1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Art thread

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by evenifigoalone, Jan 3, 2014.

1. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Good stuff. I have a deviantart page also, but haven't updated it in forever.

Some of my best:

EDIT: Holy cow the pictures are huge! My bad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#21 RLBosley, May 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2014
  2. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Lovely thread that I had not checked out, silly me. I am not artistic but I am a good artisan. The difference being to my mind I lack the originality as an artist, but I can render excellence in following a pattern. I am a passionate needlewoman!

3. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow, lovely detail work!

I'm not able to draw realistic humans just yet, but I can draw realistic and detailed animals.

4. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Thank you!

I love drawing people, particularly portraits. It's always a challenge.

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

Wow, some terrific art here.

My 15 year old daughter is a pretty good artist, here is a drawing she made.

[​IMG]

6. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

After seeing you mention your art in the music thread I came here again to read through this. I don't know how the above didn't catch my attention before.

Art school is to build up your skills, not for after. Just like business, you get your education so you can know how to run a company, not after you have it all figured out.

If you are at all interested in traditional/classic realism - even in digital form - you should look in your area to see if there are any ateliers. They are a continuation of the old academic system from Europe, that produced the greatest art in history. Most, as far as I know, are unaccredited, since they are more like a trade school than a college. However, the training from any atelier is vastly greater than you would ever get at your local college. They actually teach art, not the rubbish that is often called by that name.

You can find a local atelier, if there is one, through the art renewal center.

http://www.artrenewal.org/pages/ateliers.php

Sent you a note!

#26 RLBosley, May 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2014
  7. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks. I'll have to take a look.
    What would you suggest if I wish to get into graphic design?
    And I was under the impression that I would need at least basic skills before I could be accepted into any formal classes? While there are areas I'm very good in, there are others that still need a lot of work. I can draw forms and especially animals (have practiced human anatomy lately, too), but drawing inorganic objects and backgrounds, while I have made good progress, are nowhere near as honed.

I love realism and detail, though my work is also influenced by Impressionism. And to some degree I do enjoy drawing cartoons.

8. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

By graphic design do you mean digital art or designing/beautifying websites?
    Either way I would say you probably need to go to a college at some point. I don't know for sure as that isn't my thing. Regardless, going to a good atelier or similar workshop and working in traditional media would help your skills immensely.

Some schools may require you meet a set criteria, but those are in the minority I believe. Also, an atelier would be more likely to accept someone that may need more practice since you get better, more personal instruction.

Regarding still-lifes: The best advice I can give you is just find some random, interesting subjects you would like to draw or paint, set them up and do a still life. Try and give yourself a goal of doing, for example, one new picture every day for 2 weeks. You get the idea.

Also, don't get the impression though that I am a professional or that I've been through all this. I've only attended an atelier briefly in the past and I have a very different full-time job. But I am giving you my best advice. I also suggest you should seek our professionals that are where you want to be and ask them questions.

9. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    I haven't done as much practice as I'd like to be able to claim this year.

Here's a few that I feel were among my best these past few months:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And then there's this one done with traditional art tools:
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    I'm a bit more used to digital art where it's super easy to cover up, erase, and totally backtrack on mistakes ^^;

10. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Lovely! I can barely draw a recognisable stick figure, but enjoy the art of thread work.

Mel

11. Aemilius

Aemilius New Member

Hello, some really good stuff here. I used to draw a bit. Here is "The Temple".... A Pen and Ink drawing done with a Rapidograph drafting pen that draws a line about the width of a human hair. About 20x24 inches. All freehand (no ruler, measurements or preliminary sketch), loosely modeled on a ruined Roman style temple in Turkey I saw a picture of once. The technique is stippling (dots). It took several hundred hours....

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    O_O NICE!

I don't feel like I have done much this year that's worth commenting on. But then, I have been working a bit more on stuff that's not my strongsuit, which means I'm much less likely to feel like sharing it since it isn't turning out very practiced looking. Still, I feel like I neglected to draw nearly as much as I should have this year.
    Here are a few okay ones:
    [​IMG]
    http://colliequest.deviantart.com/art/005-576333925

[​IMG]
    http://colliequest.deviantart.com/art/Inktober-10-565513554
    This is from "Inktober", where every day in October you draw with ink. Participating in it was probably the best thing I did this year. Most of my days weren't good enough to share online.

[​IMG]
    http://colliequest.deviantart.com/art/088-565297800
    This was originally drawn for a PowerPoint presentation that didn't end up being used.

13. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    attempt_at_journal_doll_by_colliequest-d8jnnhq.gif laddie_journal_doll_by_colliequest-d9lr8w1.gif more_experimentation_by_colliequest-d8mdpjr.gif
    There is these, as well. Though they are animated (simply animations), so I'm not sure how well that will show up here.
    (click on the thumbnails)
    eta: Holy moly, the thumbnails are not flattering! I swear, they do look better than that!

#33 evenifigoalone, Jan 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  14. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    bkai.PNG jnjbjbjunjninkai.png kaiajnjn.PNG kaiangryuu.PNG

betamin_bubbles.png betamin_colored.png

color_palette_challenge__brittany_miller_by_colliequest-d9nzaso.png color_palette_challenge__trunks_by_colliequest-d9n6gay.png rq__harpy_gee_by_colliequest-d9h3cuv.png

Attached Files:

15. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    chichiportrait.png khan.png konuo.png reintiruswscars.png roqueicons.png treader.png
    Some stuff I've drawn within the last three months