1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are you a Chauvinist?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Eric B, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

one of Random House definitions of "chauvinism": "biased devotion to any group, attitude, or cause".
    It is a French word, and French often substitutes "ch" for "c" (e.g. "cat" is "chat"), and "au" for "al" (a + le = "au" instead of "al", like in Spanish), so...
    John calvin was French, and his real name was "Jean Chauvin"!
    :D :D :D
    (Actually, it was named after a soldier in Napoleon's army--oh, so is that who you are following?)

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

No, I ain't. I occaisionally have chauvanist thoughts, but know that it's not appropriate to take action based on them.

3. William C

William C New Member

Why not? According to Calvinists God acts that way so why would that not be appropriate?

If God is Chauvanistic why is it wrong for us to act that way? Or is it?

4. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

If we take this definition at face value, we all have to admit we are "chauvinists." We have biased devotion towards the Lord Jesus Christ as Christians, towards believer's baptism by immersion as Baptists, etc., etc. God is definitely a "chauvinist" according to this definition. He is committed to His own glory, and He will not share it with another.

5. William C

William C New Member

Good answer! I would have to agree with that.