1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are there good and evil forms of music?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Aaron, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

2. AdoptedDaughter

AdoptedDaughter New Member

Aaron, It is not entirely the woman's fault. A simple khaki shorts and a baggy shirt may be all it takes to be "seductive", but is it the woman's fault? No, it is society's fault that women are no longer viewed as precious jewels in this society, and it is society's fault that men have no problem balming the women for THEIR actions!

In Chirst's gracious love,
    Teresa
    </font>[/QUOTE]1 Thessalonians 4:6

I didn't say the woman was entirely to blame, but the verse I cite here is the final word on the matter.
    </font>[/QUOTE]1 Thessalonians 4
    6 That no man go beyond and defraud his brother in any matter: because that the Lord is the avenger of all such, as we also have forewarned you and testified.

This verse? And how exactly are you applying it?

In Christ's gracious love,
    Teresa

3. uhdum

uhdum New Member

I've been gone quite a while, had lots of stuff going on...ha, I may be interrupting the entire ongoing dialogue of this comversation, but...

it seems to me, there is no such thing as "Christian" music...only Christian lyrics. Music is simply a sequence of pitches set to a variable type of instrument or instruments.

4. Odemus

Odemus New Member

It was evil communication in the music which elicited sinful violent reaction :eek:

5. Odemus

Odemus New Member

So you would think but it appears some are intent on throwing common sense out the window.

6. Brett Valentine

A true story. When I was younger and first heard the beginning music of Wagner's Opera Tannhauser, I thought it was pretty. Other than that, I don't think I had much of an "emotional/sensual" reaction though.

Later, after seeing the opera and reading the synopsis of the "ballet section" that begins the opera, I learned that it represented Tannhauser experiencing (and growing tired of) Venus' sensual pleasures. After learning that, I had a very clear picture of what the music was trying to portray.

My point is not that the music was intended to portray sensual pleasures, but that before I knew that, it did NOT send me that message at all.

It was not the music, but the MENTAL ASSOCIATION that portrayed the sensuality. This is not an isolated case. I could say the same thing for some of Strauss' tone poems as well as Berlioz' Sympnonie Phantastique (not counting the "Dies Ire" quotes).

Brett

7. AdoptedDaughter

AdoptedDaughter New Member

Good point,Brett, couldn't have said it better myself!

In Christs' gracious love,
    Teresa

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi, Brett Valentine. I think this is your first post in the Music Forum? Welcome. Look forward to more from you.

9. Odemus

Odemus New Member

I'm glad you welcome those who employ common sense to defeat your arguments.

[Unnecessary insult removed. - CK]

[Clint Kritzer orginally edited this post. I merely corrected his spelling ;) . Aaron.]

[ August 01, 2002, 01:35 AM: Message edited by: Aaron ]

10. Odemus

Odemus New Member

I said that was the most mature thing I had seen aaron post yet, how is that an insult?

While you're at it take the log out of your own eyes and start editing some of Aaron's posts. After all, he's a moderater here who set the standard for demeaning exchanges and unecessary insults.You might want to start with the post where he attacks my intelligence by insinuating that I don't have the reading comprehension of a 5th grader.

Talk about hypocrisy.sheesh.

[ August 01, 2002, 07:26 AM: Message edited by: Odemus ]

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  12. Odemus

Odemus New Member

I wasn't offended in the least.My point is that if statements like "that's the most mature thing I've seen you post yet" are subject to editing, then there's a serious double standard when some of the obviously hostile things you have said go untouched.

I agree, we both happen to be passionate about our convictions.If we can agree not to take things personally (as I certainly don't), then what is the problem?

13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't see any problem at all with passionate discussion, as long as the energy is directed toward the issues and not the person. As one rabbi put it, if I respect you then I will argue with you. If I don't I will simply smile, nod and go my way.

[ August 02, 2002, 10:17 PM: Message edited by: Aaron ]

14. emopunker

emopunker New Member

bu aren't rabbis of the devil? we shouldn't listen to them

15. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are we about done with this thread? I'm not seeing much new information and it is forcing the moderators to have to edit a lot of ad hominem attacks.

Somebody want to pick an idea off and start a new thread? This long and NOBODY will go back and read all 8 pages.

Tanks.

16. Brett Valentine

Thanks for the "welcome" Aaron. I have posted once or twice before, but it's been a while.

Brett

Okay, I'll pick off my point and create an new topic:"Is it the Music, or the "Mental Association" that is evil?"

http://www.baptistboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000290

[ August 05, 2002, 08:32 AM: Message edited by: Brett Valentine ]

17. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member