1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are you writing a book?

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by John of Japan, Oct 10, 2005.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm a missionary pastor who is for your method, DesiderioDomini. I don't know why other pastors would not be. "Let no man despise thy youth." We raised our son to think for himself, not to take our word for things. This means that we actually showed respect for him as someone made in God's image, with a right to his own view, as long as he could stand up for it with Scripture and logic--even when he was a child. The upshot is that he is now in seminary studying to be a theologian, and he actually disagrees with his father on some things! [​IMG]

The method I believe in using with young people is sometimes called the Socratic method: question, question, question, and then question the answers. However, I believe that Jesus used it far better than Socrates ever did. Note how He taught His disciples: question after question, getting them to think.
    [​IMG]

2. ascund

ascund New Member

Greetings

I have a 640 page manuscript on Eternal Security written from a theological perspective rather than Stanley's fine book from a pastoral perspective.

No major publisher (AMG, Fortress Press, Dorrance, Zondervan, etc.) wants it. Hence, I'm looking for a smaller publisher. Got any good ideas of who to contact?

Lloyd

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

You could self publish. You might want to contact some retailers and ask them what they think such as christianbook.com and eisenbrauns.com. Selling books is about business and they must be able to make a profit and stay in business. Eisenbrauns sells some expensive well written books. They publish a number of their own books.

Have you had any articles published in journals and magazines to get your name established? Do you have any who have endorseed your book. Also 640 pages is a lot for the average reader who might read something on that subject.

4. ascund

ascund New Member

Hi gb

The 640 pages comes in four page sections on verses that have been used to deny OSAS. It is more like an encyclopedia. One can turn to any chapter and begin reading without having to know any other chapter.

thanks for the provided links. I'll look them up directly.

Lloyd

5. DesiderioDomini

DesiderioDomini New Member

that sounds really useful ascund.

Perhaps you could send some excerpts to some well known authors and see if they like it.

Find some authors who use OSAS as their main theme. I am not big in OSAS, so I couldnt really help.

However, I do know people at Zondervan, and I am friends with 2 authors who are published by them. (Randy Frazee, Charles Ryrie)

I could get your work in their hands if you wanna send me a copy. After that, its all up to them, and Gods guidance.

Anyways, let me know if I can help in any way.

6. ascund

ascund New Member

Hey DesiderioDomini

That sounds really neat! I'd like to give them a try. My emails are as follows:

Work: [email protected]
    Home: [email protected]

Thanks for your coordinating effort.
    I'll be waiting for your email. Please use something in the title that won't get deleted. I share a PC at home with a wife, daughter and two grandkids.

Lloyd

7. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

John

I would bet that the difference between illustration(s) in Japanese and in English could be HUGE...

8. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

That will be very nice for you to have written the first one John!

I wrote a book, but have not had the time to go through and rewrite, edit, etc.. I found a publisher, but was not comfortable with them. I have decided to hold off. More importantly, I realized that I obscured the word of God in my writings. I had attempted to write it so as to appeal to a broader audience, but in doing so I realized I was simply rewording it in my conscience, rather than the truth of what I was doing. (being ashamed of boldly proclaiming the name of Christ)
    A couple professors are helping me right now to get some articles published in magazines, and I am hoping that the credit from those will help open some doors to publishing companies I am comfortable dealing with.
    The book itself is inspirational with a touch of humor. It is meant to lift up and encourage Christians, both male and female, although it will be a bit more appealing to the female audience.

Here is an excerpt from right smack dab in the middle of "Undefiled Religion", which is the title of chapter three.

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    About as big a difference as between a big, fat, juicy T-bone and a round of tuna sushi! [​IMG]

Japanese society is based on Confucianism, so everything revolves around relationships and the groups of which you are a part.

Plus there are other cultural elements. I once interpreted a message for a seminary prof from the States. He gave a sermon illustration about a spitoon, and I had to interpret on the fly, since Japanese do not EVER chew tobacco (thank God!). They told me later I interpreted it as, "A vessel to throw up in!" [​IMG]

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Good for you, Gina L, for sticking with what God wants you to write. Keep it up and you will not be sorry. We as Christians should not be writing what would sell, but what people need and what God would have us to write.

11. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "have not had the time to go through and rewrite, edit, etc.."

Been there, doing that! [​IMG]

Have several done except for the editing etc. Just not into that end of writing I fear.

Have some finished that are online but nothing worthy of making big bucks, so not publishable [​IMG]

Have given lots of thought on whether I would get one published if someone wanted to. Have always figured my education/training/gifts are from God so why should I profit :D

12. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

PREACH IT BROTHER!

I am starting back on a book on relationships ...

I think that many on the board would dislike the premise, but I would rather write for God than just about God ... ;)

13. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

When we're famous authors we'll have editors pounding on our doors begging to do all that icky stuff for us! Won't that be great? [​IMG] In the meantime, I believe it's very unfair. After all, cooks aren't expected to wash the dishes, gymnasts aren't expected to clean up the gym, and ship captains don't scrub out cabins, right?
    Now that I have every editor reading this hopping up and down and marking down my name in their little black books...

14. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "When we're famous authors we'll have editors pounding on our doors begging to do all that icky stuff for us! Won't that be great? [Smile] In the meantime, I believe it's very unfair. After all, cooks aren't expected to wash the dishes, gymnasts aren't expected to clean up the gym, and ship captains don't scrub out cabins, right?"

Uuuuuhhh that will be grand, and yes it is definitely unfair!

I've committed myself to get started on it for the last three or four Mondays, and I have yet to touch it. Lasy bum, lazy bum, lazy bum - yes, I am! Booo --- anyone want to volunteer :D

Couple years ago an English teacher found a grammar mistake on my site and really let me have it with both barrels. Had a notion to tell her if it was so terrible, make the site an assignment for her class and send me the results [​IMG]

15. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I am blessed with a wonderful instructor in my English class, who has recognized my talent as well she should (hahaha, actually I'm really grateful for her and the confidence she's given me and told me "when you're this good, you can break the rules!"

I try not to take advantage of it. LOL Think about it though, it's really true! Writing is an expression, an art, and those that are the best are usually the best because they've learned how to break the rules EFFECTIVELY.
    That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it. [​IMG]
    Also, an occasional true mistake in grammar simply lends more authenticity to the author. It shows me you're real, and that you were more concerned with getting the point across than in making sure you didn't make grammatical errors. Readers appreciate that! I'd rather read something that breaks the rules and gets the author's true intention across rather than read a grammatically correct sentence that leaves the intention clouded.
    Feel free to let the English teacher know my opinion. [​IMG]

16. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I run everything through two grammar checkers and find that Bible translators are lousy grammarians, the quoted verses take more time than my stuff. Also, have noticed most older authors I quote have some real problems so I am not overly worried.

I told the teacher that I nearly flunked ninth grade english and have had no English since - that I was in four Bible colleges and they didn't hold me to a good standard on entrance tests otherwise I would have had a lot of English to make up for my failings. Did do a semester of bone head English the first year but wasn't anywhere near enough.

17. Brice

Brice New Member

Exscentric,

Where is your stuff published online? I would love to see some of your work. I promise I won't check your grammer. [​IMG]

18. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    WHAT? YOU WANT ME TO OUT MYSELF? How could you? :eek: I'm incognito here so don't tell anyone ;)

Mr. D's Notes at www.thedericksons.com, if you want the good stuff try my wife's poetry, you might understand it and she should be my editor so you will be safe with her stuff. [​IMG]

19. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Actually Excentric is VERY modest. You can find his notes on theology in the Master Christian Library put out by Ages Software.

Excentrics work is the first serious theology I read from cover to cover.IMHO everybody should read his work before they read anybody else.He teaches you theology in language and concepts that are easily understandable and very clear.He gives you a solid base from which to work when studying others.He is a solid scholar and Biblically sound teacher.

20. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Dear Ascund,
    I would be very interested in reading your book.