1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Are YOU a Private Racist?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, May 1, 2014.

?
  1. Yes, but not hateful towards other races ...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, and I'm hateful ...

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. No, not one thread of racist in this mind, body, spirit or soul!

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. All races tend to be racist ....

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  5. All races are privately racist ...

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  6. Racism [public or private] is a social flaw ...

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  7. Racism [public or private] is a sin ...

7 vote(s)
    70.0%
  8. Some churches are still racist ....

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  9. Homophobia is as bad as racism ....

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  10. I am a private homophobe ...

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is meant to be discussed in this forum as it has to do with our beliefs and values as believers and particularly as Baptists!

I watched a media report on local Sounthern California television last evening and the white reporter ask a group of black men, "What percent of white folks do they think are racist in the privacy of their own homes?"

The number that was bantered around and finally agreed on was maybe 60%.

I wish the reporter would have gone a step further, and ask those black men on that group panel what percentages of black folks are racist in the privacy of their homes?

I for one do not disagree that in the privacy of our homes, racist's comments will be made from time to time, and unlike Mel Gibbons widely publicized rant against Jews, Paula Deen and Donald Sterling's public comments about blacks that slipped out and became public fodder for the cannons of political correctness, racism is a fact of life that all of us are guilty of, but will never be found out because we are smart enough to keep our ideas in the privacy of our minds, hearts and homes!

With that said, if you were to be totally honest about this racism thing, are there times that you have thoughts, or say things in the privacy of your home, that could be construed as racist if someone secretly taped you and released it to the public? Please be honest. Polls do not show who said what, so now is the time to lay it on the line and be candid, without being stoned by your peers or the public!

One other question, do you think that non-English-speaking Caucasians, blacks, Asians, Muslims, and Hispanics are racist in the privacy of their homes? :type:

And is racism a social flaw, or a spiritual sin? And while we are on the topic - if any of you can difine what racism and homophobia is, it may go a long way in making this thread more interesting as wel as enlightening to the rest of us!

I do not see myself as racist of homphobic, but there are those who would disagree with me, which is why I started this thread, I hope as believers we can find some common ground! God bless!

#1 righteousdude2, May 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2014
  2. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't consider myself at all racist. The only reason it even comes up in my mind, really, is because the term is thrown around so much these days. As a kid, my best friend was black and I thought nothing of it. I still have friends who are black. These days when I'm around black people, it does occur to me--not because I'm racist, but because the term is thrown around so much these days that it makes you afraid of seeming racist--y'know? But I'm not at all racist.

I do know some people that are against mixed marriage, and I would consider that to be at least somewhat racist. The home I was raised was at least partly against mixed marriage, too. My dad tended to have some really bold opinions, too.

Since homophobia was mentioned in the poll, define homophobia...? According to some I'd be a homophobe simply because I believe homosexuality to be a sin. Yet I have friends who are gay, and my views on government involvement really differ from the typical religious right stance.

Anywho--racism is possible of any race. It's viewing another race as superior over others, or not believing that all races are entitled to equal rights.

And I forgot to mark it in the poll, but some churches are racist. I grew up in one that was a little bit like that.
    Okay, the people there are good people. I just don't care for some of their views. Same with my dad, whom I had, and still have, a lot of respect for.

I do believe racism to be wrong and harmful, but it's overplayed a bit. People can have views that are dead frickin' wrong and still be good people.

3. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some good questions!

I like what you say! I am a lot like you, and can only agree with much of what you have said!

I hope that maybe this thread will serve to define what RACISM and Homophia is!

I think those whoaccuse others of racism do not understand it completely, and for sure gays, do not have one idea what the word homophoic means!

Maybe you can define that term according to what you see it as!

4. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Someone once pointed out to me that technically since the term "homophobe" was invented to speak of those who oppose gay marriage, that's it's correct use. This makes sense, as flawed as the concept/attitude behind the word is*. It's tossed around as a buzzword, like racism. It's meant to have the same negative aura that racism does.

*People aren't bad for having controversial opinions. I'd rather judge someone moreso on their behavior and actions than their opinion, even an opinion I may hate and consider to be bad. (An opinion in general, not referring to a specific one.)
    I point out that one can be for outlawing gay marriage and still be a good person, and people argue with me about that. A common argument from them is, "would you say someone can be a good person if they don't believe black people should marry white people?" Thinking the obvious answer is no, and thinking they have destroyed my argument. My answer to that question is yes, as much as I dislike such views on mixed marriage, they can still be good people. Because I know people like that, and their actions and behavior are honorable overall.

#4 evenifigoalone, May 2, 2014
  5. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well Said!

