1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are you a pack rat

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Salty, Aug 30, 2009.

?
  1. Yes, and I am proud! It may be years before I need to use something

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Yes, but I am not an extremest about

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. Yes, but I hate to admit it

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. I don't think so

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  5. No, after a reasonable amount to time I dispose of things

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. NO,NO,NO - if I don't use it in 90 days, its gone!!!

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  7. Other answer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

hahaha Yes, it did indeed :tongue3:

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    mc DIRECTOR, take note of Saggys post! :thumbsup:

3. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

That will only work when I slip into an alternate universe. Home is where your heart is - NOT where all your clutter can be found :tongue3:

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would like to invite you up to the Salt City and visit our home. Then I can explain in full detail why being a pack rat is great.

Salty

ps not responsible if you have trouble finding me after you come in thur the front door

5. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Never been a pack rat. The last few years we are gradually getting rid of stuff. I hold to the philosophy of not allowing stuff to own me.

6. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I have some pack rat tendencies, but in the last some odd number of years, I have come to a conclusion that if it is sitting around the house being unused by me or my ministries and works, then it really isn't being used of God by anyone. Therefore I must find a place where it will be used.

That is not to say the table ain't messy and that there isn't clutter somewhere. Work in progress here.

When I go visit MC Director, I will have to make a clutter moment. She may beat me down, but hey, gotta have some clutter.

7. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Yes, we do have some. things come out of drawers every once in a while and don't get put back. Books stack up. Right now, I'm sorting through math materials and putting them in boxes based on objective. It's killing me! As soon as the stuff gets in the boxes, I'll have to put them up and then pull them out one at a time to organize each one by itself.

When are you coming btw? School's out mid June :D

8. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I knew you were NC but I didn't remember you were WS. I don't get up that way on purpose, but I will certainly ring ya if I get the chance. Do you ever get down Charlotte way??

9. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

No. I hate clutter. Hubby thought he didn't like the pack-rat lifestyle, but I'm afraid he found out that I consider HIM to be one. LOL
    I have had people say I should have more "stuff." I like clear spaces though!

There is no purpose to have things around that you don't use. It could be sold and the money used for needs, or the items can be given to people who actually need them. Why waste by having them around?

I tend to be a minimalist at heart. I would have no problem living with what could fit in one medium sized suitcase, and have done so in the past.

Husband is turning me into more of a girlie girl, so I have more clothes and "stuff" now. It's nice to have some things. It does make life convenient, but I just don't want to become dependent on stuff or teach my kids to become that way. Nobody NEEDS a hairdryer, a curling iron, a fancy coffee pot, or anything more than vinegar and hot water to clean with. Most of what we possess are really luxury items.

I'm thankful for some of them, but don't understand the mindset of people who must have "stuff" cluttering the home. I love the feeling of freedom in open spaces. It feels clean, fresh, and is a lot less germy because there aren't dust catchers and places for stuff to hide.

I'd love to have people who are pack rats explain what it is that makes them do this. Is it fear of having something you don't need? Do you think that it's wiser to keep something just in case, so you don't have to spend money later? Why keep stuff from when you were a kid? Life happens. It could all be lost in a fire tomorrow. If it's not being used, it's being wasted, right? If there was a flood or fire or other disaster and you lost it all, wouldn't you just be grateful for your life, and doesn't thinking about that make you realize you just don't really need or really want that stuff cluttering your house?

10. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I do like clear spaces, too.

And yes, luxury items are too much!!

11. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Saggy, I do get down that way some. Sometimes Ron makes a day trip down that way. I'll see what he has on the calendar for the summer.