1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Arthur W. Pink and Henry Allen Ironside

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Rippon, Feb 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the historical forum is appropriate becuse these things that are going to be described took place almost a century ago.
    The two men AWP (1886-1952) and H.A. I. (1876-1951) were certainly contempories of one another. Though their theological views and personal ways were quite different between the two.

I will quote some snips of letters that AWP wrote when mention was made of Harry Ironside.

I will cite from Letters Of And Itinerant Preacher 1920-1921 edited by Richard P. Belcher.

Ja. 17,1921
    " You will want to know something of the conditions here. Well, the Devil has gotten in quite a little work since I left. It is the old story --jealousy. Bro. Ironside returned to Oakland in October to spend the winter here, and started a series of Bible readings in the Brethren Assembly Hall: but the people would not come to hear him --preferred Bro T. at the tent. This incensed Bro. Ironside.Thompson took pity on him, and invited him to the Tent, but as soon as Ironside began crowds fell off markedly..[HAI making accusations] After Ironside was through, Bro. Thompson, arose and contradicted him to his face and I gather there was quite a scene, Ironside getting very hot. A very short time after this, someone went round to see Bro. Ironside about Reprobation, taking him a marked copy of my book. Ironside seized on this and made the most possible out of it: said it was a bottle of deadly poison and so on: he warned all who belonged to the Assembly to burn my books & urged them to shun the Tent: most Assembly folk have done so, and quite a few of the young converts have been so stumbled by the breach between Ironside and Thompson. They have gone back to their Denominations disgusted with Brethrenism. But distressing as all this is, the Divine purpose in it is apparent: God invariably TESTS those who have professed to receive His truth."

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jan. 18,1921

"I went in Book Room here yesterday to get my mail: Mr. Crain was pleasant, but obviously ill at ease: said nothing regarding Sovereignty. Bro. I. was in his office --only glass partion between, but took no notice of me. They are afraid!"

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jan. 30, 1921

"You asked me to keep you posted re developments here respecting the opposition. There has been little change since I last wrote. Neither Bro. I. or Crain ever came near the Tent: they are scarcely civil when we go to the book Concern for anything. Bro. I. is the 'Pope' of the Assembly, and has succeeded in persuading about two-thirds of its members to keep away from the Tent."

Will continue in about 18 hours.

4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You already posted this stuff in another thread titled "H.A.Ironside And A.W. Pink":

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm, so I have. I had forgotten about it. Well, if I had reopened that thread I would have been charged with resurrecting a nearly decade old thread.

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mods, as Jerome pointed out --this is a duplicate thread. I didn't realize it.
    I request that you close this one down please.

7. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Closed at OP's request.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.