1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are Translations "Inspired" the Same Way the Originals Were?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Premise 1: Holy Scripture is God-breathed, without error, giving pure doctrine and perfectly chosen words.

Premise 2a: Translations of Holy Scripture are man-made and subject to error, doctrinal bias of the translators, word choices that are not the best, etc etc

or

Premise 2b: Translations of Holy Scripture are also God-breathed, without error, giving pure doctrine and perfectly chosen words.

Note - we are NOT talking about an accurate translation deriving inspiration from the original. We are talking about a translation being "inspired" (God-breathed) exactly the same as Paul or Peter or Moses.

Open for discussion.

2. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe a better term for translations is "God-Influenced". I think "inspire" indicates direct control of virtually aspect, while "influence" indicates causing someone to do something, but without micromanagement. As such, God put the idea in the heads of the various translators to make Bible translations, but He didn't micromanage their work. Thus we have the marks of the works of both God and man upon every translation.

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Translators were/are not prophets or apostles.
    Translators are not eye witnesses of the earthly ministry of Jesus Christ.
    Translators are not holy men of old moved by the Holy Spirit.
    Translators are usually scholars who have worked hard and long to achieve their status.
    Translators do not say "thus saith the Lord", they translate what already hath been said.
    Translations are followed by a series of revisions/corrections, God is incapable of the smallest error of any kind.

HankD

4. HappyG

HappyG New Member

Robycop3....I just took out my Greek NT and made a tranlation from the Greek to Spanish. I just did 1 chapter but if I were to make a translation of the entire NT would I fall into the category of being "God-influenced"?

5. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

God certainly influenced the translators. God even influences preachers when they preach.
    Why, once, God even influenced me.

But I am not without error.