1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are WalMarts good for Americans?

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by saturneptune, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Ken mentioned that someone with a better business model may overcome Wal Mart, and that is true...Costco has a strict policy of applying a fixed mark-up to every product they sell. It averages out to quite a bit of savings to the consumer over the long haul. But, Wal Mart can choose to sell any product at a lower price, even if they lose money on it, (loss leaders) to give the perception that they are saving you money, which of course they are on those particular products, knowing that you will buy other products with larger margins. Read a story that Costco bought a certain widget at such a price that they could have sold it at triple mark up and still been under Wal's retail, and the temptation was great, but following policy, they sold out the first day, selling at half the Wal Mart retail price.

We have a small chain store called Bi-Mart, I think they're only in Oregon, which is employee owned and requires a membership, but they have carved out a big niche here, with pricing that beats Wal Mart most all of the time, and satisfaction is guaranteed. I only go to Wally if Bi-Mart doesn't carry it.

2. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

No. I won't shop there any more.

3. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I had a church member who was a employee with WM

They assigned him to Sporting Goods

Honest man, he was----when someone would come by and look at the Shotguns he'd be honest with them and tell them

"You can buy a better gun---same brand--over at (Such & Such) Sporting Goods---this gun from here(Wal-Mart) is a piece of junk!!!"

He'd be honest with Fishing equipment

"You can buy this rod and reel here---but (Such & Such) Sporting goods has better quality!!! This Rod and Reel will fall apart like wet cardboard!!!"

Needless to say---they shifted him from Sporting Goods "Pron---toe!!!"

Same with their yard equipment----personally---You couldn't hold a machine gun on me and tell me to buy a Murrey lawnmower---buddy---I'd laugh in your face---the most worthless piece of junk I have ever seen in my life!!!

WM is cheaper--true---in both catagories---money and quality

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.