1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are we "little christs"?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by MalkyEL, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Spirit and Truth

Spirit and Truth New Member

Must be the "ghost" in the machine....wow three posts.....my computer went wacky......

2. Spirit and Truth

SharpSword:

That's an interesting concept. Praying Bridgets 15 prayers come with 20 plus promises if a person prays them everyday for a year with no misses. Not only repetitive and mantras, but superstitious too.

S&T:

So if I pray them, and ask that Mel never make another religious movie for the rest of his career, what will happen?

3. MalkyEL

MalkyEL Guest

probably one of those "spirits" lurking around the movie :eek:

4. Spirit and Truth

Is my breath okay now? I rinsed out my mouth with holy water. It has about as much of God's power as the movie does.

5. Spirit and Truth

The holy water didn't work too well for the catholic priest in the Exorcist movie. That could have been a very short movie if they had called an "on fire", filled with the Holy Spirit Baptist preacher.

6. MalkyEL

MalkyEL Guest

we may not get a "religious" movie out of it, but it may well be another monster out of control . . . if the Christian community embraces it like the this last piece of contaminated celluloid, we may find ourselves in the tribulation, with flats on all tires of the rapture bus . . . :rolleyes: [​IMG]

7. Spirit and Truth

Too bad the Passion wasn't out at that time. They could have shown it to the demons, they would have felt right at home with the mystical information in the movie that was originally suplied by them, and they would have left the poor unarmed priest alone.

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

I've heard of this before, it usually from people like Benny Hinn. The concept is in no way christian/biblical.

9. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Benny and Co.---along with Copeland, Creflo Dollar and "The Gang" all emphasize the concept

There is a passage in the OT though, where God addresses Moses----Exodus 7:1, "And I will make thee a god unto Pharoah . . ." A preacher will get in trouble if he only exegetes this passage "on the surface" which is the only preaching you get with Copeland and Co----not even wet gunpowder!

10. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

OK Sharpsword,

You've got me - I'm a closet new ager!! [​IMG]

The literal meaning of "Christian" is probably "little Christ". Greek words ending in "ion" are usually diminutives - and Christian is likely an example of this.

As far as I know the first to say, "we must be as little Christs", in our vernacular was Martin Luther (the great new age heretic - ha ha).

"Some indeed preach Christ of envy and strife..."

"The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds."

"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become a sounding brass or a tinkling cymbal".

Wow, I just quoted a scripture!! - 3 of them!

You can make fun of wanting to be a little Christ - but that's what I want to be!! That's what we should all want to be - or chould I call you "sharp cymbal" Ha Ha [​IMG] Just kidding.

11. Charles Meadows

Oh by the way, yes I am baptist and attend a baptist church. My father in law is one of the old time Baptist "on fire "preachers.

My shoe size is 10 1/2.
    I'm 5'8 170.
    Brown hair, blue eyes.
    One wife, three kids.
    I'm a hospital internist.

Now you know me!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. sharpSword

sharpSword Guest

You know Charles. People are known by their words. 'Just kidding' is a comment often added to try to justify intent to insult, ridicule or mock others. People who enter into debate forums need to be actually able to answer questions instead of sidestepping, and never answering questions directly put to them or acknowledging the factual and Scriptural information provided to them. By sidestepping and never answering the questions, they are showing they don't have a Scriptural or factual leg to stand on.

"Little Christs" is a new age term and is the alternate term to the 'little gods' heresy. It is not a Scriptural term nor is it a Christian term and it is certainly not a Baptist term. It should not be used in reference to who we are in Christ. It is false doctrine.

We are not little Christs. The term Christian is to be a disciple of Christ or follower. That does not make us 'little Christs'.

Mt 10:24 The disciple is not above his master, nor the servant above his lord.

disciple > maqhth/v from (3129)

Definition
    a learner, pupil, disciple

3129 manqa/nw
    Original Word Word Origin
    manqa/nw prolongation from a primary verb, another form of which, matheo, is used as an alternate in certain tenses

Transliterated Word Manthano

Parts of Speech Verb

Definition
    to learn, be appraised
    to increase one's knowledge, to be increased in knowledge
    to hear, be informed
    to learn by use and practice
    to be in the habit of, accustomed to

Translated Words
    KJV (25) - learn, 24; understand, 1;
    NAS (25) - educated, 1; find, 1; learn, 12; learned, 9; learning

Matthew 27:57 When the even was come , there came a rich man of Arimathaea, named Joseph, who also himself was Jesus' disciple :

Strong's Number: 3100 maqhteu/w from (3101)

Transliterated Word > Matheteuo

Parts of Speech Verb

Definition
    to be a disciple of one
    to follow his precepts and instructions
    to make a disciple
    to teach, instruct

Translated Words
    KJV (4) - be disciple, 1; instruct, 1; teach, 2;

We follow Christ's precepts, and instructions and learn God's Word so we do not sin against Him.

