1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are you a "Broken Christian"?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Mexdeaf, May 16, 2013.

1. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

(Occasionally I read this list to check my brokenness. Never fail to get convicted. May it be a help to you. Don't miss #35 :smilewinkgrin:.)

By Nancy Leigh DeMoss

(From Book, Brokenness © Moody 2002, 2005)

"A missionary served in a region in Africa that had known seasons of true revivals. He reported that whenever he would mention the name of any Christian, the national believers would ask him, “Is he a broken Christian?” They did not ask, “Is he a committed Christian?” or “Is he a knowledgeable Christian?” or “Is he a hardworking Christian?” They wanted to know, “Is he a broken Christian?”

Over the years I have asked the Lord to show me some of the characteristics of a broken person, and how they compare with a person with a proud spirit. I have listed some of the things that have come to my attention as I’ve allowed the Lord to search my own heart.
    Let me encourage you to avoid the temptation to skim through the list. Instead, take time to read it prayerfully and ask God to show you, “Am I a proud or a broken person?” You may even want to place a small check mark next to any evidences of pride that you see in your life. That simple act could be an important step toward cultivating the broken, humble heart that God revives."--- Nancy Leigh DeMoss

Attitude Towards Others

1) PROUD UNBROKEN PEOPLE FOCUS ON THE FAILURES OF OTHERS AND CAN READILY POINT OUT THOSE FAULTS.

Broken people are more conscious of their own spiritual need than that of anyone’s else.

2) PROUD UNBROKEN PEOPLE HAVE A CRITICAL, FAULT FINDING SPIRIT. THEY LOOK AT EVERYONE ELSE’S FAULTS WITH A MICROSCOPE, BUT THEIR OWN WITH A TELESCOPE.

Broken people are compassionate- they have the kind of love that overlooks a multitude of sins; they can forgive much because they know how much they have been forgiven.

3) PROUD UNBROKEN PEOPLE ARE ESPECIALLY PRONE TO CRITICIZE THOSE IN POSITIONS OF AUTHORITY—THEIR PASTOR, THEIR BOSS, THEIR HUSBAND, THEIR PARENTS--- AND THEY TALK TO OTHERS ABOUT THE FAULTS THEY SEE

Broken people reverence, encourage, and life up those that God as placed in positions of authority, and they talk to God in intercessions, rather than gossiping about the faults they see in others.

4) PROUD UNBROKEN PEOPLE ARE SELF-RIGHTEOUS; THEY THINK HIGHLY OF THEMSELVES AND LOOK DOWN ON OTHERS

Broken people think the best of others; esteem others as better than themselves.

5) PROUD UNBROKEN PEOPLE HAVE AN INDEPENDENT, SELF-SUFFICIENT SPIRIT.

Broken people have a dependent spirit; they recognize their needs for God and for others.

Attitudes About Rights

6) PROUD UNBROKEN PEOPLE HAVE TO PROVE THAT THEY ARE RIGHT—THEY HAVE TO GET THE LAST WORD.

Broken people are willing to yield the right to be right.

7) PROUD UNBROKEN PEOPLE CLAIM RIGHTS AND HAVE A DEMANDING SPIRIT

Broken people yield their rights and have a meek spirit

8) PROUD UNBROKEN PEOPLE ARE SELF-PROTECTIVE OF THEIR TIME, THEIR RIGHTS, AND THEIR REPUTATION.

Broken people are self-denying and self-sacrificing.

Attitude about Service and Ministry

9) PROUD UNBROKEN PEOPLE DESIRE TO BE SERVED--- THEY WANT LIFE TO REVOLVE AROUND THEM AND THEIR OWN NEEDS

Broken people are motivated to serve others and to be sure others’ needs are met before their own.

10) PROUD UNBROKEN PEOPLE DESIRE TO BE KNOWN AS SUCCESS.

Broken people are motivated to be faithful and to make others successful.

