1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are we "little christs"?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by MalkyEL, Apr 5, 2004.

1. MalkyEL

MalkyEL Guest

Pastor Larry wrote:
    As always, a word means whatever the speaker/author intends it to mean. Using a word in an unconventional way may hamper communication and cause confusion, but the author/speaker gets to determine what the word means. And there are plenty who use the term "little Christ" with a perfectly appropriate sentiment to mean a follower or imitator of Christ.

MalkyElahh: I find it rather discomforting to be called a "little christ". Although this is a Baptist community, that term in known throughout the Word of Faith/Full Gospel/Charismatic movement as part of their theology. They are millions in number.

If you prefer to be linked up arm in arm with those who go around believing they were reborn, just as Jesus was [after he took on the nature of satan], and have become gods [as He did - AFTER He was resurrected] with the ability to heal, cast out demons, and raise the dead equal to Jesus, then I suppose you may find it satisfactory.

For myself, I find the whole premise unbecoming, and a downright abominination to the One Who gave me Life. I am a bond servant of the Lord Jesus Christ, I am not a "mini" Christ.

Shalom, MalkyElahh :cool:

2. Spirit and Truth

Spirit and Truth New Member

I agree with SharpSword that we should try not to use terms that are the foundation of new age teaching.

1Th 5:22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.

3. sharpSword

sharpSword Guest

I miss no point in anything that has been said. The term Little christs by itself means a smaller but identical version of something. Everything is the same only smaller. We are not God manifest in the flesh. We are not divine. We are not perfect. We are not Saviors. We are in fact sinners saved by grace. We are not identical to Christ nor can we be. We are still in the flesh and still fall to sin.

We can only reflect a small portion of who Christ is by applying the Scriptures to our lives. Becoming like Him in attitudes and thoughts and actions...but never Him. We are not an exact duplicate and smaller version of Him.
    Traditions of men and those thoughts and habits still must align to the Word of God.

If you could provide the greek definition that shows Christian means "little christs".... and the Scripture that supports the concept of 'little Christs.'

Thank you.

4. Spirit and Truth

SharpSword:

We are not God manifest in the flesh. We are not divine. We are not perfect.

S&T:

Neither was the other "Jesus" portrayed in the passion movie.

[​IMG]

5. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Sharpsword,

OK I won't call you sharp cymbal anymore. Sorry. Yes I probably should not say such things. I however don't particularly appreciate the dialogue regarding my church orientation - implying that I'm using new age terms.

I gave you the definitions of Christianos. The term is probably an "ianos" noun - this means something derived from something else although the word has been perceived by many as being diminutive as well. And yes I can read Greek (classical and Koine) and don't need the Strong's concordance numbers for words. The fact is that the term has been used of Christians historically, implying that they should try to be "like Christ". Luther himself used it as such. If new agers want to call themselves "little Christs" then that is their sin. I never said that any bible contained "little Christ". But again the bible never says "king james" yet we don't have a problem referring to the Holy Bible as the KJB.

Again, let me explain my use of scripture. If we seek to find what scripture says regarding something we should read ALL appropriate passages in proper context. Like I said the devil can quote scripture just as well as you and I. A list of lots of verses does not necessarily make a cogent argument.

6. MalkyEL

MalkyEL Guest

S&T:
    Neither was the other "Jesus" portrayed in the passion movie.

MalkyElahh: Right you are. I also understand that James Caviezel, who was the "little christ" of the movie perceives himself as such in real life as well. At least one can presume so. He likes to bring attention to his intials, J.C. and his age at the time of his portrayal [33].

James also took Catholic mass every day while on the set - which believes in the literal eating of Jesus body and drinking of His literal blood. James made the comment that he needed to get more of "Jesus" in him [the mass] so that he could more accurately portray him.

Now that would be an example of becoming a "little christ" [small "c" as in anti-christ].

7. Charles Meadows

Yes,
    :eek:
    This is why I am baptist now and not catholic!!

8. fcs25

fcs25 New Member

" Little gods/christ" is a common heresy that is found within the chrasmatic word of faith movement.Copeland/Hinn/and others teach this concept which is false.

9. MalkyEL

MalkyEL Guest

I thought it might be interesting to look at someone else who perceives himself as a "little christ". Benny Hinn.

Benny Hinn has spent the last number of years wooing the W of F/charismatic movement with his signs and wonders ministry.

However; the Jesus Benny preaches, is not the Jesus of the Bible. His philosophy is that of Hagin, Copeland, Oral Roberts, Joyce Meyer and others who believe that Jesus divinity was gained by an act of God as His resurrection.

Hinn, without fail, makes his "appearance" on stage in a way that causes one to believe in his contrived "holiness" and "godliness". His suit is always white and he waits until the audience has been charged up emotionally before he shows up. He makes his entrance in the throes of "How Great Thou Art" sung by a mass choir, orchestra, and congregants with arms raised to the cheers and claps of all.

