1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are we right to be so sensitive in Iraq?

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by CoachC, Jan 31, 2005.

1. CoachC

CoachC New Member

I was speaking to world war II veteran at the nursing home the other day. He was telling me that when the US army went into German towns in 1945 that the order was given for the tanks to fire a round into the steeples of the cathedrals and churches. He told me that the shell would fly in one side and usually a sniper and a rifle would fly out the other.

We are we so afraid to chase these insurgents into their mosques? Are we right to be so sensitive when they are storing supplies and shooting at us from their mosques?

Assuming that now that the elections have been held and we are moving into Iraqization of the war, how do you think tactics will change?

Thoughts and comments are appreciated.

2. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

EEp CoachC, what an appalling word "Iraqization",

What do you mean.....

3. CoachC

CoachC New Member

I mean as we get more Iraqi soldiers trained and able to do the job that the coalition is doing now how will strategy and tactics change?

We have taken a very soft stance on some issues with these islamic terrorists in the interest of public relations. Is this the right tack to take or should we fight a war to win?

4. superdave

superdave New Member

Unless I misunderstood, perhaps Iraqization is a reference to the U.S. policies in the Vietnam war, Vietnamization was the effort to turn the war over to the South Vietnamese, it turned out to be our process of pulling out and letting them get clobbered.

I hope we follow through in Iraq and allow the Iraqi government to develop a democracy that takes into account the wide variations among the various ethnic/religious groups, something I think they will be better at than we are.

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True enough,but the South Vietnamese did not get clobbered because they wouldn't fight.
    They were defeated because the North Vietnamese still had the full financial support of the Soviet Union and China while the U.S. Congress cut off all funding and aid to the South.

Here's hoping we not do the same to the Iraqis.

6. CoachC

CoachC New Member

Superdave you read me correctly for the most part in the sense of turning the war over to the Iraqis.

1) I'm not advocating a turn it over or cut & run. However, as more Iraqi units are trained they will rightfully take a bigger role in events.

2) I do want our people out of that mess as quickly as we can do it, leaving behind an Iraqi republic that is legitimately elected by the Iraqi people. Not an Islamic theocracy. I'm a theocrat but Jesus will rule the theocracy I'm thinking of.