We are to become a reflection of Him...but we can never be Him or be perfect like Him. We are to learn and study to show ourselves approved.

In other words Charles, we are to become like Christ in thought and deed. I was looking for that phrase "just kidding' in the words of our Lord. Do you have that Scriptural reference?

Christ, Paul and the other disciples, who were our examples of how to live for Christ, reasoned from the Scriptures...always. The disciples didn't depend on their own self wisdom. They used the precepts and concepts and words from the Sciptures and Christ, to refute , teach, instruct and correct and validate what they were saying.

I don't think that concept is something that should be mocked by those claiming to be of Jesus Christ, do you?

Acts 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

2 Tim 3:14 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them;
    15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
    16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
    17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

13. Charles Meadows

"Each one of us are to be like little Christs, representing him in this world."

- Martin Luther

Yep that's that great new age heretic Luther!!

The term "Christian" means little Christ.

Words ending in -ion are dimunitives.
    Words ending in -ianos mean like something or patterned after something.
    The most common literal translation of "Christian" is "little Christ"!

Now if YOU have no desire to emulate Christ that's your problem. Remember even the devil can quote the bible verbatim! WE are to LIVE like Christ!! Your LEGALSIM shows your MISUNDERSTANDING of the scriptures!!

1 Jn 4:20 If a man say, I love God and hateth his brother, he is a liar..."

Now I'm still going to try to be a "little Christ" - if you want to be "little Pharisee" that's your choice!

Did I just quote scripture again?? And KJB no less!! [​IMG]

14. Glory Bound

Glory Bound New Member

I heard this ages ago - and that the term "Christian" was initially meant as an derogatory term for the followers of Christ. Christians were mockingly called "little Christ" because they were attempting to live like Him.

Perhaps the New Age people use that term also. I don't know about that, but I don't think we should give it up just because they do.

15. sharpSword

sharpSword Guest

"Perhaps the New Age people use that term also. I don't know about that, but I don't think we should give it up just because they do. "

Oh I don't know. The Term "Little Christs" implies having the Divinity of Christ, which is why it is used in conjuction with the 'little gods' heresy. Therefore, the information has been provided in this thread which shows it to be used by the New age and heretics. We're to abstain from all appearance of evil.

Whereas the term reflection of, conformed to the image of, having the mind of Christ, beling like Christ in attitude and actions and being a follower or disciple of Christ, which is the definition of Christian, states Biblical truths.

Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

1 Timothy 6:3 If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;
    4 He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,

I look at what the Word of God states. A Christian is someone who is a follower of the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ, and who Believes all He is.

Strong's Number: 5546

Xristiano/v

Transliterated Word
    Christianos

Parts of Speech Noun Masculine

Definition
    Christian, a follower of Christ

Translated Words
    KJV (3) - Christian, 3;
    NAS (3) - Christian, 2; Christians,

Word Origin
    Xristiano/v from (5547)

The term "little christs" is not found in the Greek Lexicon.
    Searches yielded the following results.

Interlinear Bible

Nestlé-Aland 26 Greek Text >

Your query for 'little christs' in 'The King James Version (Authorized) failed to return any results.

1894 Textus Receptus

Your query for 'little christs' in 'The King James Version (Authorized)' failed to return any results.

1991 Byzantine
    Your query for 'little christs' in 'The King James Version (Authorized)' failed to return any results.

no entries in the Easton's Bible Dictionary matching "little christs".

The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia >no entries in the International Standard Bible Encyclopedia matching "little christs".

no entries in the Hitchcock's Bible Names matching "little christs".

no entries in the King James Dictionary matching "little christs".

no entries in the Smith's Bible Dictionary matching "little christs".

I have searched various Bible versions...KJB, The Message, Douay Rheims, NASB, Parallel, Good News, International Standard, The Latin Vulgate, The Bishop's Bible (1568), 'The Geneva Bible (1587),'Tyndale New Testament (1526)','The Wycliffe Bible (1395)' ,'Young's Literal Translation' ,'Webster's Bible Translation' ,'World English Bible' , 'Holy Bible: Easy-to-Read Version', 'Holy Bible, The New Living Translation' , and others..

Could you provide the chapter and verse from the Scriptures for 'little Christs' please?

Paul said

1 Cor 11:1, "Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
    "
    Phil 3:17, "Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample.

Eph. 2: 8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
    9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
    10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Titus 1:9 Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.

Ephesians 4:29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

Col 2:6 As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him:
    7 Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.

2 Peter 1:2 Pet 1:1 Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ:
    2 Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,
    3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
    4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
    5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
    6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
    7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.
    8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

16. Charles Meadows

Sharpsword,

You continue to demonstrate your lack of understanding!

I happened to look up "king james bible" in the lexicon and it is not there. I guess that means we cannot use that phrase either! Is it new age as well?

"Little Christs" is a periphrastic translation. It is an expression of one's attempt to desire to emulate Christ. I suppose you think Martin Luther was a new age heretic as well - or do you even know who Martin Luther was?

The early Christians were mocked by being called "little Christs". I suppose they were new agers as well.

I guess a new ager is anyone with whom Sharpsword (aka sharp cymbal) decides to disagree. [​IMG]

17. Glory Bound

Glory Bound New Member

Well, if the New Agers and heretics decide to call themselves Christians (maybe they do already, I don't know) what are we to do... come up with another name for ourselves?

The KKK use the cross as a symbol for what they believe... are we to stop using the cross?

18. sharpSword

sharpSword Guest

I was just looking at the posting rules to see about certain issues pertaining to name calling, personal attacks and such.... which is used instead of answering questions or providing source documents or Scriptural proof.

3. Show grace to the other posters. When someone disagrees with you, discuss it; but be slow to offend, and eager to get into the Word and find the answers. Remember, when discussing passionate issues, it is easy to go too far and offend. Further, if we are "earnestly contending for the faith" it would be unrealistic not to expect at times to be misunderstood or even ridiculed. But please note that your words can sometimes be harsh if used in the wrong way. The anger of man worketh not the righteousness of God.
    4. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. The board has an edit button enabled. We encourage you to use it and edit your own words. Moderators and Administrators will be visibly proactive in dealing with potentially offensive situations. Posts of a violent or threatening nature, either implicitly or explicitly, will be deleted, and the poster's membership revoked. We encourage personal problems with other members be resolved privately via email or personal messaging."

It seems to me that this question should be easily answered Charles.

Could you provide the chapter and verse from the Scriptures for 'little Christs' please?

If you cannot provide the Scripture or that greek definition of Christian from a reputable source, then please refrain from trying to provide opinion. If you cannot answer the questions just say so. No big deal. No personal attacks necessary to show you don't have the information I was looking for.
    Thank you

19. MalkyEL

MalkyEL Guest

Glory Bound wrote:
    Well, if the New Agers and heretics decide to call themselves Christians (maybe they do already, I don't know) what are we to do... come up with another name for ourselves?

The KKK use the cross as a symbol for what they believe... are we to stop using the cross?

MalkyElahh: There is nothing sacred or holy about either being called Christian or in using the cross. They are the traditions of men, neither can you find applicable use of them in the Word of God.

We sort of get bunched up about these things, but really, in the life of the true believer, symbols and names should be a non-issue.

It's interesting that this country is known as a "Christian" nation. A high percentage consider themselves Christian regardless if they attend church, follow Jesus, or just "slide" into that category because they consider themselves "good" so therefore it gives them the "right".

If it is true that the word "Christian" was initiated as a mock name, then I am curious why today, we consider that the proper term to be called as followers of our Savior and King. Interesting.

The cross symbol was around long before Jesus came to earth. It is simply an execution symbol; a device that the Romans used for the death penalty, at that point in history. The cross symbol has been used for 1000's of years in pagan cultures and today in satanism and the KKK which was mentioned.

When Paul said that he gloried in the cross, and that he preached the cross, he was not referring to the cross symbol, but that by Jesus' death, He paid the penalty of sin for those who believe on Him.

Phil 3:7 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.
    8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,
    9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:
    10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;
    11 If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.

Shalom, MalkyElahh [​IMG]

20. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I think Sharpsword is completely missing the issue by buying into this new age stuff. Typically, in Christian circles, "little Christ" is meant as someone who imitates Christ with their life, someone who is a disciple. We often look at a child who acts like his father who might be named "Bill" and say "You are just a little Bill." It is way of describing an imitator. That is what we are to be. The term little Christ does not imply having divinity of any sort. I have heard that term all my life and it was never associated with divinity. It meant a follower of Christ.

Some have suggest that the term in Acts is a diminutive form of Christ, meaning "little Christ." That is probably not true. But it does not change the point here.

You are getting hung up on terminology that is neither biblical nor unbiblical. It is irrelevant. If people you hang around with use the term "little Christ" to mean "divinity" or some such thing, then don't use it. But at the same time, realize that it has a perfectly appropriate meaning and it is not up to you to decide that people cannot use it with that meaning. As always, a word means whatever the speaker/author intends it to mean. Using a word in an unconventional way may hamper communication and cause confusion, but the author/speaker gets to determine what the word means. And there are plenty who use the term "little Christ" with a perfectly appropriate sentiment to mean a follower or imitator of Christ.