1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are WalMarts good for Americans?

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by saturneptune, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Any pricing that is excessive be it small or large business is never good for the economy. Large businesses like walmart and Home depot are about 25 to 40 % less expensive. That is always good for the economy.

2. chuck2336

chuck2336 Member

As it has been said countless times, I think Wal-Mart is a good thing all around.

3. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

I can and will agree with this post. As a a previous member of management with Wal-Mart, I believe Wal-Mart is neither good or bad. I found that it wasn't the life I wanted to live. I was slated to take over my own Supercenter but gave my notice instead. The running joke was an 8 hour day was a vacation day for us.

The day Sam died, the company did change. He honestly wanted to sell items made in America and wanted to help the associates that worked for him. After his death, it's became very clear that the company was headed in a new, worse direction.

Since leaving, I have tried to shop there less. At first because I wanted to make a point to myself that Wal-Mart wasn't needed. Now I do it because I find myself wanting to support the mom and pop store.

I was with them for almost 8 years, and I left them about 7 years ago, and haven't missed them. I still shop there duing Black Friday or during a big sale, but I could go months without ever stepping foot in one.

Yes, they are cheaper on some things, but they don't hold the fabric of "middle" American together in my opinion.

Also, note on the cheaper part: They are cheaper for one a many reasons. One is a bit upsetting to me. They make the manufacturer make a sub product to sell cheaper. An example. The Mongoose bikes they sell are not the same standard or quality if you were to buy it from a bike shop. It's two different production lines.

It's small things like this that cause me to think about things when I buy them. They are cheaper for a reason, but what really is the reason? Volume? Different product? Cheaply made?

Wal-Mart is neither good or bad, but like anything else one can live without it.

Jamie

4. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

If this comment was made to me...please be advised that I am NOT a liberal and I am not out to hurt the poor. What makes you think that "I" am rich???

Growing up, we had mom and pop stores everyplace. If someone got sick, or we ran out of food in the middle of paychecks, we knew we could always 'charge' what we needed until payday.

That has gone the way of the covered wagon...we stay sick and hungry until payday now.

Since Wal-Mart built their Super Center, our downtown area has all but died. Smaller stores cannot compete with Wal-Mart prices, but they sure have better products (ones that last).

It has defintely changed since Sam died. When 911 happened, every store and house in our community flew a flag...except Wal-Mart. I asked the manager why. His reply was that Wal-Mart would not furnish the money and if the employees wanted a flag to fly outside the store, they would have to take up a collection and buy it themselves.

I made a phone call to headquarters and found out it was indeed true. The employees would have to pay for the pole, light, and installation out of their own pockets too. To this day, they do not fly the American flag. This incident does not set well with me.

I worked for Wal-Mart some time ago. I was hired to work 8 hour days. I always ended up working at least 10 hours most days, and on my day off I had to take the phone off the hook or just not answer it so I could stay home and get my own work done.

Someone said they work around sports schedules, etc. I will tell you what they do NOT work around and that is church schedules!

I liked our town better without Wal-Mart and I drive 70 miles round trip, when I can, if I have a lot to buy.

5. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I agree with you Sue. BTW, I never shop there. The only "big" store where I shop is Costco - and only on occasions. I much prefer the smaller, home-based stores. Same with restaurants. Why go to an Olive Garden when you can go to a local Italian restuarant??

6. Emily25069

Emily25069 New Member

This is an interesting thread to read.

Im not sure if Walmart is good or bad for the economy, but we avoid it for various reasons that we think are ethical. Health insurance, overworked employees, forcing companies to china, etc.

7. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

Why do you think these things are unethical?

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

The only one of these choices we have here is k mart, and they don't need walmart to make them look bad they do it on their own. the few people i know who shop there do it because theres no crowds, no customers. not to mention they are higher priced, i can't find help from an employee, and if you do find someone they don't know anything.

There are plenty of smaller or lesser known businesses here, and they're still open for business after walmarts been here for 20 yrs or so. they just cost a lot more, and in reality, mst of their products aren't as good. like dollar store towels shrink by half on the first washing.

