1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are You A Neo-Confederate?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by poncho, Jun 7, 2008.

1. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

I've heard of neo-conservatives, neo-liberals, neo-merchantilism, and neo this or that architecture and I've even heard of Neo the hero in the Matrix but before yesterday I never heard of neo-confederates. What in the world is a neo-confederate I asked myself so I aimed to find out.

Okay I did some googling and found that the term neo-confederate has been defined...click here.

So, is this terminology something we "neo-confedrates" should be ashamed of? Can't make up my mind if I'm a neo-confederate or a neo-copperhead. Does a person have to be born in the south to be a neo-confederate? I dunno.

This is neat...click here.

#1 poncho, Jun 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2008
  2. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Just look up John C. Pemberton. The defender of Vicksburg was from Philadelphia, PA.

3. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Am I overlooking something. I went to the article expecting to find a clear-concise definition of what a neo-confederate is, only to read what others think the name means. So, I'm still not aware of what one is. :confused:

4. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's just the point, I think.

Maybe ain't no such thing ?

5. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

The term neo-Confederate describes a political and/or cultural movement based mainly in the U.S. Southern states that is characterized by a celebration of the history of the Confederate States of America (CSA) and support for the CSA's aims. Neo-Confederate issues may include states rights, such as nullification (in which state laws override federal laws), and a pro-Confederate view of history, particularly regarding the American Civil War and the role of slavery in that war. Some groups in the movement support full future secession, while others focus on preserving their image of southern heritage. The term "neo-Confederate" is considered by many people a pejorative political epithet and its application to specific groups and individuals has caused controversy.

A group that is frequently labeled as being "neo-Confederate" is the League of the South (LS), which does advocate future secession. It declares that it seeks the "well-being and independence of the Southern people." [1] A number of small political parties also call for secession, including the Southern Party and its offshoot, the Southern Independence Party.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Guess I forgot to add this bit. My bad. Sorry. :eek:

This bit here is from the opposition who would like nothing better than to paint everyone who believes in state sovereignty and liberty as a bunch of "redneck racist buffoons and white seperatists". At least that's the conclusion I've come to after scanning their writtings.

http://www.splcenter.org/intel/intelreport/article.jsp?aid=253

This is from another source...

See what I mean? Does anyone here hold to these ridiculous notions of "white superiority" and seperatism? I know I don't.

Here's the page from my Google search. Both sides seem to have a say in the matter. What do "y'all" think bout it?

#5 poncho, Jun 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2008
  6. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Poncho, you should know by now that anything southern related or having to do with being a proud white American is racist, intolerant, and viewed as hateful. You can be gay and be proud, you can vote for Obama because he is black and be proud, you can donate to black causes and push the cultures and lifestyles of any other group of people on the face of the map down other people's throats and be proud!
    But, this is unacceptable behavior in the white community. :tonofbricks:

7. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

I hear ya, collectivism is a confusing thing. The folks that think in these terms (of the collective) talk out of both sides of their mouths. They tell us we should all live together in harmony while at the same time making certain sure that we are all divided into little groups according to our outward differences.

I reckon we'd all be better off if the collectivists amongst all crawled back under that rock from whence they came and left us all be. I think it's stupid to have racists like these calling anyone who refuses to think in their collective terms racists.

And you must know by now Cutter that I myself have never been the least bit afraid to flaunt my own brand of "unacceptable behavior".

Long live the neo-confederacy! :smilewinkgrin:

#7 poncho, Jun 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2008
  8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    interesting discussion
    time to bump?

9. billwald

billwald New Member

>that the white man should be superior to minorities, particularly blacks.

This is a Social Darwinian position which is paradoxical for Bible Belt people who don't "believe in" evolution. If one takes Genesis at face value then God must have created Adam and Eve with DNA for every shade of skin color and the "races" developed because of selective breeding probably caused by social/tribal pressure.

"Social" because of the misuse of "superior" in this context.

10. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

I second that bump!