1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are there any Confederates left?

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Salty, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

I've heard of these Confederates before. Quite interesting, don't you think? And that they have retained their Southern accent after nearly 150 years is really amazing.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If they were to return to the United States, what would they be known as:
    Confederate - Americians?

4. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whistling Dixie

Return from where? Self-imposed exile?

There are many who have never left. They fly the confederate battle flags in their yards and on their pickup trucks. They can also be identified by their confederate dogs, aka: Pitbulls. However, not all pitbulls belong to diehard rebels.

Strangely, covert rebels are found in churches--on a regular basis. White churches only, of course.

Jesus was not of a Caucasoid blood line.

Strange,

Selah,

Bro. James

5. North Carolina Tentmaker

My company operates a plant in San Paulo. I have met several people from our plant there and they said several families they know still have relatives they keep in contact with in the (former) Confederate States.

As far as today's rebels. Do you think they fly the rebel flag because they remember the Confederacy? Is it part of their family and regional heritage (In some cases I am sure it is). Or do you think it is at least in part as a show of respect for those men and women who once upon a time tried to stand up against a tryrannical government, and lost.

If our freedom and ability to govern ourselves was taken away today, would we stay and tough it out in our homes, or would we go find a new country?

6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brazilians.

7. North Carolina Tentmaker

Arn't those the nuts that are really hard to crack?

8. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's not what anybody in my family ever called them.

9. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I was born and raised in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

I've made my home in Louisiana, Florida, Mississippi, and now in Alabama

The last flag that General Lee waved in the face of General Grant was white!!! My grandpappy's grandpappy may have had a few Yanks in the "cross hairs" of his rifle----but in the end--it was to no avail!!!!

When the Confederates surrendered---the nation went defunct---it no longer operates as a nation---and I have never treated it like a nation---just a blob in the history books of the United States

10. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

When General Grant was about to catch General Lee's army he sent a communication to President Lincoln for advice on what to do with General Lee and his men. The President's reply contained various directions for disarmament and compliance procedures but the underling message was to let them go to their homes.
    The Confederacy was finished and by all rights all who had placed their loyalties in the Confederate cause should have been hung or lined up for a firing squad. This episode of American History is very unique in that in every defeated revolt has always resulted in a final blood letting or many of the non surrendered leaders would have continued the war for many more years. Yet they all went home.
    These that have went to Brazil with no intent to return home should not be thought of as Americans and the Confederate cause has been sent home and is at peace.

11. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Very interesting.
    Thanks for the link.
    :thumbs:

Hope all is well,
    BiR

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

A most excellent post!!:thumbs:

13. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Confederate Soldier

There was a story '[joke] they used to tell when I was a kid growing up in the Shenandoah Valley of VA. An old man in a tattered confederate uniform stumpled out of the Blue Ridge one day in 1950 and is reported to have said, "I don't care what General Lee says, I'm gonna surrender!":tonofbricks:

14. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I am a southerner living in New Jersey. When the conversation around the water cooler turns to the intrusiveness of the federal government, I tell them we (southerners) tried to do something about it in 1861, but you (northerners) wouldn't let us. I get a big kick out of the reaction when they realize what I'm talking about.

Indeed, we don't live in the republic formed by Washington/Jefferson. That ended in 1865. We live under a federal bureaucracy now. I wonder if it's any better in Brazil.

15. billwald

billwald New Member

I, personally, would support a new Declaration of Independence from our federal masters.

16. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

Is rebellion against our rulers not sin, dear Billwald?

17. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If so, then was the "Civil War" of 1776 sinful?

18. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

19. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

This is what we do every two years. I know that the obstacles are high every time we vote but we must continue to educate and avoid blood shed. There are so many different factions in our modern world that a new revolution will never get us back to the way it was in 1776. Nothing good will ever become of it.

20. southern_saint

southern_saint New Member

As well would I.