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

We don't have costco here, but I did look them up online. The few items I am sure of local wal mart prices, I wouldn't be able to afford at costco, they were extremely higher.

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

The town wal mart is in here keeps growing, not dying off anywhere.

11. queenbee

queenbee Member

I worked for Wal-Mart some time ago. I was hired to work 8 hour days. I always ended up working at least 10 hours most days, and on my day off I had to take the phone off the hook or just not answer it so I could stay home and get my own work done. Someone said they work around sports schedules, etc. I will tell you what they do NOT work around and that is church schedules!

Your rationale and Sue's comment above is precisely why my husband and I don't give WM our business too. The only time I shop there is if I absolutely can't find what I'm looking for elsewhere - and that's rarely. Even if I have to spend a few dollars more, or go out of my way, I willingly do so to keep competition and my local community thriving, otherwise, your downtowns become ghost towns.

I came across an interesting article I read just the other day (sorry, wish I could remember exactly where), but the author suggested that WM has become the new GM and that they could eventually implode much like GM. Also, I found this article 'The Wal Mart Effect', a 3-part series (bit dated but still relevant) on the Los Angeles Times webswite. It helped to put things in clearer perspective.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-walmart23nov2303,1,1465953.story

12. Emily25069

Emily25069 New Member

Well, because I think employees should have good health insurance, and the biggest company in the world should be able to afford to provide some pretty good health insurance... but they cant.

I think that if an employee is going to work overtime, they should be paid for it. In some cases they are, but I have heard many cases where they are not even paid even though they are staying 2 plus hours after closing. Personal stories from folks I have known.

I think keeping things in America would be better for America.

I think a company as big as walmart has some responsibilities to the folks that are working for them.

If I have a choice between them and someone else, I will go to someone else.

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is illegal not to pay overtime. Most of the complaints I have seen here are true of any retail business big or small. No real justification for the hatred has been established yet.

14. Emily25069

Emily25069 New Member

Well, its all about choices isnt it?

I choose to not go there.

illegal or not, its the story of at least 2 people I can think of.

15. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Have you ever worked with Wal-Mart?

I am not sure about others, but my statements in this thread have not been hateful, but real life examples. I worked for Wal-Mart, and although I do go out of my way to avoid shopping with them, it's not because of hate it's bigger reasons to me.

Jamie

16. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Yep, sorry it is illegal not to pay overtime to non-exempt (hourly) workers -- federal law.

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In Florida it is illegal not to pay overtime to salaried workers as well. Don't you watch the Morgan & Morgan commercials?:laugh:

18. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Thankfully, we don't get those down here.

19. Emily25069

Emily25069 New Member

Illegal or not, it still happens.

There have been 2 cases WON where walmart was taken to court over this, and there are over 40 cases waiting.

Why does this happen?

Because they need to keep their labor costs down. Management gets in trouble if they have too many employees working overtime, and yet the work still needs to get done. 1+1=2. They have intense pressure from higher management to keep their employees in the store doing what needs to be done, but they cant pay them without getting in trouble.

YES. this is a case per case basis. Its not every store at all, but it is how Walmart does business. They run a very tight ship, almost forcing this to happen.

And then the unethical business practices causing folks to sell a substandard product, or to virtually go out of business themselves. Vlasic Pickles come to mind.

While there are a lot of folks taking advantage of the "good" that Walmart provides, Im going to choose to go to other stores and avoid the bad, because while all big companies are guilty of some of the same things, Walmart just seems to be its very own special brand of bad, and Im staying away. I'll go to Meijer where the prices are very competitive, but at least their employees are paid union wages.

To each his own!

20. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Every time I walk into a Wal Mart all I can think is that I am helping the communist Chinese elite enslave their own people. Our turn is coming folks. Wages are being driven down. Job security is a thing of the past. Choice? What choice? Either buy cheap Chinese goods that you can "afford" or mortgage your house to buy american goods if you can find them or go without.

Wal Mart and other corporate monopolies are not good for america. They are in fact and function anti american.

#40 poncho, Apr 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.