1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

As a Baptist, are the Newpaper Funnies More or Less Offensive??

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Jul 14, 2014.

?
  1. More offensive ....

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Not the least bit offensive ....

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Less offensive ....

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. There are some concerns (see comments) ....

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I do think the topics are not what they used to be .... FUNNY!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I do censor what I let my children read ....

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I no longer subscribe to the paper, for the reason noted in comment section ....

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. The paper, like the comics are too negative and too realistic ....

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  9. I love the paper, and the comics are getting better than ever ....

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. I am listing my favorite and the least favorite comics in the comment section!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It may be me, and the truth is I am getting older, so maybe, just maybe; I fail to see the humor in a greater percentage of the daily newspaper comic strips! Which is why I am asking you, as the church, if you have noticed a decline in the morals and family values being displayed in the paper funny sections?

There are still some great comics, like Baby Blues, Family Circus, Beetle Bailey, Garfield, B.C., Blondie, or Pickles and Dennis the Menace.

Even so, I see more and more comic strips that are either controversial or on the edge, trying to maintain an audience at any cost, especially when it comes to changing morals and values in our country! For example, there is Baldo, Six Chix, Doonsberry, Non Sequitur, Argyle Sweater, Zits, Bizarro, and even Luann ( of her classmates, after graduating, ran off to Peru together).

I find many of these so-called comic strips disrespectful of parenting, and displaying a lack of the moral compass, by introducing homosexuality into the story line, or causal, premarital sex, which is nothing more than fornication!

So, as a parent, or an older adult, are you getting less enchanted with the so-called comic strips, or could I just be reading too much into the lines between the lines?

2. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can't really vote any options in the poll.
    I don't subscribe to the paper, but because I barely read it so it's not worth the money. (News blogs are where it's at, brah!)
    I always did enjoy reading the comics, though.

I can't comment on any of them since it's probably been a couple of years since I read any, and I was either a kid or teenager most of the years I did read them regularly. In the past they at times expressed opinions I didn't agree with, but I don't find that particularly offensive. (Non Sequitur was one that I remember disagreeing with a lot.)
    Never saw anything that bad from Zits, unless it's any different now than a few years back. I remember as a teenager my mom complaining about the teenager was making out with his girlfriend, but other than that.

3. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I stopped reading them long ago. Not for any moral reason, but just because I didn't enjoy them anymore.

Other than Doonesbury, I've never heard of the ones you listed. And the only "Luanne" I know of is the well meaning but terminally stupid niece on King of the Hill.

I used to like Kudzu and Mallard Fillmore, but they don't have them in the papers up here.

4. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I've not read a newspaper in years, maybe a decade if you're going for consistency. And when I did read them, it was the WSJ or FT, so no cartoons.

On my shelf I've got the complete Calvin and Hobbes and the Far Side book sets. This seems to be worth my while. I don't get offended easily, so I guess I'd say no to the poll.

5. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My favorite

Love the Calvin and Hobbes series. Far side, in it's day, was also spot on with its humor! :thumbsup:

6. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    rd2, did you hear about the pastor what got a part time job as a life guard? He got fired his first day on the job. Sittin' atop his look out post he noticed that way out in the water this guy was throwing his arms up in the air. Being the Baptist Preacher that he was he said, Praise the Lord I see that hand..."

Show and tell time at school.

This little boy gets up and says, "My dad is an author. He will take pencil and paper and write a short story and he gets $500.00 for it.

Next little boy gets up and says, "My dad is a poet. He will take pencil and paper and write a poem and he gets $500.00 for it.

Little Susie gets up and say, My dad is a Baptist Preacher. He will take pencil and paper and write out a sermon and when he gets done it takes SIX MEN to collect up all the money.

I really enjoy humor in any and all forms, excluding of course, the modern day stand-up comics who need to rely upon vulgarity for a laugh. Many of the comic strips touch on the American way of life that often does touch on truth. Hey, the truth is the truth even if exaggerated a bit.

Remember the Comic Strip..., "Will B Dunn"?

America often heals through humor. Recall our Space Shuttle Challenger disaster? Humor had it that NASA was going to change to Dr. Pepper as their favorite soft drink because they couldn't get 7 up.

Laughter is like marrow to our bones.

Besides, it's more fun to have fun than to walk around grumpy..., you know, like some who just can't seem to understand why the world doesn't follow them around.

7. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most comics appeal to the flesh.

"be not conformed to this world; but be transformed by the renewing of your minds" Do a word study on conformity.

It is not new: we have been bombarded by lust of flesh, lust of eyes, and pride of life since the Garden of Eden.

The standard has not changed: Holy------------Holy-------------Holy.

We all fall short.

We have changed the paradigm from: What is right with it? To: What is wrong with it?

Now what?

Repent and do the first works.

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

#7 Bro. James, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2014
  8. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most comics appeal to the flesh.

No disrespect intended but so do the automobiles we drive. The clothes we wear. The homes we live in. We are in the flesh and it seems to me that our command is to distinguish therein.

I doubt my last surgeon was a Christian but I still turned to him for his talents.

9. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely--this is where conformity to the world comes in.

The Scripture says we are not to conform to the world. We have put our light under a bushel.

Which ones are the Christians? They all look and act alike except on Sunday.

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

10. thisnumbersdisconnected

I think that's a problem, QD. Bloggers are untrained, prone to political activism and usually have an agenda that far outweighs any effort they might make to appear objective. Blogs are responsible for most of the bad and misinformation that gets spilt out into the public's perception. If they can't report a fact to support their unorthodox commentaries -- rarely does a blogger do a pure news story -- then they feel free to make one up.

As a news source, bloggers are worthless.

11. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All right, I have two teenaged sons and I love Zits. Exactly what about this comic strip is offensive? Seriously.

To answer your question, I suppose that comic strips reflect popular society, so yes, they are getting more offensive. I quit reading Doonesbury years ago (it's gotten stale) but that strip belongs on the opinion page, the leftist slant is immediately recognizable. It can be argued by liberals that Beetle Bailey is offensive to them. Same with B.C. I don't have a problem with them, I like those comics.

12. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    I actually only follow one news blog, so perhaps that was not the most accurate wording on my part. And that one blog uses official news sources, linking back to everything. (It's also not really a news blog, either, the blogger posts about a variety of topics.)

The main actual site I use for news, lately, is worldmag.com.

13. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    Considering I watch movies and various video series to the point of fandom, I'd say spending a couple of minutes at most per week reading comics and maybe smile at are the least of my concerns.

It is my view that entertainment, like most things, is fine in moderation. It's a welcome break from the daily grind.
    If it becomes an idol that's when it becomes a problem.