1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are we living under the New Covenant??

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Brother Bob, Oct 27, 2007.

1. skypair

skypair Active Member

For you and grasshopper,

So now dispies make God a liar. Great! Does it ever occur to you that God has NOT finished His program with ISRAEL?? You see them "cut out" but you don't see them "grafted back in??"

YOU, child, are IMPATIENT with God.

skypair

2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I see a branch broke off, but the elect were saved.

Again, the Covenant was with Israel and Judah period. We were grafted in and if it were already gone, then there would be nothing to be grafted in to.

Can God lie??

BBob,

3. skypair

skypair Active Member

Balonie! You equate all Israel with all scripture and say TC doesn't account for the "whole??!"

Uh, try "CAUSE IT DOESN'T SAY THAT." Why are YOU being so obtuse?

Sorry, TC, for answering for you but BBOb is playin' space cadet lately.

skypair

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Ham! You fail to understand what "whole" is, the whole scripture.
    You first, you made the statement when the last gentile came in, how do you know. Did you just make it up as you go???

5. skypair

skypair Active Member

OK, who is "Israel and Judah?" Are you them? Where among the Jews do you see them in the gospels and epistles? Did they even all accept Christ?

And "a" branch broken off? Which one, Bobby?

Your arguments are so irrelevant to scripture I'm not sure I should even answer you if I didn't hope to help unify the body of Christ "in the knowledge and faith of the Lord Jesus." Eph 4:13.

[poster WARNED to keep civil or keep quiet]

skypair

#45 skypair, Oct 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2007
  6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Shows your lack of understanding of the epistles. Who do you think made up those early churches, all Gentiles??

Take you pick. Nothing but scriptures.

Rom 11:17And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert graffed in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree; pay particular attention to "and with them".

So now you call me a devil.

#46 Brother Bob, Oct 29, 2007
  7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Don't take kindly to being called a demon by this post!

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Brother Bob,
    How are you doing? I believe he meant (or I hope he meant) denomination abbreviated.

Skypair, if you meant demon, you owe this man an apology. This is a true man of God, and you had no right.

#48 saturneptune, Oct 29, 2007
  9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

If Skypair mean denomination, then I misunderstood and apoligize.

BBob,

10. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In fairness, skypair said "what denom" are you from.
    He didn't say demon.

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Thank you PinoyBaptist;

I already apologized for it in post 49

BBob,

Hey Pinoy;
    I preached with one of those black preachers Sunday before last. I was called in a memorial meeting of all the deceased members of a church and the black preacher was there. He took quite a while too, but did good. He was not much of a doctrine preacher, but more of a exorter, and preached a lot on his family. I followed him and closed out the meeting. I like scripture myself, but look back through the house and see that several are enjoying it, so I guess it takes us all.

BBob,

#51 Brother Bob, Oct 29, 2007
  12. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbs:

amen to that, bbob...most of them black brethren are good exhorters.

13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Don't you ever give up any of this stuff?? Why do you just keep blithely repeating it?? Even when a statement is shown to be a false statement?? I really do want to know.

Justin was never brought before any church council, good, bad, or indifferent, for teaching anything. (This is, I believe, the third time I have said this, FTR.) Nor were Polycarp, Tertullian, Papias, Irenaeus, Hippolytus, et al. brought before a church council.

There was, in fact, no major "church council", of any sort, between the Jerusalem council in Acts 15 of around 50 A.D., and the Council of Nicea in 325 A.D. That is a 275 year interval. (Justin was born in 100 A.D. and died in 165 A.D.) And even the next relatively minor one at Smyrna did not happen until 250 A.D., which was concerned with the rebaptism of heretics before being 're-received' into the local church.

Not even the presence of such notable heretics as Marcion, the Heretic, Simon Magus, Montanus, and Cerinthus, to name but four, nor the celebrated heresies of Gnosticism, Mithraism, and Sabellianism, to name but three, served to gather another church council. That would not happen until the teachings of Arius, where basically the teachings of those orthodox believers such as Papais, Tertullian, Ignatius, Hippolytus, Polycarp, and Justin and even Origen, were affirmed against those of Arius and some of his more extreme (than even he was) followers.

BTW, if you want a good example of modern day Arianism, consider the teachings of the Jehovah's Witnesses, as to the person of Jesus. Straight out of the playbook, 1700 years later! Jesus is the son of God, but not God, the Son, in their view, and less than God, the Father, in any 'JW' reckoning.