11) PROUD UNBROKEN PEOPLE HAVE A FEELING CONSCIOUS OR SUBCONSCIOUS --- THAT “THIS MINISTRY (OR THIS ORGANIZATION) IS PRIVILEGED TO HAVE ME AND MY GIFTS.” THEY FOCUS ON WHAT THEY CAN DO FOR GOD.

Broken people have a heart attitude that says, “I don’t deserve to have any part in this ministry,” they know that they have nothing to offer God except the life of Jesus flowing through their broken lives.
    Attitudes About Recognition

12) PROUD UNBROKEN PEOPLE CRAVE SELF ADVANCEMENT

Broken people desire to promote others.

13) PROUD UNBROKEN PEOPLE HAVE A DRIVE TO BE RECOGNIZED AND APPRECIATED FOR THEIR EFFORT.

Broken people have a sense of their own unworthiness; they are thrilled that God would use them at all.

14) PROUD UNBROKEN PEOPLE GET WOUNDED WHEN OTHERS ARE PROMOTED AND THEY ARE OVERLOOKED.

Broken people are eager for others to get the credit; they rejoice when others are lifted up.

15) PROUD UNBROKEN PEOPLE ARE ELATED BY PRAISE AND DEFLATED BY CRITICISM

Broken people know that any praise of their accomplishments belongs to the Lord and that criticism can help them grown into spiritual maturity.

Attitudes about Themselves

16) PROUD UNBROKEN PEOPLE FEEL CONFIDENT IN HOW MUCH THEY KNOW

Broken people are humbled by how very much they have to learn.

17) PROUD UNBROKEN PEOPLE ARE SELF-CONSCIOUS; THEY WORRY ABOUT WHAT OTHERS THINK OF THEM.

Broken people are not preoccupied with what others think of them; they are not concerned with self at all.

18) PROUD UNBROKEN PEOPLE ARE CONCERNED ABOUT APPEARING RESPECTABLE; THEY ARE DRIVEN TO PROTECT THEIR IMAGE AND REPUTATION

Broken people are concerned with being real; they care less about what others think than about what God knows--- they are willing to die to their own reputation.

19) PROUD UNBROKEN PEOPLE CAN’T BEAR TO FAIL OR FOR ANYONE TO THINK THEY ARE LESS THAN PERFECT. THIS CAN DRIVE THEM TO EXTREMES--- WORKAHOLICS TENDENCIES, PERFECTIONISM; THE TENDENCY TO DRIVE OTHERS OR TO PLACE UNREALISTIC EXPECTATIONS ON THEMSELVES OR OTHERS

Broken people can recognize and live within God-given limitations.

20) PROUD UNBROKEN PEOPLE KEEP OTHERS AT ARMS’ LENGTH.

Broken people are willing to take the risks of getting close to others and loving intimately.

21) PROUD UNBROKEN PEOPLE ARE QUICK TO BLAME OTHERS.

Broken people accept personal responsibility and can acknowledge where they are wrong in a situation.

22) PROUD UNBROKEN PEOPLE WAIT FOR OTHERS TO COME AND ASK FORGIVENESS WHEN THERE IS A MISUNDERSTANDING OR A BREACH IN A RELATIONSHIP

Broken people take the initiative to be reconciled when there is a misunderstanding or conflict in relationships. They race to the cross; they see if they can get there first, no matter how wrong the other party may have been.

23) PROUD UNBROKEN PEOPLE ARE UNAPPROACHABLE OR DEFENSIVE WHEN CRITICIZED

Broken people receive criticism or correction with humble, open spirit.

24) PROUD UNBROKEN PEOPLE FIND IT DIFFICULT TO SHARE THEIR SPIRITUAL NEEDS WITH OTHERS.

Broken people are willing to be open and transparent with others as God directs.

25) PROUD UNBROKEN PEOPLE TRY TO CONTROL THE PEOPLE AND THE CIRCUMSTANCES AROUND THEM--- THEY ARE PRONE TO MANIPULATE.

Broken people trust in God--- they rest in Him an dare able to wait for Him to act on their behalf.

