1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are you sure you like Spurgeon?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Bill Brown, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Bill Brown

Bill Brown New Member

2. Calvibaptist

Calvibaptist New Member

I like him, but, then, you all would know that...

3. Bill Brown

Bill Brown New Member

You like him from the Arminian perspective I suppose....

4. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

The writer says that some people claim Spurgeon's greatness was due to his Arminianism. Who on earth ever said that? It must have been since the rise of the drug problem.

Spurgeon was an ordinary Calvinist and he said the things I'd expect him to say. My opinion of him remains as it always has been: great guy, but he differs from some other great guys like John Wesley. That's the way it's always been, and that's the way it's always going to be.

You invoke your giants, I'll invoke mine, and then maybe we can talk about something else.

5. Bill Brown

Bill Brown New Member

Some people considered Spurgeon to be Arminian not based on anything that he said or wrote but based on the fact they ignore(d) his theology. Modern day free will preachers admire Spurgeon for his homeletical skills but ignore his theological content.

6. Bill Brown

Bill Brown New Member

Pipe, this thread is not about comparing "giants", it is about opinions on Charles Spurgeon. Certainly you are welcome to start a thread on Wesley, Arminius or Pelagius. This is simply my desire to see what people think of Spurgeon once they drill down and find out what he truly taught.

7. Mel Miller

Mel Miller New Member

Bill,

I esteem his depth of Scriptural knowledge because, while upholding God's Sovereignty, he believed in the literal, future reign of Christ
    on earth.

Mel

8. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Well, it doesn't take any drilling, but just to make sure that you get what you desire: I adore Spurgeon [​IMG]

9. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I am a big fan of C.H. Spurgeon. I named my 3rd son Haddon after him.

10. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Yes, I still like him. God blessed Spurgeon with incredible gifts. He's one of my favorite preacers/writers.

11. Dustin

Dustin New Member

Spurgeon was a great preacher, I enjoy his sermons and writings. He preached the sovereignty of God, which is very very rare today.

[ April 17, 2006, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: Dustin ]

12. Bill Brown

Bill Brown New Member

So far, interesting replies. The "preaching to the choir" crowd (of which I would be one) have responded. I suppose what I am looking for is the reaction of our free will friends once they view the substance of Spurgeon's theology.

The church that planted my current church had those in leadership who adored Spurgeon. But our sending church is strongly free will. It has to make you wonder whether they actually know what Spurgeon believed and taught or not. In the same vein, those who hold to Reformed theology should review the teachings of Charles Wesley. Wesley was a strong advocate of the free will position.

My point is not to uplift or degrade anyone. But we sometimes create a caricature of long since gone theologians that may or may not be accurate. I believe our free will friends would join with me in scrutinizing the possible misconceptions of our departed heroes of the faith.

13. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

Spurgeon was a "MAN" and like all men, he wasn't "perfect".

14. Bill Brown

Bill Brown New Member

Yes, he was a man. But what is your opinion of overall ministry? Considering his very plainly stated Calvinist convictions, what do you make of the totality of his ministry?

15. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

Yes, he was a man. But what is your opinion of overall ministry? Considering his very plainly stated Calvinist convictions, what do you make of the totality of his ministry? </font>[/QUOTE]Do you know of any preacher today who has a perfect understanding of scripture?

there's different areas/gifts of the gospel, prophecy is not Gospel is not prophecy, and I don't think there isn't anyone who doesn't stray from their particular called area, But imperfect men is all God has to work with.

Spurgeon preached against the free will of man to believe whatever he chose, and at the same time confessed there were two different beliefs, but did he think the other belief was a gospel from hell, I think not.

And both sides fulfilled their purpose, even with their "imperfections".

16. Bill Brown

Bill Brown New Member

Yes, he was a man. But what is your opinion of overall ministry? Considering his very plainly stated Calvinist convictions, what do you make of the totality of his ministry? </font>[/QUOTE]Do you know of any preacher today who has a perfect understanding of scripture?

there's different areas/gifts of the gospel, prophecy is not Gospel is not prophecy, and I don't think there isn't anyone who doesn't stray from their particular called area, But imperfect men is all God has to work with.

Spurgeon preached against the free will of man to believe whatever he chose, and at the same time confessed there were two different beliefs, but did he think the other belief was a gospel from hell, I think not.

And both sides fulfilled their purpose, even with their "imperfections".
    </font>[/QUOTE]For the record, I do not hold to the view that one must be a Calvinist in order to be saved. When a person comes to faith in Jesus Christ their knowledge of theology is limited. Most only know their sin and that Jesus Christ is able to forgive their sins if they repent and place their faith solely in Christ. As they grow in respect to salvation their theology will often times tell whether their faith was accurate. For instance, if a person claims faith in Christ and then goes on to proclaim that Jesus is not God then their faith was in vain because they have denied an essential truth. They were never saved to begin with. As far as the doctrines of sovereign grace, it depends on how deep they progress into the free will side. I do not believe the foreknowledge view alone will prove their salvation false. But there are depths to the free will view that I believe do prove their salvation false. I suppose that is for another thread.

17. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

For the record, I do not hold to the view that one must be a Calvinist in order to be saved.

I agree.

C/A doctrine is not area of the "gospel of salvation", ignorance as babes. based on faith, is the way a person comes to salvation, the learning process begins after salvation.

1Pe 2:2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:

18. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Thank you for being clear and honest.

19. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are also depths of hyper-calvinism that I believe prove a person's salvation false. And those of you who know me, know that I am calvinistic very much in line with Bill et al.

20. Calvibaptist

Calvibaptist New Member

I agree with you Scott.