1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are We Teaching the Bible Well in Our Churches?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Steven Yeadon, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think I will pull a Salty on this one for the first part:

evangelist6589 said:

"today...people do not read [the bible], do not study [the bible], and would rather be entertained. They cant handle the diligent study that comes from books, so they prefer videos."

How big a problem is this in our churches? Is it a problem at all?

I have noticed the journey in my own church to playing the Lion King and the Matrix on the big screen to excite people into studying the bible. I have seen the relentless videos before the sermon or even in place of the sermon, not to mention the video studies on a weekday night. All of which are appealing to people without a high reading level. Reading levels tend to be low in America and I do see lots of people bringing their Message and New Living Translation bibles to church.

I personally do not like this trend as it seems to exalt the teacher(s) not the Word. In addition, a lot of videos nowadays do not teach and preach the Word but are more homiletic, relying on everyday things, like the Lion King, to teach the Word. I also find this meshing of the very holy and the downright unholy, like the Matrix, cause for concern.

However, the alternative is to really just buckle down as churches and help people read better in all age groups. Something that may be needed if studying the Word, rather than learning form teaching and preaching on the Word, is the goal. Then again, many were illiterate back in the day and had to rely on the few, even in early churches, who could read and study and thus teach and preach.

[For those following my story, I'm going to find myself a good church soon. I'm just being lazy, and need to have a heart to heart with my pastor, and check other churches out before making a huge decision that would be hard to pull back from. I don't want to be a hypocrite.]

2. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll also add that something feels very shallow in terms of study about many Christian videos. They rarely if ever get any deeper than the Lifeway Sunday School bible studies. To me, these magazines are definitely not a mature study of the bible and contain a perspective that is one dimensional.

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, one poster here was so excited about his church last week showing both a video and a slide show during the morning service. The Gospel was relegated to "the bulletin."

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We need to teach how to read the Bible. We can't just grab a few commentaries or books of our liking and place the responsibility of discipleship in terms of the development of doctrine on our favorite authors.

5. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    At least once per year, usually on a Wednesday evening, I teach a class I call "How to Study Your Bible Like a Seminary Professor." I teach critical, analytical, deductive, exegetical study tools to all who are willing to attend. The last time I taught it there were several hundred in attendance.

• Like Like x 1
  6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Can you come teach it here in NY? ;) Or do you have it on video, audio or transcript? Heck, even notes? I love stuff like that!

7. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's see. No. No. No. And no. And so do I. :D:D:D:D:D

But I will ask our media people if they can provide a video of it the next time I teach it. :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. We are not teaching it well at all. Turning out a generation of theological infants.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That would be awesome!! Or even an audio would be fine. :)

10. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm interested in what you mean. Could you explain?

11. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just talk to the average Sunday morning church attendee and ask them questions about pretty much anything to do with Biblical studies or Theology.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    1 cor 2:14.....the church is a mission field.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Much of what passes as good and solid biblical teaching actually would be stuff that is just candy , as the deeper things of the scriptures are really lacking in many churches, as many want to hear and get taught that we are Kings Kids, write our own ticket with god, name it and claim it etc!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    People are just not rationally serious with God.

How can they?

They are dumped on by the worldly music, worldly lighting, worldly message,...

But then, the typical assembly doesn’t care, because it all comes down to feelings.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I have to say that even with good teaching, so many people just don't absorb it. I know for a fact my husband has taught against the "heaven tourism" books but there are those in our congregation who love them and quote them. I guess they just don't listen. :(

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True, church is not a seminary. We don't ask prospective members for their GRE scores.

I know plenty of members who couldn't tell you the difference between Penal Substitution or Christus Victor theories, and have no idea of the Cal/Arm divide, but they have absorbed the Gospel and you can see it plainly in their lives.

17. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In part, this is agreeable, however with a most important addition.

Scriptures present principles in which to live by, and these also involve learning discernment.

The psalmist put it this way, “I will hide your Word in my heart that I don’t sin against you.”

As one learns the Scripture and the principles are lived, they will not be shaken by every wind of persuasion, doctrine, or even an evil that seeks to devour.

As such, church should be more like a seminary, teaching the Scriptures. (Remember what the Lord was talking about when in the temple as a child).

Teaching the assembly “line upon line, precept upon precept” to the end that the people need no preacher but themselves are each complete in wisdom and knowledge.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1