arm, back, chest, leg, etc.

7. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

Tattoo's aren't for me but I don't see anything wrong with it. Sure it's more permanant than piercing your ears, but it's not much different than any other way we alter our bodies. I completly understand why men do it as a bonding thing for something like a fraternity or the military. There is nothing wrong with being proud of those things. Now a woman getting a tattoo, I will never understand. I think it just looks unlady-like but that's only an opinion and that's what you asked for!

And to answer your question, I don't see at all how it's a badge of courage. Maybe a badge of high pain tolerance! [​IMG]

8. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Causticbythesea: I think your comments are wayyyy inappropriate, but then what can we expect from an immature personality, with low self-esteem, poor judgment, a propensity toward sin, a rebellious disposition, and a basic lack of intelligence?

:)

I think you could have phrased your statement a lot less offensively.

I have several and it was poor judgment (knowable only from hindsight) and I was immature, though I don't think that immaturity relates one bit and certainly low self-esteem, a propensity toward sin, a rebellious disposition, and a basic lack of intelligence had nothing to do with it.

Some basic discipleship after I was saved might have changed things, but then God could have seen to it that I was discipled had it mattered to him.

Thirty plus years of "seeming successful" ministry would indicate it didn't bother to much, indeed they have offered me multitudes of opportunities to talk to children, teens and adults about the pros and CONS of the things.

By the way, I like craigbythesea but this other guy ..... well, I hope he finds another board :)

9. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Servent: I didn't say anything about anyone's intelligence.

I don't care for tatoos, but I certainly do not look down on anyone who has them.

My opinion is that they are 'poor judgment' for the reasons untangled gave in his post.

§ue [​IMG]

10. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I don't mind a tastefully done tattoo on a man but don't like them AT ALL on women. Our 28 year old son has a tattoo on his left bicep that he had done while in the service. It's quite a colorful work of art.

My father has a Marine emblem tattoo. All black.

11. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I have a couple, I consider them to be a badge of stupid.

12. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

Ok people. All Craig asked was if you all felt it was any of that he mentioned. I don't think he said that's the way he felt about it.
    Remember, if someone asks for an opinion they just want to know your thoughts on what they asked. It doesn't mean you attack everyone else's thoughts on it. That's just not right.

Diane, even though I don't like tatoos, when my ex got his marine tatoo I didn't mind. I thought it was cool that he was proud to show he is a soldier for his country. Looks like we have the exact same opinion on the matter.

13. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

As a young Marine, while in Downtown Honolulu, myself and some buddies went to get tattoos. We had heard that "Chinaman's Tattoos" was best. When we got there. late in the evening, he was out to lunch. (He worked nights to take advantage of service men's hours)
    Well, we went next door to the bar to wait for him. We closed down the place, got rip-roaring drunk, had a good time and totally forgot about getting tattoos. Next day, all hung over, we were bummed out we missed Chinaman. Some went the next week end and did it. But like that night of drunken revelry, I got over it. :D You can't just "get over" a tattoo. :(
    Call it providence or luck or whatever you wish, but I believe I was diverted from getting that thing in my flesh.
    To answer Craig; I think that it is all of the above, depending on the individual involved.

In HIS service;
    Jim

14. Servent

Servent Member

Well maybe I did take it the wrong way, I still like them.

15. natters

natters New Member

I agree with StephanM. His short answer is the best. [​IMG]

16. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Usually it is the sign of a Christian trying to follow worldly fads and "fit in".

I would be interested in an explanation of how someone got a tatoo expressly for the glory of God.

17. natters

natters New Member

Does Ezek 9:4-6 count? ;)

18. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. There is no indication of what the mark was or whether it was permanent.

On the other side, I don't think the OT scriptures cited by others here apply except in principle. Our objective should not be to look and act like unbelievers.

19. natters

natters New Member

What of earrings then? Are these permanent markings for the glory of God?

20. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

Not mine. My ear piercings were purely selfish. We really do some crazy things to these bodies huh?