1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are you a thief

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, Sep 27, 2011.

1. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But what if you have no work to do while you are "working?" In my occupation, there are may hours of inactivity, of just literally "standing around," especially when I work the night shift. If I'm at work but not doing anything work related, would killing time online still be considered thievery?

2. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

An American in-joke? Or did you just misread "retired" as "retarded"?

3. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

FAL is the joke.

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I realize that we all have job descriptions with certain duties, and with most jobs there are those times when we get caught up with the designated duties. So the question is what do we do while waiting for more instructions or more work?

If an employer expressly says to us if you get caught up with your work I do not want you to work outside your job description just do what ever you want and I will still pay you for it I think it is permissible to be on line. However unless that has been stated look around and find something to do that relates to the company. Empty the trash cans, clean the rest rooms, fill the copier with paper, pick up cigarette butts in the parking lot, or what ever. Find something to do! You are still on the clock so strive to make the person you work for richer since that is what they seek.

Be an outstanding employee instead of one that is no different then the world. We are to work as unto the Lord. He will reward you for your diligence. You are still on the clock so find something to do that benefits the company! Remember there is always something else to do.

Even if every other person in the office does personal business or pleasure on company time YOU be different for the Lord.

When you hired in you had a job description. If in the job description it was to take care of your personal business or play on line then you are doing your job. If that did not happen then go beyond how the world lives and acts and be an outstanding employee instead of a thief like the rest of the world.

#24 freeatlast, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2011
  5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

David let me tell you a little story. This is a true event. I live in Texas and there is a Texas draw to most people's speech who are native Texans.
    Several years ago I walked to a local barber shop for a hair cut. It was a one man operation and I knew the barber. He was a Christian in His mid to late 40's and he had a real Texas draw about his speech.

When I walked in, there was en elderly man setting in the barber chair and a woman setting and waiting for him. I assumed his wife. Steven, that was the barbers name, was finishing up with the man and just doing some finish touch up things while talking to his customer as barbers do.

Well he finished up and was removing the sheet and the old man in the chair said to Steve, "well what do I owe you." Steve who was standing behind the man said with that long Texan slow draw "you're retard ain't you?" Most barbers give a discount to the retired or disabled.

About that time that woman perked up straight in her chair and rather sternly proclaimed, "he ain't no retard!" Steve still behind the man casually walked around in front of the man, faced him, and sort of bent over a little and looked him up and down and then finally looked right in his eyes and then said again with that Texas draw, "yea, you're retard that will be...." and he told him the price for someone retired. It was all I could do to keep a straight face.

So when I saw that post it brought back memories and I posted what I did.

#25 freeatlast, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2011
  6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are right FAL.

Also...

If you go 26MPH in a 25MPH zone on your way to that job you have also sinned before you even get there.

1 Peter 2
    13 Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme;
    14 Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well.
    15 For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men:​

If you wake and open your eyes without prayer you have sinned.​

1 Thessalonians 5:17 Pray without ceasing.

etc, etc, etc...​

HankD​

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

First, your comment about 1Thess is simply wrong. There are a couple of possibilities as to why. One is you are lacking understanding (ignorant) about what that passage is saying and have not yet learned how to apply the word of God as given. Although that does not excuse your improper use of the passage it does give some reason for it.
    The second is it that you are willfully and knowingly misrepresenting the word of God which dishonors the Lord you claim to follow.

As to the speed limit that is correct. I do not speed. I always set my speed 3 to 5 mph under the posted limit and sometimes 10 under depending on the environment so as not to dishonor the Lord.

Lastly I could say that you are seeking to corrupt the truth by playing the same game as satan does when you twist the intent of God's word by using God's word improperly. However I will not say that and will instead say it "looks like" you are doing that by what you have said and hope you are not being lead by the tactics of satan to disguise your own sin.
    etc, etc, etc...

8. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

If you are going 10 under the speed limit, then you are dishonoring the Lord. Everyone behind you thinks you are a complete moron.

9. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In a court of law, "Intent" plays a vital role in determining ones guilt or innocence. Doing 10 under the posted speed limit establishes "intent" to impede the flow of traffic.

We are instructed to be "reasonable". Being a Christian should not be a burden on us, or others.

10. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Hmmm...so if you do more work than required during your shift, does the employer burn for eternity for stealing from you?

12. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

I'm going to guess FAL's answer is no.

13. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

14. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder how many of us are robbing God by spending our personal time here at BB judging others instead of praying for them and spending time in the word. Last time I checked, we are to examine our own hearts, not the hearts of others.

15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Satan plays another game...

KJV Revelation 12:10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.

HankD​

16. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

FAL...

And a confused fundamentalist is a confused fundamentalist.

17. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I wonder how many are denying their sins thinking they can mock God by using His grace or twisting His word while pointing to something else to justify themselves while they continue in their sin?

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Addressing this to yourself?

19. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hebrews 4
    12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
    13 Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.

HankD​