1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are two morning services separating the church?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by jeronimo, May 26, 2001.

1. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

Col 2:11 In Him you were also circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the sins of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ,
    12 buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead.
    13 ¶ And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses,
    14 having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.
    15 Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it.
    16 ¶ So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths,
    17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ.

2. apeman

apeman Guest

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jeronimo:
    Some people in the church wanted an early morning service in order to help their needs. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IMHO it sounds like your pastor is kowtowing to the needs of a few? Was this discussed/voted on in a business meeting? Is your Church constitution set up to allow the pastor to make this kind of decision for the entire church? How could “Many members of the church didn't even know” if this was voted on in a church business meeting?

Jeronimo, you have heard from others, what is your point of view?

3. jeronimo

jeronimo New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Theological Neophyte:

IMHO it sounds like your pastor is kowtowing to the needs of a few? Was this discussed/voted on in a business meeting? Is your Church constitution set up to allow the pastor to make this kind of decision for the entire church? How could “Many members of the church didn't even know” if this was voted on in a church business meeting?

Jeronimo, you have heard from others, what is your point of view?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry about not replying sooner, but I didn't check this topic for a few days. Now, to answer your questions. You asked if this was discussed in a business meeting. No, it was not. In fact our pastor instituted within 2 weeks after our church voted to go to quarterly business meetings. This means we won't be able to bring this topic up until July 22. My parents have talked to the pastor personally, though.

Next question: Our pastor keeps saying our church is a congregational church. This means that we are supposed to go with the majority of the congregational votes. The Constitution limits the power given to the pastor.

In my opinion I think that this decision was terrible. I don't like the chruch services being so empty. I don't like not being able to fellowship with many of the Christians I have grown up with. Also, if we have meetings after church half the people won't even show up. I wouldn't like it even if the pastor had approached it differently.
    I wanted to hear from other fellow Christians before I made a final decision, too.

4. Q. Marlow

Q. Marlow New Member

I personally see this as a great thing. Of course I am one of these people who is in Church as often as posible!!! So now I get 4 hours of Church on Sundays instead of just 3!!! I would not have even realized there was a problem until a family or two brought it up. Truthfully I dont see where they are coming from! All I know is that the Church I went to just switched, and the Pastor did not have a business meeting, but either Sunday or Wednesday Evening he told the congregation that if they wanted a aearly morning service to talk to him during the week. He got a good response and so began to have two services! And the reason he even asked was becuase Sunday mornings it was elbow to elbow . It was a pain in a half. $0.02