Historically, it (the Arain controversy and the Council of Nicea) was the difference between 'homoousias' and 'homoiousias'. Only one little Greek "iota subscript", the smallest of all the Greek letters (and only a third of the size in 'subscript' at that), of difference between the two. But exactly how big was that one little "iota"? The difference is whether Jesus was "of like nature (or essence)" as God, or only "of a similar nature (or substance)" as God. That's a pretty big difference, wouldn't you agree? The Nicea council declared Jesus to be "very God of very God", or one in essence with the Father, which is exactly who we believe He is.

Back to the point. It is well known, and easily found, for one who wishes to actually look it up, that the leading Apostolic and church fathers', when they did actually speak or write on this subject, mostly were all millenialists of one sort or another, except for Marcion, the Heretic, for the first two centuries A.D., and in fact, even some of those who were heretical in some areas, were in accord on this one, including Cerinthus, and Montanus, who were heretics, with those considered basically orthodox, such as Justin, Irenaeus, Papias, Hippolytus, and Tertullian, to name a few. Others are not as outspoken on this, including such as Igantius, and Polycarp.

Just to save myself further annoyance, (so as not to have to answer this when it will no doubt be tossed out, again) I'll mention, and yet once again, that Justin's "Apologies", the titles of his major works, are not written as "an apology" in the sense we would use the term today, but as Apologetics, in the sense of "a defense of the faith".

But it is ludicrous to keep on implying that these earliest "millenialists" were "brought before the church" when there was no such thing as a "church council" in operation, during any of their lifetimes.

One does not have to agree with what they taught [and be in "theological love" with one who is clearly a heretic (Marcion), and an Allegorist who would not even be born until 185 A.D. (Origen)] :rolleyes: , but that alone does not give one any reason to attempt to re-write church history for a century and a half, after the Jerusalem Council!

BTW, none of this has anything to do with whether or not we are living under the New Covenant, FTR.

Ed

#53 EdSutton, Oct 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2007
  14. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. There were two strands of Chiliasm and Cerinthius is responsible for the perverted version:

"This doctrine was developed into what is called Chiliasm, which is basically the doctrine of so-called Premillenialism. Millennium is the term for a thousand years and there is also another term called a Chiliad and this also means a thousand years. But they were two separate terms. Chiliad was later applied to the doctrines of a thousand-year Millennium, which had excessive physical aspects to it. The Gnostics started to develop Chiliasm where there was an excessively physical and carnal form of living for the thousand years. It fell into disrepute because of the Gnostic writers."

2. In fact, Irenaeus and others, while being millennialists, were refuting the distortions of the Gnostics, who were promoting pleasures and nuptials festivals.

15. skypair

skypair Active Member

Denom - denomination, Bob. Sorry, I didn't even think about it the shortened form is used so much around here. :type: Anyway, what denomination am I dealing with in you?

I suppose by now you have noticed that there were "SOME" branches cut out -- not one.

Now, where were we?

skypair

16. skypair

skypair Active Member

All I can say at this point is the more you cite scripture, the more you err from the truth and I don't know how to discuss with your "wisdom."

I'm sorry. Maybe you will throw out a line" somewhere farther on that I can grab onto, but I'm afraid you're drifting too far from the "space station" for anyone to grab. :laugh:

skypair

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Post #32
    Rom 11:17And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert graffed in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree;
    Here it says that only SOME of the branches be broken off
    Just forgot to add the s, at least you now acknowledge it was branches and not the whole household of Israel!

Drifting nothing, your doctrine was silenced for hundreds of years until they found some baptist who grabbed it and run with it, in 18 or 19th century, with the help of Darby who came over here from England where he found some "green pasture", and D. L. Moody, who followed. I think there were 3 or 4 more before him. The MK started of with it would be a time of "sensual desires" and living after ever desire of the flesh. Sounds like at the beginning it was near Islamic belief of the 70 virgins...........:)

Well, we can't both be right and one of us is far from the truth, but I consider it to be you. I hold to the old Fathers on the doctrine of MK. Not Darby or some of the others.

I am Old Regular Baptist. It is in my profile.

What denomination are you, I like to know who I am dealing with also. There are many Baptist who are far away from Baptist doctrine.

