1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are there any Confederates left?

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Salty, Jan 25, 2008.

1. North Carolina Tentmaker

I know you probably intend that comment in jest Bill but it really is quite serious. As SCB pointed out from a morality standpoint there is no difference between the wars of rebellion fought in 1776 and 1861. The difference of course is in who won.

Prior to my commissioning as an Army officer I was asked by a board of officers, as I am sure most other cadets were, very specifically about this question. I imagine every potential officer since 1861 has been asked that question. If your state or your home or your family were to take up arms against the union would you join them? As a young man I took an oath that settled that question for me forever. I swore to defend the constitution and the government that it empowers. That oath specifically mentioned both foreign powers and domestic enemies that would subvert our government and as long as our government operates under that constitution I am bound to defend it.

I know that Jefferson said that we needed armed rebellion every 10 or 20 years to keep our government honest but I believe we have grown beyond that as a civilization. The threat of armed resistance will always help control oppressive governments but we can reform and change our government without bloodshed. I think the United States is a shining example to the world that such a thing is possible. When other nations have elections often there is rioting and bloodshed. Just look at Kenya. Our last presidential elections have been hard fought and our nation is almost evenly split. There are citizens of our nation that really hate George Bush and think he has empowered terrorists, hurt our standing in the world community and endangered American lives. There are other citizens (and this group includes me) that really hate Bill Clinton and think he was an embarrassment to our nation that hurt our standing in the world community, empowered terrorists through his own inaction and endangered American lives. These two groups argue and in many cases really hate each other. But how many riots do you see? How many cars burning in the streets? How many churches, homes, and businesses have been destroyed? How many have died in these politically motivated wars?

No, I don’t think we need a new declaration of independence or a new war of rebellion. And yes I will fight you over that:flower: :thumbs:

2. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

NCT NCT NCT NCT NCT:applause: