1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are You Suprised At Tongue-Speaking Among...?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TCGreek, Dec 13, 2007.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Amen! You should have seen the PM I received from someone tonight who has stated to have a beautiful private prayer language.

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. I'm essentially in agreement with you; so in 1 Cor 14:2, we must conclude that Paul was being someone sarcastic.

2. The briliant Wayne Grudem would argue for ectastic tongue speaking, which is considered different than the missionary tongue-speaking in Acts.

3. One pastor personally told me of an experience in Brazil, where the interpret interpreted a dialect that he had not even studied.

3. mes228

mes228 New Member

Tongues

It is appalling that 50% of Baptist Pastors agree with speaking in tongues. First I do not believe that statistic. Second, I've had some extended family association with those that do speak and have attended many church/study groups. Every instance I've seen was a self edifying, vain, exhibition and I very much doubt that God had anything to do with it. Most that I know that speak in tongues also embrace the "Latter Rain Movement" which leads to accepting prophets (by the hundreds - even thousands, Apostles (I've known several and had lunch with a few. I would hate to face God in their shoes). They will give account for every false word. The entire movement is spiritually sick, filled with cast aways that foam out their shame. It's a world wide movement dedicated to heresy and false teaching. Also it leads to wasted, loser lives - except for the few at the top that are manipulating the many at the bottom. They do have the closeness of community that many feel is unique to them. It is not. All non-traditional groups have that closeness ie Mormon, Seventh day Adventist, Moonies, etc.etc. This closeness is "felt" to be the trueness of the movement. I've seen it in every non-traditional movement I've experienced. All feel it unique. It's a heretical movement that is unscriptural, ungodly, harmful and heretical especially in relation to the Father and butchers government. Their understanding on government is impossible and heretical theologically. In one major group, founded by a drug addict and adulterer, every leader has been a convicted felon. And a crook, from the founder to next to the last one (he just may not have been around long enough to be exposed). This is not a politically correct position for me to take. But look what happens when evil and heresy is not called what it is, it increases. Between creeping Pentecostalism and Willow Creek "marketing movement" the current generation of Christians are pretty much not. Some Baptist churches cannot be distinguished from a New Life church anymore. I will not post anymore on this subject as it's too politically divisive.. However, it's a shame that Baptist are embracing heresy. If 50% they really do agree with speaking in tongues.

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope. The SBC has assimilated the charismatic form of worship. Tongues-speaking is the next logical step. When that's fully accepted we'll have Benny Hinn style altar calls and people getting slain in the spirit.

5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. I take it that you are opposed to tongue-speaking despite the reports of many missionaries. I'm not talking about the gibberish of the Charismatics--rather the ability to interpret or speak what you have never learned before.

2. We don't have to get into the slippery slope argument here.

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is tongues the only supernatural event being reported? What of healings and working of miracles? What of the dead being raised? Casting out devils?

I read nothing of the end of any of the sign gifts. Where the Word of God is scarce, I expect them. However, it seems to me that if one of the sign gifts is manifest in the mission field, then all of them should be. Tongues is the least of the gifts, but it sure is getting the lion's share of the attention, and that in and of itself causes me to question this recent trend. Now, add to that the charismatic forms of worship already practiced openly and you have a bona fide sceptic on your hands.

So, any reports of the gifts of healing? Not just healings, but the gifts of healing? What of the working of miracles? Not just the occurance of miracles, but the gift of working of miracles?

The Charismatics don't call their tongues gibberish, they call it the ability to interpret or speak what they've never been taught. So you're talking about the same thing.

You asked if I was surprised at the number of SBC folks who are open to the manifestation of tongues. I said no, and that's why. I wasn't surprised when an SBC'er on the board a couple of years ago suggested the burning of incense in worship. I wasn't surprised when SBC youth retreats began incorporating centering prayer. And I won't be surprised when someone says, "Sister Bertha was slain in the spirit at FBC in Pascagoula! Now she's jumpin' pews and shoutin' 'Hallelujah!'"

7. youngmom4

youngmom4 New Member

:laugh: Teehee...a little too much Ray Stevens, I think! *the day the squirrel went berserk..*

Coincidentally, I grew up very close to Pascagoula...never heard about any Baptist being slain in the spirit, though! :eek: :smilewinkgrin: :saint:

8. standingfirminChrist

If they are 'slain in the Spirit,' why have their lives not changed when they leave the Sanctuary? Follow them a week or two and you will find they were not slain after all.

Every place I see one receiving a touch by the Lord and accepting it in the Word of God, they fall to their knees or their face... not backward!

Wanna find out if it is really the Spirit knocking them backwards? Don't catch them when they fall. If the Spirit wants them to fall, He will not allow them to get hurt. And why hinder their fall by catching them anyway?

If it is the Spirit, they won't get up, but I would be willing to say many will jump up complaining, cussing, or calling a lawyer. :laugh:

But the topic at hand is tongues.

9. JerryL

JerryL New Member

That is when I'll move on. The SBC isn't the only horse to ride.

10. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I'm all for worship that brings glory to God, whether among the Charismatics, Presbyterians or Baptists.

11. JerryL

JerryL New Member

I don't see where the falling on the ground shaking, and the "see me tie my bow tie" talking brings glory to God, especially when that isn't the tongues of the Bible, or the throwing of the Holy Spirit around like a softball.

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's really kind of a meaningless statement. There is only one kind of worship that brings glory to God, and that is spiritual worship. Charismatic worship is carnal. It does not glorify God.

13. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Is all of Charismatic worship meaningless?

14. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Have you ever been to a Charismatic worship service?

15. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Yes I have ---- walked away with "nothing lost, nothing gained!!" I'll never understand the logic---that if you worship the way Charismatics worship---you really got yourself something special!!!!

16. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

After being on this board for almost five years...nothing surprises me anymore. :laugh:

17. JerryL

JerryL New Member

I also have. What I saw was much confusion. People laying on the floor shaking, "see me tie my bowtie" rampant, and running around in cirlces around the pews. I never "lost" anything, but I would say say God's Glory was dimmed a little there. BTW Blackbird, I'm with you on that logic thing. They call us "baby" baptists because we "haven't received the true meat of the gospel".

#77 JerryL, Dec 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2007
  18. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

MacArthur has some great stuff on this topic.

MacArthur and tongues

That's a google. I haven't read it all, but a few years ago, I read a lot and bought several of his books and audio pieces for the MC.

19. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Yes, I have.

20. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Are you sure the problem wasn't with you, then?