1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Asbury College - another revival?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by qwerty, Feb 14, 2006.

1. qwerty

qwerty New Member

http://www.openheaven.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=8244&PN=1&TPN=1

REVIVAL BREAKS OUT AT ASBURY COLLEGE - Students, Faculty and Passersby Entering In

February 7, 2006

Students are fervently praying for an outpouring of Holy Spirit some up to 11 hours a day. Christian from around the world are praying for the move of God that has begun at Asbury College in Wilmore, Kentucky.

WILMORE, KY—(Feb. 7, 2006)Monday morning the student body gathered for Chapel at 10 a.m. and the student-led chapel continues. Hundreds of students, faculty and staff, and even members of the surrounding community and Asbury Theological Seminary joined the praise, worship and prayer.

Students are committing their lives to Christ for the first time and scores of others are rededicating themselves to the Lord. Jesus is at the center of it all.

Wilmore freshman Michael Spann spent a total of 11 hours in Hughes Auditorium, praying and worshiping. Spann said that he and several other students have been meeting independently since early last term to pray for the college and for the Holy Spirit to move on the campus.

Asbury House of Prayer started in the original Asbury building on campus where generations of Asbury students have waited on God. Students have gathered and signed up to pray for the college independently. Currently, students have committed to more than 40 hours of prayer each week interceding for the college community

“My brother Travis [Spann, a senior] felt strongly that something great was going to happen and yesterday God’s will just broke out. People were just yearning for God. I can’t even describe it.” Michael Spann said. “I didn’t want to leave until I felt the Lord was in me the way He needed to be.”

College President Dr. Paul Rader and his wife, Dr. Kay Rader, stayed in Hughes until after midnight. When they left, Dr. Rader said hundreds of students were still praying and praising.

“Following the morning chapel the altar was crowded with students seeking the Lord—two and three deep, with people praying in groups around the auditorium,” he described. “Throughout the day there has been a beautiful awareness of the Holiness of God. Many students took off their shoes with a sense of standing on Holy ground. God is answering the passionate and persistent prayers of committed students who have been fasting and praying for weeks for this kind of spiritual breakthrough. We are all rejoicing in it.”

Stu Smith, associate dean for campus ministries and campus chaplain, said that news of the chapel service spread throughout the surrounding areas, high schools and other local colleges. Students called friends and relatives throughout the world to have them pray for Asbury College.

“People were praying all over the world as God was moving here,” Smith said.

Spann said he even heard that people off the streets of Wilmore just heard the music and were drawn to Hughes. “People want to be transformed and that’s what attracted them to Hughes.”

The music didn’t stop. Smith said that when one group of students would tire from leading the worship another would move into their place. Nothing was coerced or planned.

Fitch’s IGA in Wilmore and others in the community sent food and water for the students who couldn’t leave.

Atlanta sophomore Hannah Helfen who spent several hours in Hughes yesterday said she didn’t want to leave either. She says that God spoke to her in a different way. Typically not very outspoken, God told her that it was OK to be open about her faith and tell other people about Him.

Sophomore Ben Greenhoe from Ada, Mich., spent most of the day in Hughes. He said, “When God moves, you have to respond. There’s nothing else you can do when you meet your Creator face to face like we did yesterday. There’s nothing else that could bring that many people together from so many different backgrounds. And the fact that it is still going on now speaks volumes.”

Lisa Harper, director of communications and Transforming (class of 2007) advisor said,
    “It was incredible to be in the midst of it all, praying with the students at the altar and witnessing the joy and sweet peace. If that’s not what we’re about here then I don’t know what we’re about.”

More: http://asbury.edu/press/chapelcontinues06

2. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

Signs and wonders. Thhe anti-christ will have a bunch of them.

3. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

It appears there are still a few 'doubting Thomas' within the fold.

Asbury has for many years been a training center for Wesleyan Methodists and Methodist pastors along with other sound denominations.

Does anyone out there have a problem with people seeking the Lord. Hebrews 11:6 says,

'. . . he or she that comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is the Rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.'

Asbury is not even a Pentecostal school and I might guess that some will have problems with this organization.

4. eloidalmanutha

eloidalmanutha New Member

some quotes from the above mentioned links:

"Students are fervently praying for an outpouring of Holy Spirit some up to 11 hours a day."

“I didn’t want to leave until I felt the Lord was in me the way He needed to be.”

“Throughout the day there has been a beautiful awareness of the Holiness of God. Many students took off their shoes with a sense of standing on Holy ground. God is answering the passionate and persistent prayers of committed students who have been fasting and praying for weeks for this kind of spiritual breakthrough. We are all rejoicing in it.”

"“People want to be transformed and that’s what attracted them to Hughes.”"