BBob,

#57 Brother Bob, Oct 30, 2007
  18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Call it what you want "a defense of the faith". but he had to give an account for his doctrine on the MK in his apologies. Ad defense means he was defending it against someone, but instead, seems to me he conceded.

Who was he talking to??????? He is not going to get up and convince them he was not talking of a "human" kingdom, unless he had to! You refute but without evidence, except Ed's personal evidence.

Justin Martyr (A.D.150)
    CHAP. XI.--WHAT KINGDOM CHRISTIANS LOOK FOR.
    "And when you hear that we look for a kingdom, you suppose, without making any inquiry, that we speak of a human kingdom; whereas we speak of that which is with God, as appears also from the confession of their faith made by those who are charged with being Christians, though they know that death is the punishment awarded to him who so confesses. For if we looked for a human kingdom, we should also deny our Christ, that we might not be slain; and we should strive to escape detection, that we might obtain what we expect. But since our thoughts are not fixed on the present, we are not concerned when men cut us off; since also death is a debt which must at all events be paid." (First Apology of Justin Martyr, ch. 11)
    "Chiliasm found no favor with the best of the Apostolic Fathers... the support from the Apologists too, is extremely meager, only one from among their number can with reasonable fairness be claimed, (Dialogue with Trypho the Jew, v. 25 - 36 ).

I take this a "good" record of history of Justin, unless you got evidence to the contrary! So, I will continue to post this info until proven wrong. I certainly will not stop because you say so. I know that Justin believed in the MK.

BBob,

#58 Brother Bob, Oct 30, 2007
  19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Maybe, and maybe not. But the RCC find great solace in the writings of the ECF. So what does that prove? Perhaps it demonstrates that there might be more error than truth among their writings. Have you ever heard of progressive revelation or know what it is? Don't get me wrong. I believe that God stopped his revelation or that all revelation ceased when the Bible was complete. However as time "progresses" we learn more than those that have gone on before us for we can build on their knowledge and learning. Hindsight is better than foresight. Cyprian and others, for example, never had a Strong's concordance to study with. And Strong himself never had "Swordsearcher" or some other computer program. We have many things today that help us to study the Bible that those a few centuries ago never had. In fact before the advent of the printing press most everything was very difficult. We learn and build upon the foundation of the learning of others. No man is an island.

20. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

To whom addressed? "First Apology":
    Entire translated text can be found here:

http://earlychristianwritings.com/text/justinmartyr-firstapology.html

"Second Apology" is addressed to the Roman Senate:
    http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/text/justinmartyr-secondapology.html

Justin's third major surviving work is the "Dialogue with Trypho", which you mentioned above. However, you are misreading the intent of Justin, in this, IMO. As TCGreek has stated above correctly, there were at least two (and probably more) threads of 'Chiliaism' flloating around. Justin is arguing against the more extreme version, and not denying that there will be a 'literal kingdom'., at all.
    Complete translated Text found here.

http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/text/justinmartyr-dialoguetrypho.html

Brother Bob, did you get all that, especially the three points emphasized? I'll help. First, one does not have to believe as I do (nor as Justin did) to be considered one with "true faith" and a "true Christian", as in the first part which I underlined. FTR, I am not defending Justin in all that He taught, for he was 'off' in some issues, clearly, IMO. But not here, in this dialogue. You and I do not agree in all aspects, yet I certainly consider you 'orthodox", as well. The tent is a bit larger than that, but it is not all inclusive. My above post mentioning Arianism is one example, and the teachings of Cerinthus of a sort of anti-nomian teaching of a sensous "neo-Gnosticism" is another example of some I will not allow my tent to ever be large enough to include.

Second, even in those days there were some known as "Baptists". Granted, the Baptists referred to were not as we know them today, being followers of those from John, and are probably of similar mind to those referred to in Acts 19:1-8, but I still found the reference interesting.

Third, I am still hoping you will soon join Justin, me, and others of like mind, in being one of those "right minded Christians on all points, who are assured that there will be a resurrection of the dead", but also assured that there will be "and a thousand years in Jerusalem, which wil then be built, adorned, and enlarged [as] the prophets Ezekiel, Isaiah, [John] and others declare." :thumbsup: [​IMG] :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

P.S. There are other writings of Justin that have apparently not survived, except in cites and quotes in other writings, such as ones referred back to in the "First Apology", "Dialogue with Trypho", and by Irenaeus in "Against All Heresies".

#60 EdSutton, Oct 30, 2007