26) PROUD AND UNBROKEN PEOPLE BECOME BITTER AND RESENTFUL WHEN THEY ARE WRONGED; THEY HAVE EMOTIONAL TEMPER TANTRUMS; THEY HOLD OTHERS HOSTAGE AND ARE EASILY OFFENDED; THEY CARRY GRUDGES AND KEEP A RECORD OF OTHERS WRONGS.

Broken people give thanks in all things; they are quick to forgive those who wrong them.

27) PROUD UNBROKEN PEOPLE WANT TO BE SURE THAT NO ONE FINDS OUT WHEN THEY HAVE SINNED; THEIR INSTINCT IS TO COVER UP.

Broken people aren’t overly concerned with who knows or who finds out about their sins--- they are willing to be exposed because they have nothing to lose.

28) PROUD UNBROKEN PEOPLE HAVE A HARD TIME SAYING, “I WAS WRONG; WILL YOU PLEASE FORGIVE ME?”

Broken people are quick to admit their failure and to seek forgiveness when necessary.

29) PROUD UNBROKEN PEOPLE TEND TO DEAL IN GENERALITIES WHEN CONFESSING THEIR SIN TO GOD (“DEAR LORD, PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ALL MY SINS…”) OR EXPRESSING SPIRITUAL NEED TO OTHERS (“I NEED TO BE A BETTER CHRISTIAN…”)

Broken people are able to acknowledge specifies when confessing their sin: “Lord, I agree with you that I love myself more than I love my mate; I confess that I am addicted to television; I’m glutton; I have a critical spirit; I am an angry mother…”

30) PROUD UNBROKEN PEOPLE ARE CONCERNED ABOUT THE CONSEQUENCES OF THEIR SIN. THEY ARE DISTURBED OVER THE PROBLEMS CAUSED BY THEIR SIN--- FOR EXAMPLE, THE FINANCIAL BONDAGE CREATED BY THEIR OVERSPENDING, OR THE PROBLEMS IN THEIR MARRIAGE THAT HAVE RESULTED FROM SELFISHNESS AND IMMORAL CHOICES.

Broken people are grieved over the cause, the root of their sin. They are more concerned about how their sin has grieved and dishonored God than about the problems it has created in their lives.

31) PROUD UNBROKEN PEOPLE ARE REMORSEFUL OVER SIN--- SORRY THAT THEY GOT CAUGHT OR FOUND OUT.

Broken people are truly repentant over their sin, and the evidence of their repentance is that they forsake the sin.

Attitudes About Their Walk With God

32) PROUD UNBROKEN PEOPLE ARE BLIND TO THE TRUE CONDITION OF THEIR HEARTS

Broken people walk in the light and acknowledge that truth about their lives.

33) PROUD UNBROKEN PEOPLE COMPARE THEMSELVES WITH OTHERS AND FEEL WORTHY OF HONOR OR RESPECT.

Broken people compare themselves to the holiness of God and feel a desperate need for His mercy.

34) PROUD UNBROKEN PEOPLE DON’T THINK THEY NEED TO REPENT OF ANYTHING.

Broken people realize they need to maintain a continual heart attitude of repentance.

35) PROUD UNBROKEN PEOPLE DON’T THINK THEY NEED REVIVAL. BUT ARE SURE THAT EVERYONE ELSE DOES. (IN FACT, RIGHT ABOUT NOW, THEY ARE MAKING A MENTAL LIST OF THE PEOPLE THEY THINK NEED TO READ THIS LIST!)

Broken people continually sense their need for a fresh encounter with God and for a fresh filling of His Holy Spirit.

2. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

If a christian was really broken or humble they would not answer yes if ask this question.

3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :) :thumbsup:

4. Matt22:37-39

Matt22:37-39 New Member

Very good thanks for posting!

:thumbsup:

5. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Excellent OP. Should be disseminated in churches all over the world. The first 5 should stop us all in our tracks to seek God's forgiveness.:1_grouphug: