1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are We Baptists Somehow "Afraid" of The Holy Spirit?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JesusFan, Jun 24, 2011.

1. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Great that we are "people of the Book"

But are we willing to allow the "author" of that Book chance to do as he would so will among us?

NOT asking for pew jumping, tongue singing, dancing around the pews etc

ALL of that NOT from Him

Just asking though are we willing to at times "step outside the closed" box we put ourselves in?

GLAd that we have rebuked rightly the false teaching and practices of those in pentacostal circles , but have over reacted to it sometimes, closed off His work among us?

#1 JesusFan, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2011
  2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I think you raise a valid point. A lot of folks are afraid to express some emotion in worship lest they're be accused of being "Holy Rollers."

I admit to having that reaction at times.

And I think the inhibition could come early in life, where we see such inhibitions in our churches as the norm. By the time we reach adulthood, any display, such as lifting hands in praise, or even shouting, makes us uncomfortable.

3. mandym

mandym New Member

I believe it can also from seeing so many extremes presented as the norm.

4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In what way??? give two or three examples???

5. Tater77

Tater77 New Member

Good point OP. The Pentecostals and Charismatics have ruined teaching and preaching of the Holy Spirit these days for Baptists.

Few go beyond the indwelling of the Spirit upon Salvation, thats about it.

6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Yes. I think we have ignored the third person of the Godhead much to our detriment.

I think this manifests itself best with "seeker-sensitive" churches.

Marketing replaces the Spirit empowered delivery of the Gospel for growth.

I think we see it in the pressure to make our churches as little churchy as possible so that they will appeal to more people.

We have to do these kinds of things because we have no Acts 1:8 POWER.

If we had the POWER of the Holy Spirit we could preach for an hour, sing to organ music, build "churchy" churches rather than this new warehouse style "worship center" business, put robes on our choirs, sing old hymns, and still build large churches and take our culture for Christ.

I'm not saying that that is the only way to do church- I am saying the categorical abandonment of that for everything that appeals to nearly everyone who knows not God is, imo, a direct effort at replacing the power of the Holy Spirit to be witnesses.

7. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

That's why I'm so glad our wonderful little church is the way it is. We are the old-fashioned preach for an hour, sing to old hymns (we have an organ but no one plays it...yet), Bible reading, toe-stomping on preaching kind of church. The first time we visited our church my DH was not saved and we went for a Gospel Sing on a Sunday Evening. They were "crazy, wild people" according to my husband because they were enjoying the music...clapping, raising hands, amening...and my husband said, "I'm never going there again! We've been there going on 8 years now and he's now one of those crazy wild people, saved by the blood of Christ who enjoys being in the Lord's House. Church shouldn't be a three-ring circus but Christians ought to be able to enjoy being there and the Holy Spirit ought to be able to move among the people and people feel the freedom to respond in whatever way they're moved.

We're TOO negative on....what did Iconclast call it? Nonesense? IMHO

8. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    is this your church diamond lady?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=215C-tadRmk&feature=related
    or this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go4w5S8l1mE&feature=related
    or ,then we have some "toe stomping"here
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTFznHa1Hds&feature=related

if it is.......you can have it!

9. JesusFan

Some still believe that God can heal IF It be in His Will, so wewould have prayers made for the ill among us...

Some still see the Holy Spirit has able to move into a community, so would have prayer meetings asking God to release Him to do His work

Some still see that God can prompt, convict, lead in situations by the small still "voice/impression" from Hs

Just saying that he can do things "outisde" the Book as he so wills, and that there are things he could do, but we "have not because you ask not" that our lack of trusting Him to take control over the praise/worshop/teaching basically entire program of the local Church

He will do things in order and in accordance with the Bible, but just might have surprises for us along the way!

10. JesusFan

I was raised after the Lord saved me in a "pentacostal" Church, thnkfully, pastor a godly man, Seminary trained, pretty baptist actually in praise/teaching etc

DID have tongues/prophecy BUT not the norm every service, infrequent practiced, and the pastor did rebuke when he felt was Non biblical, out or order, so kept it reined in pretty tightly!

NOT asking for us to go and start doing that, just that we can learn from them about having heart led praise/worship. and OK to have the Lord be able to speak to us thru tjhe Bible and thru the Holy Spirit by his prompting/urgings/conviction etc

just trying to keep a balnce between those who have "the Bible and Nothing more" and those who say "Got it all in Holy Ghost"

11. Winman

Winman Active Member

Our church has just started an in-depth study on the Holy Spirit in Sunday School, our pastor said this study may take us through the rest of the year. We had our second class today, and today we studied that the Holy Spirit is a literal person (although a spirit) with a real personality, not some magical force. We also studied that the Holy Spirit has part in almost all workings of God from creation to raising Jesus from the dead. Very interesting class so far, I am really enjoying it.

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Amen sister!

13. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

I think we Baptists are sometimes a bit *hesitant* in this regard...probably due to the excess in some charismatic circles.

We (my church) are blessed in that our pastor is fine with lifting hands and people saying "praise the Lord" when appropiate.

#13 Alive in Christ, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2011