1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Armenian Baptists?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jeremiah2911, Sep 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Select few? :BangHead: I believe there will be multitudes in heaven by God's grace, not their own works.

Revelations 7:9-10 "After this I looked, and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and before the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands. And they cried out in a loud voice: “Salvation belongs to our God, who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb.”

Matthew Henry Commentary:

The first fruits of Christ having led the way, the Gentiles converted later follow, and ascribe their salvation to God and the Redeemer, with triumph. In acts of religious worship we come nigh to God, and must come by Christ; the throne of God could not be approached by sinners, were it not for a Mediator. They were clothed with the robes of justification, holiness, and victory; and they had palms in their hands, as conquerors used to appear in their triumphs. Such a glorious appearance will the faithful servants of God make at last, when they have fought the good fight of faith, and finished their course. With a loud voice they gave to God and the Lamb the praise of the great salvation. Those who enjoy eternal happiness must and will bless both the Father and the Son; they will do it publicly, and with fervour. We see what is the work of heaven, and we ought to begin it now, to have our hearts much in it, and to long for that world where our praises, as well as our happiness, will be made perfect.

#41 Thousand Hills, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2011
  2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

How many make it through the narrow gate?

Of course viewed through the scope of every human who ever existed it will be a large multitude, but compared to those that perish it will be a few.

3. Jeremiah2911

Jeremiah2911 Member
    Site Supporter

Hello,well maybe I'm not understanding something....I said Salvation is a work of God not man--I thought that was all I said--and I would think that Scriptural [Eph 2.8-10], not a false dichotomy[I'm going to have to get a dictionary! :)] .....if you are ascribing your comment to the fact I think myself Calvanistic, I rather should say I'm a Bible believer, and the Calvinistic theology seems to fit Scripture best in my [and many others] opinion....God bless and sorry if I'm misunderstanding you....

4. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Before You Can Get Through the Narrow Gate....

....You must spiritually navigate the narrow path.

5. 12strings

12strings Active Member

The Baptist Faith and Message (SBC statement of faith) affirms Eternal security.

However, there are many who (based on years of observing people fall away) would say that although Jesus will never cast someone out, and "no one ELSE may pluck them" out of his hand...that a person can willingly remove themselves from salvation (which they would consider to have been true for some time) and then be lost once again. Again, in our church those who hold this view are generally those in their 50's & 60's who have seen numerous people who seemed to follow god for many years, and then turn away.

My personal view on this is that they (1) may not have been saved at all, or (2) may still be saved but in a time of disobedience...God knows.

When I taught a Sunday School class on this, we had a great discussion (It was even civil, believe it or not!)...and we emphasized that regardless of whether we believe someone was formerly a Christian or not...if they seem to not be a Christian NOW, they need to keep hearing the gospel and have Christians reach out to them.

6. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Relatively speaking there will be a "few," even the Bible says so, as Webdog pointed out.

7. Skandelon

The comment made in this context seemed to suggest that those who believe as you do (Calvinistically) credit Salvation as a work of God while those who are not Calvinists must believe it is a work of man. That is a debate fallacy called "false dichotomy." (Google has some good dictionaries. :) )

I'm wondering how "Calvinistic" you have become. Do you believe that all who hear the Gospel appeal to be reconciled to God are able to willingly repent and believe unto salvation? If not, why not?

8. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Why does God "owe" salvation to All though?

ALL of us are dead in our sins and natures towards God, willfully chose to sin against him...

So the cals make sure to have salvation as the means by which God gets the glory, as it is HIM deciding to save us, while Arms tend to see it as them deciding for God...

9. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another group fitting the OP description would be Russian Baptists:thumbs:

10. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    http://www.founders.org/library/dagg_vol1/all.html

This site has many great SBC resources.... the Founders movement is trying to get many to look at the historic confessions that southern baptisits used to use...some still do!

http://www.vor.org/truth/1689/1689bc00.html

here is the complete 1689 confession of faith....used by all ARBCA churches

http://reformedbaptistfellowship.wordpress.com/

Good articles here;

http://www.banneroftruth.org/pages/home.php

look up the archived articles...good resource! click on articles

These will keep you going.....

if i could recommend one book by a Baptist...it would be this one....
    http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/a-baptist-catechism-with-commentary/6135589

You can download it to your desktop for only 5$ [look in the upper right hand corner for direct download]...the book goes for 15 plus tax/shipping.......if you do not like the book...I will buy it off of you no questions asked....it is Christ centered, contemporary, loaded with scripture and helpful teaching from the Greek and Hebrew. Good for families and churches.....everyone who has picked it up loves it...any page is a bible study all by itself!

11. Jeremiah2911

Jeremiah2911 Member
    Site Supporter

Hello again Brother [I think your a Bro and not a Sis :)]I'm heading to my daughters vball game in a moment so I can't write a volume, but I'll just say this: If I believed word for word what you just said [IF I'm understanding correctly :)], my preaching would be entirely based on emotional evangelistic appeal [ex Charles Finney] because I would think something I could do would be able to save someone [my job is to preach the Bible and allow the Holy Spirit do His Work]--also, if I believe I have ultimate control over my decision, wouldn't I also have to believe I could lose my salvation? I've written in other posts that I believe the Bible--I trust that whosoever will may come, I just believe whosoever will WILL come--I'm not a Bible Scholar and I would never get in a heated debate about something I don't consider that important--the important thing is for a soul to accept Christ and know for sure they have eternal life, regardless of what we "theologians" believe..... btw, yes, Paul said Godly sorrow worketh repentence

God bless and peace

12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :thumbsup:::thumbsup::

13. Skandelon

I just asked a question...one you failed to answer by the way. :)

If you are insinuating that all non-Calvinists rely completely upon emotional manipulations tactics, then you could not be more mistaken. Non-Calvinists, like myself, believe salvation is a work of God, we would just take issue with the concept that such work is irresistibly applied to a select few to the neglect of all others.

