1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are you among the few or many?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by mman, Mar 30, 2006.

1. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

Galatians 2:16 know that a man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by observing the law, because by observing the law no one will be justified.

For what purpose do we "have to" keep the "Law"?

Where are the Scriptures to support such a claim?

Galatians 3:10 All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law."[3]

Galatians 3:11 Clearly no one is justified before God by the law, because, "The righteous will live by faith."

Mike Sr.

2. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

OKay, "Splain" this to me then: Verses 14 and 15 in particular

I John 3:
    1: Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
    2: Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
    3: And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.
    4: Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
    5: And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
    6: Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.
    7: Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
    8: He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
    9: Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
    10: In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.
    11: For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.
    12: Not as Cain, who was of that wicked one, and slew his brother. And wherefore slew he him? Because his own works were evil, and his brother's righteous.
    13: Marvel not, my brethren, if the world hate you.

14: We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.

15: Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.

16: Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.
    17: But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?
    18: My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.
    19: And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him.
    20: For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.
    21: Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God.
    22: And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.
    23: And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.
    24: And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

Claudia

3. SpiritualMadMan

I am not sure I follow your train of thought or what you're asking me to explain?

4. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

do you see any unconditional salvation here?

I John 3
    14: We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.

15: Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.

we all know that Jesus said the whole law hangs on thee two laws, love God and love your neighbor.

do you see any unconditional eternal life here or anything that says it doesnt matter if we keep the law?

5. gekko

gekko New Member

spiritualmadman said:

"For what purpose do we "have to" keep the "Law"?

Where are the Scriptures to support such a claim?"

well. in romans 3:31 says "Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law."

those verses in Galatians... (we tend to complicate things too much) all they are saying is that those who rely SOLELY on observing the law.

the law is a curse (curse being death) to those who observe solely the law, nothing else, because the law cannot save them. because they'd never beable to keep them all. but by the grace and mercy of Christ, we are able to keep the law, and now have faith.

kinda make sense?
    gek.

6. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

For what purpose do we have to keep the law?

1. the purpose we were created for, to glorify God by representing His character rightly to the world.

2. to be safe to let into heaven, if we have enmity against God's authority, law, government, we would start up the rebellion again.

3. to be born again we cannot serve Satan and God both, we have to choose GOD.

4. the entire purpose of redemption is to save us FROM sin, not IN our sins

claudia

7. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Justification and righteousness are not the same thing as spiritual salvation, which is secure.

John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

John 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

John 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

1 John 5:2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.

1 John 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

2 John 1:6 And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.

8. SpiritualMadMan

And, I thought I was on a Baptist Board?

Sure sounds like an awful lot of the Armenian Persuasion is posting to this thread? [​IMG]

Galatians 3:5 Does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you because you observe the law, or because you believe what you heard?

This rhetorical statement seems to indicate to me that we are freed from "Law" and the proof is that we have God's Spirit...

Romans 3:27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.
    Romans 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

Here Paul seems to say that the Law of Faith, which predates the "The Law", supercedes "The Law"...

Further, his conclusion is that Jusitification is not based upon works of "The Law"...

Now, Salvation is a "Sure Thing"...

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
    Ephesians 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

And, according to Paul Justification is by Faith alone...

The Law was added later as a temporary 'inducement' to righteousness *until* Jesus came

Galatians 3:19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

So, I am absoultely convinced that while I may be Armenian enough to believe in the possibility of my kicking Jesus out of my life (I'd be an absolute fool to do so!), my position in Christ is (as I have Confessed and Believed) a finished work left fully in the Hands of my Author and Finisher. Who having begun a good work, He will finish it. Period.

Admittedly, I can cooperate and make the path to His conclusion a whole lot easier. :D

And, apart from Salvation and Justification I do believe in progressive Sanctification...

(If you ain't growing you're dying!)

But, I do _not_ believe that either our Salvation or Justification is contingent upon anything other than my acceptance of Christ's terms, initially...

Mike Sr.

9. gekko

gekko New Member

so what are you getting at SMM?

that one can be a christian and does not need to follow the law?

10. SpiritualMadMan

Not for Initial Salvation.

Nor, to maintain Salvation.

Not to be Justified...

Nor, to remain Justified...

Any keeping of the Law or ceremony must be from the Abundance of the Heart and Freely Offered without any compulsion...

Mike Sr.