1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are we beating a dead horse?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jkdbuck76, Jan 9, 2007.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I just heard a sermon from Alistair Begg of Parkside Church, a local popular preacher say something that made me do a "huh"? When quoting John The Baptist, he said "Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the worlds".
    How is this clearly not adding to the Word of God? What "worlds" could he have been talking about? I love the guy, and listen to him every time I can, but this did not sit right in me.

2. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you think the above Scriptures refer to a man's eternal status, I am sorry to say you have them wrong.
    Either Jesus is the only Savior, and He came and did what He came to do, or Jesus AND men are co-Saviors, Jesus the Cross and His blood, and man the gospel and his preaching.

3. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Abide

The branch that does not abide in the vine is good for nothing but the fire.

Jesus works through us.

If a farmer kicked back and let God do all the work, He would have no harvast.

We are the hands and feet of God.

No one can believe without a preacher preaching to them. How preciouse is the feet that brings the good news.

Romans 10:15
    And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!"

4. psalms109:31

Paul

Romans 11:13I am talking to you Gentiles. Inasmuch as I am the apostle to the Gentiles, I make much of my ministry 14in the hope that I may somehow arouse my own people to envy and save some of them. 15For if their rejection is the reconciliation of the world, what will their acceptance be but life from the dead?

5. skypair

skypair Active Member

Ha-ha! "Emotional deck??" Friend, is it fate or is it free will?? I vote for your latter construct -- as I'm sure God would. :D

skypair

6. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Calvinists also witness and hope that what they do will somehow be instrumental in the salvation of others. Who gets the credit? For it is God who works in us to will and to do according to His good purpose. Soli Deo Gloria.

7. skypair

skypair Active Member

It bears saying again on this page.

Darryl -- nice article but 1) the lost must be reached (and only are) with the real gospel (1Cor 15:1-3), not with the gospel according to Calvin. And 2) God is not pleased to have us sit idley by waiting for Him to act. He has given us a commission and it is WE that must go! God's plan is about free will -- not fate!

skypair

#27 skypair, Jan 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2007
  8. skypair

skypair Active Member

Sorry -- does not compute.

You're saying that because a man believes, that he saved himself?? You know, there's an element of truth in that. Because I believed, I put my flesh on His cross with Him -- I was dead and buried with Him -- I live a resurrected life, literally! I have a new "glorified body" -- "terrestrially" glorified, that is. I am the "image" of Christ in the world and so is EVERY BELIEVER!!

Have YOU been baptized into Christ??

skypair

9. psalms109:31

Since our wages of our sin is death, believing in Jesus in what He has done for us brings glory to God alone.

If our wages for our sin was belief, then all glory to man, but it isn't it is death so all glory goes to God alone.

We are saved by grace through faith. God is just handing us our faith through His word, all we have to do is accept it.

Who glorifies Himself for accepting a free gift, we glorify the giver and the maker of it.

By accepted something we can't say look at what my hands have made.

10. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, that's not at all what I'm saying.
    I'm saying that either Jesus alone saves, or Jesus and the gospel preacher saves.
    So, which is it to you ?
    Read my post again.

11. psalms109:31

Gospel

Gospel= good news.

The Gospel introduces the Saviour.

How can they believe without some1 preaching to them?

Gospel preached Jesus saves.

#31 psalms109:31, Jan 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2007
  12. skypair

skypair Active Member

Oh. Well, my late pastor used to say that NT salvation was passed by "infection" -- like a cold, one person to another. But the pastor, for instance, is just the "carrier." He carried the "bug" just like all Christians do.

And when we do pass it on, we are really just the body of Christ -- so it is still Christ that saves.

skypair

13. npetreley

npetreley New Member

No, but we can say, "I chose rightly, and that person over there did not. Glory be to me for making the right decision vs. that other person."

Or, as Spurgeon put it...

14. skypair

skypair Active Member

The reverse of which, I'm afraid, is false modesty and humility which I grant you --- Calvinists have that in abundance!

Have you considered what Christ said about Sardis lately. "You have a name that liveth but art dead." Sardis IS the architypical Reform/Calvinist church. They DO have the name of Jesus, but since they refuse to "receive" Him (on account they can have no part in their own salvation), they are still as "dead" as the man who does nothing and continues in his natural state.

skypair

#34 skypair, Jan 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2007
  15. psalms109:31

Believing in Jesus has nothing to do with man's dicision, but God's discision to save believers. It is because God discided to save believers that we are saved.

If any man say's it is what I have done that saved me, they are a liar and the truth is not in them. The cost for our salvation is death.

16. npetreley

npetreley New Member

If any man says, "It was I who made the decision", or even "It is I who chose to believe", then he is saying that he is the hinge and turning point of his own salvation. He can say that he didn't make the way, Jesus did. But he is saying that he wouldn't be saved except for his own action.

17. psalms109:31

It is God's action on the croos, if it was man's action that saved Him then He would be on the cross and not Jesus. You are trying to make belief the work for our salvation but it is not.

It is God who makes the rules, we are not depending on us at all, but on God's word. We are saved by grace through faith. Our salvation hinges on God and His word.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This is a strawman, and NOT what 99.999% of non calvinists think or believe. I think you know that, but it makes your positon look oh so humble... :rolleyes:

19. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Then why don't you explain what you believe instead of the rolling of the eyes. That might be helpful webdog.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

OK. I don't believe what Npetreley stated :)