1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are you a universalist or do you believe in limited attonement?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Mar 26, 2008.

1. JDale

JDale Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Your question does not negate the Biblical reality that we must trust Christ for salvation -- but it does push the allegory too far.

This is the question that Calvinists have a huge problem with vis-a-vi universalism.

IF Christ paid for all sins (and He did), and yet one for whom He died FAILS to trust in His sacrificial payment, does Jesus fail? Can God "blame" him/her if Jesus has actually paid the price?

Calvinists are forced to say that they are saved anyway. If God indeed did die for the sins of ALL (which Calvinists generally deny) then ALL must be saved = universalism.

Reformation Arminianism faces no such quandry. While God provides salvation for ALL. and by the work of the Holy Spirit through grace convicts the sinner, draws him, and even enables him to believe -- his failure to accept Christ' sacrifice on his behalf is wholly His. That doesn't make Jesus' blood any less powerful -- but it does preclude the one who rejects Christ' blood from it's benefits.

2. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

And I certainly do not deny the fact that we must believe.

3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Re:Universalist or limited atonement?

I was reading my bible last night, when I ran across this couple scriptures that really stuck out.

Heb 4:1 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
    Heb 4:2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

Now, Paul used "us" and "them" in verse 2. To me the "us" refers to the believers in Christ and the work that He did at the Cross.

The "them" are those who rejected then/ still rejecting Christ as they did in the days He walked on earth. To me, the key words are "not being mixed with faith". You see, it takes faith in Him for us to be saved(another thread I started that some believed, some didn't, btw).

My point is this: Just because some hear the Gospel preached unto them, doesn't make them saved. It does take the "foolishness of preaching" that helps us to be saved. By Jesus dying on the Cross, it makes it able for "us" and "them" to be saved. It guarantees that "whosoever believeth" will be saved. It takes belief/faith on Jesus to be saved.

Act 10:34 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:

So you see, Peter perceived that God was not a respector of persons, according to the verse above. What Jesus did for one, He did for all. By Him dying, He left it up to us to either "accept" or "reject" Him. IOW, "the ball is now in our court". Of course, it takes to Holy Ghost to work with us by His drawing that we able to come to Him. I believe this is what is meant by "work while it's day"(refers to the Holy Ghost working with us). Paul was on his way to Damascus to persecute the christians when the Light shined about him. You see, we can't do anything until the Light shines on us. I believe the Light will appear unto all, but most will stay in darkness. I hope this helps.

Willis

4. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I believe as it says in Romans 10:13, "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." WHOSOEVER means ANYONE, and NOT just a chosen few. I don't believe in a God who would allow people to go to hell without giving them a chance to repent. He does not play favorites.

Besides, since "All our righteousnesses are as filthy rags (Isa. 64:4), then NONE of us are good enough. We are saved by the GRACE of God through faith that comes from Him, and NOT by anything in us.

If God has determined that only a chosen few will be saved, then he lied when He said in 2 Pet. 3:9 that He is "not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance."

I don't know about the rest of you, but I serve a loving and merciful God Who wants ALL to be saved and has provided a way for that to happen through His only begotten Son, Christ Jesus. Unfortunately, many will not avail themselves of that free offer.

The only thing that God has "Preordained" is that all those who are born again will be conformed to the image of His Son. Rom. 8:29. He has NOT preordained some to heaven and others to hell. That is a lie of the devil.

#64 Jon-Marc, Apr 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2008