1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

As a Christian, I defended Obamacare. But I really support single-payer.

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Sep 18, 2017.

1. FollowTheWay

FollowTheWay Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm quite aware of that. Where do you see in the Constitution that healthcare cannot be voted upon? Actually, the real definition of a Republic versus a democracy is that issues are directly voted on by all the people (a direct plebiscite) in a genuine Republic. In a Democracy, they are decided by representatives of the people.
    Subject your wants to the electorate and see what happens. America was called the great experiment. It worked well when people in good faith discussed the issues rationally. There is no rational discourse anymore. In fact Trump's people assert there are no more facts anymore, only ratings.

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You've gotten the definitions of a Republic and a Democracy exactly reversed.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, he's probably just confused again but Low is right, there is no mechanism for a national referendum in the US Constitution on the question of single-payer or anything else - even the only "national" vote you can cast in a general election only counts for your state's popular vote, that's then converted into an EV.

This same question has been put up before the citizens of Oregon:

Oregon Ballot Measure 23 (2002) - Wikipedia

and, more recently, Colorado:

ColoradoCare - Wikipedia

rejected badly, the voters can't swallow the staggering costs of these programs, and they are just estimates. It's had more success getting through state legislatures (VT, HI, CA) but same story, it's killed as soon as they see the price tag.

• Agree Agree x 1