1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are You A Calvinist?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Marcia, Aug 20, 2008.

?
  1. Yes

29 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. No

37 vote(s)
    56.1%
  3. Not sure, or am in transition

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

If Calvinism is right, as the Bible seems to indicate that it is, then it is pointing out error to those who disagree. But that wasn't what I was addressing in that post. You seemed shocked that a fellow believer would point out error in another fellow believer, and I merely pointed out that it had biblical precedent and in fact is a biblical command.

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Then I would encourage you to reflect that knowledge in your posting.

Not sure how this comment came from anything I said. I am absolutely committed to the fact that God must be true to his word. That is why I am a Calvinist.

You talk of me being condenscending along with a bunch of other subtle name calling and personal attacks, but to my knowledge, I have never said the kind of things about others that you have said about me. I typically at least address the issues. So let's get back to that:

I think the problem you have is this:

Your side seems to think God is obligated to do whatever man asks and therefore God's free choice is removed for the sake of mans. That means that if man asks to be saved, God has to save him. He has no choice in the matter.

However, consider that in reverse: Man
    is obligated to do whatever God asks and therefore man's free choice is removed for the sake of God's. That means that if God asks [man] to be saved, man has to respond in belief. He has no choice in the matter.

Now I had to make a few changes in teh sentences, but I imagine you can probably see the dilemma that I am pointing out. You would respond very negatively to the second statement, right? And I think in so doing you would show that you value man's freedom above God's freedom.

I have concluded that the Bible teaches God's freedom to save whom he wills, and that God works that so that all who are saved are those whom God has made willing and those who reject are those who are willfully rejecting because of the hardness of their sin.

3. hsmom22boys

hsmom22boys New Member

#123 hsmom22boys, Aug 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2008
  4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Can you provide one post that "seems to think" God is obligated to do whatever man asks?

No one on either side of this issue "seems" to think that. God requires that in order to be saved, one must have faith. Having faith doesn't put man in charge of God. It is God's requirement. Having faith means that I choose to believe God.

God does not have to save anyone. That's what it means to be saved by grace. You are not saved until God says you are. But you will not be saved unless you believe God. God does not believe for you. You must do that yourself.

To imply that any of us believe that God's free choice is removed by man is just ridiculous and quite insulting.

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Even there, "false teaching" is pushing the envelope with a fellow believer, imo.

Since I started this thread, I feel a modicum of responsibility for what is being said in terms of accusations that I believe are unbiblical.

It used to be that it was forbidden to call anyone a heretic on the BB or suggest the person is a heretic. This is one reason I think they closed down the Calvinist/Arm. forum, but I think it was better to have it because at least you could avoid it if you wanted to. Someone on this thread said that another poster was upset because "the gospel is offensive." Well, the gospel is never offensive to a believer!

I understand heresy to be denying an essential of the faith. At least, this is how I use it. So I say the JW, Mormon, Oneness teachings are heresies. We can and should divide over essentials, such as those that separate Christianity from these cults, for example.

For a believer to call someone a heretic because he/she does not agree with Calvinism is divisive. Period.

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For a believer to call someone a heretic because he/she does not agree with Lou's Lordless Salvation is divisive.Period.

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

But that did not happen on this thread, and the former did.

And even if it did, does that make this okay?

I run across this all the time on the BB. Just a reminder - two wrongs don't make a right.