Does the concept of "little christ" become a little clearer, a little more sickening? How about we give this term some serious thought, reflecting on God's Word for His Truth and how He views the term?

1 Timothy 6:13 I give thee charge in the sight of God, who quickeneth all things, and before Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed a good confession;
    14 That thou keep this commandment without spot, unrebukable, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ:
    15 Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords;
    16 Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen.

10. sharpSword

sharpSword Guest

"OK I won't call you sharp cymbal anymore. Sorry"

Apology accepted Charles. But don't call me a Pharisee, legalistic, am hatefilled and unloving
    or similar again. It is ungodly and counter productive. Use of the Word of God in analysis is required, not something to be ridiculed.

MY mention of you in this thread was merely due to your use of the term 'Little Christs' after it was stated by Diane that no Baptists use that term. You and others apparently use it, along with new agers and heretics. I have only ever seen it used by new agers and heretics.

"I gave you the definitions of Christianos."

No Charles. You gave your interpretation of it. I would like to see a reputable Greek lexicon or similar source for Christian or Christianos defined to mean "little christs". Other people studied in Greek have not seen that definition. Please provide the published source for it. I sincerely want to see the actual definition of Christianos or Christian meaning 'little christs' from a published source. Not someone talking about it in a sermon or talk.

"ifwe seek to find what scripture says regarding something we should read ALL appropriate passages in proper context."

Exactly Charles. So please provide me with the Scripture that actually shows the concept of being 'little Christs' versus being like Christ, or having the mind ot Christ and so on.

11. Charles Meadows

You won't find me defending Benny Hinn either. But the term was used respectfully by Martin Luther and was applied to early church Christians. You don't have to use it - and really I can't think of the last time I even used it - but that doesn't mean you should attack anyopne who uses it in a respectful way. Sharpsword herself insisted that the term is not in the bible - so its use is not explicitly condemned. Again - can you condemn wanting to be as similar to Jesus as possible?

12. MalkyEL

MalkyEL Guest

Charles,

You are saying that Martin Luther has more validity than the Word of God. Luther was not perfect, he was a man who intrepreted the Bible based on his own perceptions and traditions. Not everything that Luther taught is Biblical.

Although He was used of God as a great reformer, in elevating him to a position that equals those who were inspired to write God's Word, is like saying that God made a mistake in His Word and is using Martin Luther to correct it.

When man's interpretation supercedes God's express intent, he has indeed set himself up at a "little christ" or as God's equal.

13. MalkyEL

MalkyEL Guest

Psalm 78:19 Your righteousness reaches to the skies, O God,
    you who have done great things.
    Who, O God, is like you?

Psalm 89:6 For who in the heaven can be compared unto the LORD? who among the sons of the mighty can be likened unto the LORD?

Exodus 15:11
    Who is like unto thee, O LORD, among the gods? who is like thee, glorious in holiness, fearful in praises, doing wonders?

Deuteronomy 33:29
    Happy art thou, O Israel: who is like unto thee, O people saved by the LORD, the shield of thy help, and who is the sword of thy excellency! and thine enemies shall be found liars unto thee; and thou shalt tread upon their high places.

2 Chron 6:14
    And said, O LORD God of Israel, there is no God like thee in the heaven, nor in the earth; which keepest covenant, and shewest mercy unto thy servants, that walk before thee with all their hearts:

14. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

You find it unbecoming. I find it trivial becuase whatever the word faith people may mean by it does not determine what we mean by it. The fact that they use a term different than we do does not mean the term is invalid. I would suggest that if you are uncomfortable don't use it. But your discomfort does not mean that we should do away with a perfectly valid term to describe followers of Christ. To be a follower of Christ is not an abomination to him. And that is how "little Christ" is generally used in Baptist circles that I know about.

No it doesn't. You are wrong on this point. I have been in church for more than 30 years and have missed fewer Sundays than you can count on one hand. I have heard the term "little Christ" many many times and have never heard anyone suggest what you suggest. Your background has caused you to bring a faulty meaning to the word as we use it. If the charismatics and the like use it in their way, that does not mean that our use of it is invalid. For instance, we use the term "salvation" as do other religions. We mean something entirely different by it. We do not let their misuse affect our proper use. We should not do that here.

You are bent out of shape over a non-issue. In typical Baptist circles, "little Christ" means "follower of Christ" or "someone who imitates him." There is no thought of divinity in it.

15. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

The term "Little Christ's" sounds prideful and boastful---folks going around thinking they have arrived at the same spiritual level as Jesus!

Here is how John the Baptist put it---"I must decrease, He must increase!"

The term "Little Christ" has one too many "I's" in it---the only "I" that needs to be in it is Jesus----the other "I's" need to reckon ourselves as dead men unto Him!

16. Spirit and Truth

Malky Elahh:

I also understand that James Caviezel, who was the "little christ" of the movie perceives himself as such in real life as well. At least one can presume so. He likes to bring attention to his intials, J.C. and his age at the time of his portrayal [33].

S&T:

Since the "chosen" languages of the movie were Aramaic and Latin, then shouldn't we go with them to address this situation? [we will also need to use the Greek that they "left out" of the movie]

The Name used for the actor portraying Jesus in the film was the Aramaic/Hebrew "Yeshua". The pharisees in the movie also addressed him [mockingly] as "M'Shikha" meaning Messiah.

Jesus is derived from the Latin Name Iesus, which came from the Koine Greek Name Iesous. The Greek came from the transliteration of the Aramaic/Hebrew name Yeshua which is the short form of Hebrew Yehoshua.

Christ is not a name, but a title, and comes, via the Latin, from the Greek Christos, which means anointed. The Greek form is a literal translation of Messiah from Hebrew word "Mashiyakh" or the Aramaic "M'shikha", which is from the Hebrew root word "mashach" meaning to smear or anoint.

So wouldn't his initials really be YM? In Latin they would be IC.

Scripture tells us:

John 19
    19 And Pilate wrote a title, and put [it] on the cross. And the writing was, JESUS OF NAZARETH THE KING OF THE JEWS.
    20 This title then read many of the Jews: for the place where Jesus was crucified was nigh to the city: and it was written in Hebrew, [and] Greek, [and] Latin.

Hebrew: Yeshua haNazarei v Melech haYehudim

Greek: Iesous Nazoraios Basileus Ioudaios

Latin: Iesus Nazarenus Rex Iudaeorum

S&T:

So the little JC fantasy used by the press as a promotion stunt kinda falls apart before our very eyes. And Jim, if you happen to read this...... welcome to reality Island....sorry, no statues here....

17. Spirit and Truth

blackbird:

The term "Little Christ's" sounds prideful and boastful---folks going around thinking they have arrived at the same spiritual level as Jesus!

Here is how John the Baptist put it---"I must decrease, He must increase!"

The term "Little Christ" has one too many "I's" in it---the only "I" that needs to be in it is Jesus----the other "I's" need to reckon ourselves as dead men unto Him!

S&T:

Preach it Preacher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S&T knows one thing. When I get down around Wesson Mississippi, I am gonna attend blackbirds congregation and hear a powerful a message of Truth.........

CAN......I.......GET..........A.............WITNESS ?????

sorry for the shouting........I am dancing now [​IMG]

18. donnA

donnA Active Member

Being similar to Jesus is attitude and action is not being a little christ. There is only one Christ, and then there are anti christs. If one is a little christ, which of these two are they?
    When one is a follower of Christ they are not called little christ, they are called Christian(assuming you mean saved by follower of Christ). This is biblical, being a little christ is not, there can only be one Christ.

19. MalkyEL

MalkyEL Guest

Pastor Larry wrote:
    I have been in church for more than 30 years and have missed fewer Sundays than you can count on one hand. I have heard the term "little Christ" many many times and have never heard anyone suggest what you suggest.

You are bent out of shape over a non-issue. In typical Baptist circles, "little Christ" means "follower of Christ" or "someone who imitates him." There is no thought of divinity in it.

MalkyElahh: It may be true that "little christs" is a concept, a phrase that you have heard your whole life. I can understand how you get used to hearing something that lines up with your perceptions of truth.

I, also, grew up believing that my theology was impeccable. There comes a point when you must examine the Word of God against everything you believe. If you love the Truth, you will fight for it no matter how much is exposed to be error, that you once believed was truth.

I learned that the hard way. Because of my traditional and conservative religious background, I believed that whatever was preached was truth. This error led me into a couple of religious movements, one after another because I believed what I heard, instead of seeking God's Word for His Truth.

As Paul instructed, we must move on into maturity. We must become as Bereans, strictly holding to God's Word only for Truth - even when it means you have to lay aside teachings, concepts, and phrases that have no root in His Word. If the Bible does not expressly use the term "little christs", but to be an imitator of, to have the mind of, to be like Christ, then perhaps it is time to re-examine what you hold dear and hold it up to the Light of His Word.

God's purpose and will are not for us to reinvent His Word or "fix it" to match our ideas and concepts. His Word is a two-edged sword dividing soul and spirit, bone and marrow. He is serious about His Word. We need to align ourselves up with His Word, not the other way around.

When someone, like myself, who has only heard the term "little christs" coming from a heretical system and you insist that you may choose it for your own purposes, you are convincing me that it matters little to you what others think of your phrases. How will an unbeliever ever grasp the Truth of God's Word in this age of error and heresy, if those who say they belong to God give His Word so little respect and awe?

Psa 12:6 The words of the LORD [are] pure words: [as] silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.

20. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Man alive ... all I know is I have never heard anyone say the kind of things you guys are saying here. I am not sure what kind of crowd you are running in but I have to say I think you guys are way over thinking this ... It is certainly not a term I use, but there is definitely nothing sinister in it ... Imitation of Christ (which is what "little Christ" typically means) is the way that we show we love him ... But hey ... whatever works for you guys ...