1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are You Purifying Yourself?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Heavenly Pilgrim, May 5, 2008.

1. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

Quote:
    HP: Where is your evidence that the works spoken of here have any particular connection to righteousness or unrighteousness? There are many ‘works’ a man might do in this world that have no moral merit nor can be properly classified as unrighteous deeds. Certainly such works that have no moral merit will serve no eternal purpose, but this in no wise establishes the notion that you seem to be implying of salvation apart from righteousness or that the unrighteousness will be somehow found in Christ at the judgment having an Advocate. The verse simply implies no such thing.

HP: Why do you avoid the question? Show us where the works spoken of have any connection to righteousness or unrighteousness.

2. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Could you elaborate for me please?

Give me a scripture reference of a good work that is not a righteous work.

God Bless! :thumbs:

3. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: Cain’s sacrifice to God. Any sacrifice to God that was offered without a proper heart towards God for that matter.

Mt 23:28 Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity.

Here we see many works that are good in a sense, yet obviously not done with a right state of heart.

This is one of the clearest statement of Scripture that I know of on the subject. 1Co 13:1 ¶ Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
    2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
    3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

Righteousness is right actions motivated by love. It is good works done out of love towards God and our fellowman in obedience to God's Word. One can perform good works apart from righteousness due to the fact that a work may be good 'in a sense' but does not stem from a right state of heart. A good work that is not a righteous one might be performed out of a mere sense of duty or self gratification. Such a work might not be classified as sin, but neither will it be accounted to us as something to be rewarded for. The merits of such acts, lacking the motivation of love towards God and our fellowman, will in eternity simply be burned up, come to naught.

4. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Then you have just answered your own question towards me. I brought up the scripture about works burning up and you claimed that these works had nothing to do with righteousness or unrighteousness when you asked me this...

1Cr 3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

You just made my case for me. If they burned up in the fire then they were unrighteous, correct? Cains "good work" was "unrighteous".

God Bless! :thumbs: