1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are you sure you like Spurgeon?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Bill Brown, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

Actually, both sides have "stepped over the line", God can't be "boxed in" 100% on either side.

"Flesh" fuels the debate, had it been "Spiritual", the debate would have ended long ago.

2. J.R.Maddox

J.R.Maddox New Member

It is my opinion that the one thing that endears Spurgeon to so many preachers is his ability to balance theology proper with practical ministry. That’s where most of us live…somewhere between the deep wonderful truths of Gods Word and the application of them in every day living. As Warren Wiersbe says "Blessed are the balanced" Spurgeon was a man who put to practical use his theological framework.... mainly that a belief in the doctrines of grace does not necessitate a lack of evangelism, in fact it motivates and leads one to put to practice ministry as ascribed by our Lord...to preach the gospel and call on all men to repent...Anyone who studies Spurgeon understands that he had a very realistic and balanced view of sovereignty. The article speaks to Spurgeon the theologian...his life and ministry, points us to Spurgeon..."The Prince of Preachers!" This is the Spurgeon that we know and love...

maybe there is a lesson for all of us here...

Though he be dead, he still speaks!

J