1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Artificial Sweetener, Helpful or Harmful Alternative?

Discussion in 'Health and Wellness' started by Benjamin, Jan 26, 2010.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

MK, I don't eat sugar at all, not risking gianing weight from it or fat. never going back where I was.

Benjamin, try adding fruit to your muffins, how about nuts.

2. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay guys… wasn’t trying to sound all mushy or anything and that was a “just kidding wink” not a flirtatious one in case anybody’s wondering! :eek::laugh:

All forgotten John.

Menageriekeeper, I haven’t tried honey yet but I think I’ll try some of that; a few carbs for energy wouldn’t hurt anyway.

Donna, I have put either bananas or applesauce in every time and have pretty much settled on the applesauce. I also put blueberries in every time now since I first tried it, and they’re a nice touch. I’ve been thinking about adding some apple pieces and nuts or even almond flour. I think I’ve done 9 batches now.

I’ve discovered that I lose between 4 and 8 pounds by the end of my workout week (M-F) and think this is affecting my gains, even though I manage to get the weight back over the weekends. Trying to find good pre-prepared munchie foods, make them, or even find supplements without artificial sweeteners or refined sugars is a nightmare.

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

look around the internet at different recipes for oat muffins and see what kind of ideas you can find of what people are adding to them to add flavor. You might find something to suit your tastes and needs. Maybe using fruit juices as your moisture instead of water or milk will add a natural sweetness. Of course, I agree with trying the honey, I occasioanlly use honey, but not a lot.

4. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Hard candy in a bag keeps a lot longer than apples. Even refrigerated, apples turn soft too quickly for me, and I go to the store no more than once a week if that. I prefer to buy things that will keep a while. Plus I cannot afford fruit on my limited income.

5. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

As for bland food, a doctor once told me, "You will be on bland food for the rest of your life." That was because of stomach problems and gas. I remember thinking (I didn't say it out loud), "Oh no I won't!"

I have many spices and herbs that I use depending on what I'm making. I like to experiment and have come up wtih some great recipes, and I've thrown out a few failed experiments. You learn from experience.

I LOVE hot and spicy, but I've learned what I can and cannot use. I cannot eat black pepper, but red pepper doesn't bother me (the powdery and not the flakes); surprisingly jalapeno peppers don't bother me (unless I can't get them). On the 1st of each month I buy a 64oz. bottle of jalapeno pepper slices and use them in several dishes, in my salad, and on ham and cheese sandwiches.

There's no such thing as bland when I make it. In baked goods (depending on what it is) I use cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, lemon and orange peel.

Try this for sugar free brownies.

Low Fat, Sugar Free Brownies

3/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
    1 2/3 cups Splenda
    1/2 cup milk (more if needed)
    2 eggs
    2 tsps. vanilla
    1 1/2 cups self rising flour
    3/4 cup cocoa powder
    1 TBsp. baking powder
    1/2 of 10 oz. bag of walnuts (use
    pecans if preferred

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all
    ingredients in medium bowl and beat
    until smooth. Add more milk if needed.
    Stir in nuts.

Spread into greased 9x13 inch pan. Bake
    15-18 minutes (do NOT over bake. Better
    to under bake a little than over bake), or
    until toothpick inserted in center comes
    out clean.

Brownies will be cake-like in texture and not
    like your typical brownies. if you want typical
    brownie texture, cut the baking powder to 1
    tsp. Cut into bars.

6. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Fruit in cakes adds a moistness that you can't get any other way.

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

going to try your brownie recipe soon. I love brownies, one of my very favorites, except I don't want sugar anymore, so I'm hopeful on this one.

8. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

While it's not as good as it would be with sugar, Donna, I like it and often make it. I took 4 dozen of those brownies to a potluck and only had one dozen left to take home.

My chili won first place in a chili cookoff. Some of the other chilis were yucky in my opinion.

I made a 6 quart crock pot of chicken cacciatore (6 pounds of chicken) for a pot luck and had none left over.

Am I bragging? Yes, I am. For a man I'm a pretty good cook and baker and don't mind saying so. :laugh: Maybe it's the French in me. No, I don't speak the language.

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

jon-marc, i love cooking and finding new ways to use my regular ingredients, so bragging is allowed, not everyone is a good cook.
    chili is one of those things that can easily be a bad food, we're pretty picky about ourselves.

10. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, just a thought. Living in AZ my fruit grows on trees...literally...I have 9 citrus and and 5 producing peach, necturine, fig fruit at the moment. BTW, if you were my neighbor I would have you covered. Anyway, I see you're in FL, there's lots of citrus there, correct? There might be somewhere that someone would just like their trees picked.

Rather than let my citrus go to waste; I can't even give them all away, I juice them and make ice cubes out of it. The lemon juice ice cubes I use just one in a glass of water during the summer. Orange, tangelo, and grapefruit I make big bags of ice cubes and just take a couple out and eat them occasionally. Much better for you than hard candies if it fills your needs...just sayin

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

grated citrus peel in your muffins would be wonderful too.