1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Arminians That I Admire

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Rippon, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

I agree! Pink's writings are so clear and his points so scripturally substantiated as he wrote. I read The Sovereignty of God with my bible on my lap and my jaw dropping in shock! Wonderful book! I am preparing to read Murray's bio of Pink this week. Have been reading Lloyd-Jones Sermon on the Mount and reviewing Jeremiah Burrough's Gospel Worship!
    Would be interesting to consider over what specific issues Clark confronted Tozer on. Early on before coming to the doctrines of grace I read a lot of Tozer. Really love to read his writing still as most of it has a real devotional style.

2. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Do any of y'all admire John Wesley? (He hasn't been listed yet.)

3. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I started to say Wesley right away, but then I thought it ought to be someone more contemporary. But then I couldn't think of anyone but Wesley so I just gave up.

4. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I don't know much about Wesley, but Spurgeon admired him a lot. So that counts for points in my book.

5. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I read the book maybe 2 years ago, maybe a little less. The whole time I read it, I kept thinking "If only the free-willers on BB read this, they'd get an answer to every one of their claims." Maybe they'd dismiss what Pink said as they do the Calvinists here, but IMO Pink states the case so much more clearly than most of us, and with an abundance of scripture.

6. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Ryrie,Evans,Chafer,Pentecost,Rice, Walvoord,Wilmington,and Zuck who are not outright arminians or straightaway 5 point calvinists,but then niether am I.

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I was just about to mention Chafer. I like his systematic theology.

8. Blammo

Blammo New Member

I just went to Google and typed in "pink calvin" minus the quotation marks. I thought I might read a bit of what Pink wrote. Instead I got a bunch of links to web sites for pink Calvin Klein under garments. :laugh:

I'll try "pink calvinism" next time.

You think that was preordained?

9. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

10. Blammo

Blammo New Member

11. Baptist_Pastor/Theologian

How about old Arminius himself...

"After the reading of Scripture, which I strenuously inculcate, and more than any other ... I recommend that the Commentaries of Calvin be read ... For I affirm that in the interpretation of the Scriptures Calvin is incomparable, and that his Commentaries are more to be valued than anything that is handed down to us in the writings of the Fathers -- so much that I concede to him a certain spirit of prophecy in which he stands distinguished above others, above most, indeed, above all"
    -Jacobus Arminius (1560-1609):thumbs:

12. npetreley

npetreley New Member

You mean Calvin Klein isn't the Calvin of Calvinism? Shoot, I have to re-evaluate my doctrine now.

13. old tyme baptist

old tyme baptist New Member

14. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  15. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm coming to this party a little late. Thanks Rippon, I didn't know GCM was Arminian. I don't know what to think about him bringing up D.M. Lloyd-Jones. I have started collecting books with sermons and I'm considering the GCM set from CBD. I'm also thinking about getting something by Wesley.

I consider myself a Calvinist but the truth be told is I don't have a good firm grip on Arminian theology to make good comparison. To that end, I have brought in a few Arminian theology books but I haven't had time to study them. I think though that a lot of Calvinists who are negative on Arminians don't really know the theology behind the movement. There are liberals in every theological camp.

16. Perhaps Today

Perhaps Today New Member

I agree with you, my favorites on that list are Charles Ryrie, and Lewis Sperry Chafer.

I will also add J Vernon McGee to this list, I highly recommend his writings, and radio programs. I would consider him to be in the same category as those listed above.

17. Darrenss1

Darrenss1 New Member

In Tozar's series on Hebrews he mentioned in a few or more sermons that he was neither Calvinist nor Arminian. In fact he said when he preaches he's Arminian and when he prays he a Calvinist!! Gotta love his humor....

:laugh:

Darren

18. Darrenss1

Darrenss1 New Member

Agreed. I love listening to McGee's through the bible series, would recommend it to anyone. :thumbsup:

Darren

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's actually not so humorous. Tozer was right. any regenerate Arminian when praying is a Calvinist. There can't be any Arminian prayers by true Christians.

20. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Everything you post is humorous.

Let me be sure I understand what you just said. "There cannot be any Arminian prayers by any true Christians." What are the types of prayers Arminians pray? That is about the stupidest statement in the history of this board.

I believe Arminians read the same Bible you do that says a fervent prayer avails much. One of the reasons you cannot make effective arguments for Calvinism is that you do not understand the beliefs of the opposite side.

#40 saturneptune, Aug 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.