You have a good balanced outlook on life and the many problems we face. Thanks for sharing your views! I agree with how you see and respect others for their opinions, even though they may be opposed to ours!

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A silly question and an even more silly answer. Those black folks may want that to be true but its not. This is all about political power and nothing more.

7. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed!

And the one question that wasn't asked of that group of maybe 25 black [all ages] was what percent of blacks are racist?

It wasn't Fox News BTW, it was one of the liberal
    media networks!

8. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Some of my best friends are: black, brown, yellow..." is a subtle racial slur. The implication of such a statement is: Even though they are_____, they are my friends.

The color of one's skin has absolutely nothing to do with anything except the relative amount of melanin in the epidermis. Curious: neuromelanin is found in the brain--the function is not readily apparent.

Racism is a subtle, insidious aspect of the depravity of mankind. "All have sinned and come short of the glory of God."

What color are incorruptible bodies?

My old man is prejudice, racial--private and public. My new man is constantly at war with the old man.

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

#8 Bro. James, May 2, 2014
  9. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no love lost for those who corrupt society with their morals, dances, jargon, clothing, styles, attitudes, and I don't care if they are white, black, brown, yellow, red, green, blue, cyan, or whatever.

now, somebody please tell me why in workplaces, neighborhoods, prisons, schools, and such like places, with the exclusion (possibly) of churches, whites congregate mostly with whites, blacks do the same, hispanics and asians go with their "kind" ?

then tell me racism is kaput in the land of the free and the home of the brave.

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It has to do with culture not race. People do not want to have to share the same space with those who have other cultural practices such as music, overall worship styles etc.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I rarely hang out with white folks! It sort of goes with the territory if you know what I mean.

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with much of what you are saying…but I do disagree with this statement. That racism exists is a fact of life, but I don’t believe it is one sin of which we are all guilty.

13. thisnumbersdisconnected

Please speak for yourself. I am not a racist, and neither are most of the others on this board.

Prejudice is present in everyone regarding a lot of different things, not just race, nationality, creed, or religion, and cannot be legislated against. But racism is not in my heart, and I would appreciate it if you don't make the assumption it is.

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some probably because of racists notions. For the most part I think it is culture. I’ve noticed the same with those of a military background. Regardless of race, it seems that in a large group I typically end up with four or five prior service military folk. Perhaps we feel more comfortable around people who share similar traits (whether it be race, nationality, etc.). Race, I suppose, may be an obvious visual trait. I lived in a diverse area and race didn't cross my mind. I was (and am), however and unfortunatel, prone to be judgmental by the way someone dresses and speaks.

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rev is right-
    As a Mutt-American I have visited several churches that are largely Black. Theses services tend to be much different than what I was used to. Key word - DIFFERENT non bad, worse, ect.

Lets add a bit to this discussion - If I (as a Caucasian) did not want to marry a Black woman - would that make me a racist - NO - it is a preference -
    Just as I prefer a woman with long hair as well as other physical features.

16. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

He asked them what they THOUGHT so you get no say so as to its truthfulness if it's what they think.

He didn't say "What IS" . He said what do you "THINK".

Racism always has been about power and the belief that because of your skin color that you have the right to exact a certain level of power over another. Thus the Jim Crow laws; thus slavery, etc.

17. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

It would make you prejudiced and everyone has them. But there's more there than just prejudice when someone says I do not want to marry someone of a certain skin color. I've always said that as much as it's often just brushed aside as innocent, that is an abysmal statement for a Christian to make for so many reasons.

18. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of themselves, a prophet of their own, said, Cretans are always liars, evil beasts, idle gluttons. This testimony is true..... Titus 1:12,13

Because of the Culture of Critique that has taken hold in this country it's no longer acceptable to speak publically and call a Cretan a Cretan, one's better judgment requires that it be kept private.

I've my own opinions concerning the attitudes, mainly, of several ethnic groups, and for the most part I'll keep those opinions private and to my own kind. If's that's 'private racism', so be it.

Birds of a feather ............

#18 kyredneck, May 2, 2014
  19. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

I believe all black people harbor hatred for white people. Through the years of suppression of the black man by white susciety this hatred was passed down to black kids growing up by their parents. A lot of white people don't like to be around black people not because they hate them but because of their culture. I worked among black and white convicts in the prison system and they have completely different cultures. The black people are loud and make a lot of noise at every thing they do in the prison system. I would ask them to tone it down and they would reply " Man this is just who I am. " In one small town several miles from me black and whites get along quite well. there is a lot of interracial marriage so maybe that's the reason. If you go to a bigger city like Memphis there is more hatred among blacks and whites.

20. thisnumbersdisconnected

That's as ridiculous as RD2's claim that we are all "racist." :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.