1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Arnold Murray & Shepherd's Chapel

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Jensen, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Jensen

Jensen New Member

I have a man in my church that is involved in the cult-like (?) teachings of Arnold Murray. He is very much into this "Serpent Seed" doctrine and almost always seems to tie "Kennites" into everything.

If you are not familiar with this man and his teachings, here is a link to his site:
    http://www.shepherdschapel.org/

Here link that "refutes" his teachigs:
    http://www.letusreason.org/Poptea4.htm

My question is this: How do I go about confronting him about these heretical teachings?

P.S. I pastor a small church (nearly everybody is related by blood or marriage)

Thanks for any assistance.

Steve

2. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would suggest you become a source of information for this fellow. If he is truly saved the Holy Spirit will not allow him to continue in such a horrific line of teaching without conviction. There is some spiritual need that he feels is being meet, pray and ask God to reveal that need to you and also a way in which you can meet that need through the ministry of the local congregation. Also, I feel you must consider and pray about the fact that what is appealling is the racist overtones of this guys teaching.
    I have seen this guy on TV and I tell everyone I meet to run from him like the devil bit your b**t.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think every pastor has run into this kind of thing at some point in time.

Remember 2 Timothy 3:16,17, "All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work."

By accurately teaching the Bible the person will be corrected if he allows himself ot be taught. I am assuming that the person wants to learn more about what the Bible teaches. That is a good thing.

You might just ask the man about Shepherd's Chapel and the pasotoral work of the preacher. I have been places and seen the literature of a church nearby that is only about 30 people. The locals think of the man as strange and a heretic. TV can make a person look good until someone else begins to ask the right questions.

Some years ago a person in the church I was pastoring gave me some tapes to listen to. I did and we discussed them. After our discussion the person quit listening to the tapes and his theology began to correct.

At one time I pastored a church loaded with false teaching and started teaching from 1 and 2 Peter. Then I preached from the book of Matthew.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Double post