1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are the Accepted Paradigms for Soul and Spirit Hindering our Understanding?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by skypair, Mar 30, 2008.

1. skypair

skypair Active Member

Larkin and Rogers, among others, shows that all inputs come through the flesh into the [IMO] spirit and are "filtered"/"processed there before "life changes" are made in the [IMO] soul.

I would find it really hard (as you must of mine) to work with your soul-spirit construct, BTW.

Well, actually, once you have been notified, you bear some of the responsibility in accepting or rejecting light that either leads to (or doesn't) into more light. I guess the proof is how do you judge that your model works in comparison with the trichotomy paradigm. Is yours easier to understand? to apply? to teach? I know that for me, though it is grounded in scripture, I don't believe it has been understandable because the "parts" haven't been analyzed and collated into a cogent, useable form.

I will try to bring more scriptural weight to bear. I will say that you seem to dismiss the "image" thing from many scriptures where we are given enlightening, confirming details about the Holy Spirit suggesting that our spirit is the image of the Holy Spirit -- or that God and soul/conscience correlate functionally as scripture suggests. You have totally let go of this same correlation soul-spirit-body to justification-sanctification-glorification which I think is probably the worse error since Christians really ought to know where there "power" comes from and how.

Anyway, blessings to you,

skypair

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My understanding of trichotomy has been very useful to me in my own life, in counseling everyone from a schizophrenic (now a successful author) to a drug addict. I've taught it in our Bible institute (and other places) and it has been blessed there, too.

Elaborate, please. And by all means give Scripture. I'll be waiting. :type:
    I don't even know what you are talking about. We've not even discussed what you are saying here. So how could you know what I have "let go" and not "let go"? :confused:

#22 John of Japan, Apr 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2008