Secondly, why do you call it "my decision" if you don't have control over it? Isn't it God's decision?

Third, some affirm that one can freely believe and repent thus receiving the seal of the Holy Spirit thus guaranteeing their inheritance. Once the HS seals the deal he is faithful to complete the work that was begun by Him. After all, all believers, have been predestined to be conformed to the image of Christ and ultimately adopted as sons/daughters upon the redemption of our bodies...something the church eagerly awaits.

14. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

15. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

1] a select few , is a complete mis-representation of the biblical gospel

2] to the neglect of all others ...is biblically incoherent....How can salvation be a "work of God" and not save?
    In your view God does part of it ,then man does the rest. In your view salvation is a work of man and God together....that is not the biblical view.

16. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

True, yet that is exactly what you (a Calvinist) will and do preach. (Especially if they mock you:rolleyes: )

Salvation is a gift, one that may or may not be accepted. Defining it as irresistible is not the biblical view. How many times are you going to ask the same question that has been answered here thousands of times?!

In your view for God to be sovereign He has to have determined all things. Therefore one can only conclude that His offer of salvation to all men is not genuine. God not being “Truth” is Biblically incoherent.

Just trying to help you Icon.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...yet the Bible states many are called, few are chosen, few will enter through the narrow gate, etc.

Acts 17:26-27 show God placing man in the ideal location on this planet and time to seek Him and "perhaps find Him, although He is not far from each of us." Clearly this is a work of God not resulting in salvation else "perhaps" would not be in the equation.

18. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes.....that is a good thing Benjamin...although Winman considers trying to help to be arrogant ,and condescending....I do not. You can offer biblical correction at anytime Benjamin...perhaps one day we might be in biblical agreement...[or...maybe we will have to wait until the last day:laugh:]

it might seem odd but I do not think that you are as far apart from what biblical calvinists see as truth as you think.....when we are not contending with each other...I see when you answer others who do not "push your buttons "...that your responses many times interweave with exactly how a calvinist would answer ....be careful Benjamin....you might slip and start reading some of the puritans and see verses you do not hear opened up in your church:thumbsup:

19. Skandelon

In addition to what Webdog and Ben already pointed out, allow me to ask why this offends? Isn't it a relative few who are selected by God for salvation in the Calvinistic system? When you compare those who are elect with those who are not wouldn't you say the elect are "few" in comparison? I'm not sure why this offends???

Because it's not meant to be irresistible as you presume.

Which is much more biblical than the view where condemned men have the perfect excuse because God didn't provide sufficient means by which they could be reconciled. Your view exalts the view of man by giving him a good excuse for his unbelief.

#59 Skandelon, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2011
  20. Jeremiah2911

Jeremiah2911 Member
    Site Supporter

Hello again! Eventually I'm going to have to show my ignorance and it might as well be now..... I can certainly see that, long before I joined this board, there has been much discussion and "debate" [for lack of a better term] between "cals and non cals", [I never claimed to be a 5pt Calvinist, only that I am Calvinistic btw] and there seems to be lines drawn and etc etc. I joined this forum just to enjoy fellowship with other believers, pastors, etc and I admit I've already been drawn into some debates on other issues which probably aren't going to edify anyone, and I don't feel like this debate is going to edify anyone either--I thought I answered your question, but its quite possible I didn't understand it :) I believe those who hear the Gospel, the Spirit draws them, they repent, accept Christ, they are regenerated, born again, they are saved AMEN! Besides that point, does anything else really matter? Does everyone have a "chance" to be saved? The Scripture surely seems to say everyone [with an accountable mind] sure does. Will everyone be saved? No......now, how we get from point A [sinners hearing the Gospel] to point B [sinners being born again, or lost eternally], KNOWING our Lord has foreknowledge, is where it gets fuzzy....Does it really matter how we get from pt A to pt B? Brother, if it was God's design to save all, all would be saved....Scripture says clearly [again] whosoever ......but I'm torn because why don't they??
    Your question was:
    Now, after having written that mini novel above, I can honestly say I don't understand your question, because I don't believe all who hear the Gospel will appeal to be reconciled....no one will willingly repent and believe unless the Spirit draws him

:) I'm too dumb to be insinuating anything! I never said such a thing! I was raised in an Arminian Church [lose your salvation] and, lets face it, if you can lose your salvation, you will....How can we keep it being human? So every Sunday morning the Preacher would preach a fire and brimstone salvation message [every Sunday] to the same congregation.....then people would walk the aisles and try to get people to repent.....this is what I grew up with and I was never comfortable for visitors when we were fortunate enough to have them! But if I believed I [man] had anything to do with the salvation process, it would certainly change my entire approach to preaching!

As far as the "select few" issue, again, God has foreknowledge, how you get from pt A to pt B is the issue. I know my God is a loving God, but if I [and my peabrain] could understand His Mind, He wouldn't be much of a God. I have gotten into some "discussions" in my Church in years past with people who would be open deists [even though they don't know what that means]:)....I could never accept open deism.

The problem here is semantics, I was just trying to answer your question

Well, whatever you mean by freely I may not understand, but if the Holy Spirit isn't in the process, I don't know how you'd ever see a man/woman repent or be regenerated......
    Peace man Peace:jesus:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.