"She says that God spoke to her in a different way. Typically not very outspoken, God told her that it was OK to be open about her faith and tell other people about Him."

"“When God moves, you have to respond. There’s nothing else you can do when you meet your Creator face to face like we did yesterday. There’s nothing else that could bring that many people together from so many different backgrounds. And the fact that it is still going on now speaks volumes.”"

"“God’s will just broke out,”"

"There was incredible freedom in the Spirit as we sang and prayed and shared testimonies of God’s gracious work in the hearts of students.”"

"“Well, you may not understand this, but the only way I know how to account for this is that last Tuesday morning, about 20 of 11, the Lord Jesus walked into Hughes Auditorium, and He's been there ever since, and you've got the whole community paying tribute to His presence.”"

"And all of this begs the question: Are we on the verge of another revival of the same magnitude?"

This all reminds me of those 3-D glasses like you get at some horror show - where all the activity is SO "REAL" !!!!!!

. . . anyone want to join me on reality island? we can sit on front row chairs with a nice cool soda and watch as revival re-runs roll rapidly rabid to the tune of "Oops, I've done it again . . . and again . . . and again . . . and again . . ."

5. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Apparently some of the brethren never hear of or have experience a reviving of the soul. Here is a real opportunity for growth if you will allow Him to move in your life.

6. eloidalmanutha

this is not a case of "reviving someone's soul". it's bowing the knee to experiential massive moves of "spirit" on flesh. This is not God. It is a sign and a wonder that is an imitation of God brought on by a misunderstanding of Scripture and allowing seducing spirits to manifest themselves as if they are from God.

The quotes that I listed in my previous post are completely without merit and validity in God's Word. I think it's very sad that the church has come to this. What a dismal commentary on christianity. It's no wonder that the world thinks we are crackers.

7. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

When the apostles cast out demons I am sure it was this was unusual to the Sadduccees and to the Phariseees, but the apostles were on mission from Christ and did not do only things that were politically correct by the established relgion of the day.

Some religionists hid behind stained glass windows somewhat like the Pharisees.

8. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ray, I have several friends who were at Asbury in 1970! Funny how we can sing Revive Us Again and scoff when it comes. But we all know how emotional those holiness folks can be. ;)

9. Dave

Dave Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would encourage you to read descriptions of some of the great revivals of the 18th and 19th centuries and compare those descriptions to this one. Read the description of Pentecost in Acts. When the Spirit of God wants to move in power on a people, this is a fairly common scene.

This is not Charismatic in nature, from the description. This is not people claiming to have been "slain in the spirit", but is a description of people experiencing revival in a way that I pray we all would. It should be our prayer that such revival would sweep the country, and the world.

10. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

Unfortunately, Scripture says "remnant", not revival.

11. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

'Unfortunately, Scripture says "remnant", not revival.'

12. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

It is surprising to see Christians who do not rejoice to see revival.

:confused:

But then again if everyone "got right" there would be no one for them to look down upon and no one to judge!

13. eloidalmanutha

In the end times [now] there will be false "moves of God". Why? because people base their spirituality on experiential feelings that work up the masses to a fever pitch of hyper-sensualism and call it God. This is the flesh. This "move" is controlled by a spirit masquerading as an angel of light.

Jesus said - Blessed are those who believe and have not seen.

Matt 24:11 And many false prophets will be raised and will cause many to err.
    23 Then if anyone says to you, Behold, here is the Christ! Or, Here! Do not believe.
    24 For false christs and false prophets will rise up. And they will give great signs and wonders, so as to lead astray, if possible, even the elect.

14. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Charles Meadows I believe you got it right. I wonder if a Baptist or a Presbyterian church had this kind of renewal, would there be the same depth of complaints? My guess is this would be 'a pure as the driven snow' event in the life of the denomination.

Charles, the sad thing is probably some of these brethren really do not know how to be in touch with the living Lord of the church. Thus all the frowns on their faces . . . and nay saying.

Some people think as long as they repeat their denominational chatter, the Apostle's Creed or the Westminster Confession every Sunday, they have an edge of the rest of us Bible believing brethren.

Growing up in Christ would help them over a lot of their perceived 'bumps in the road,' and they might come to realize that God the Spirit works providentially in God's people in different ways.

15. eloidalmanutha

quotes taken from the OP link:

“Throughout the day there has been a beautiful awareness of the Holiness of God. Many students took off their shoes with a sense of standing on Holy ground."

We are the temple of the Holy Spirit. Scripture. please, that the earth is Holy ground.

"“People want to be transformed and that’s what attracted them to Hughes.”"

How are we transformed? hint: God's WORD/Holy Spirit

"She says that God spoke to her in a different way. Typically not very outspoken, God told her that it was OK to be open about her faith and tell other people about Him."

Different than the Bible?????? oops . . . go, tell, make disciples . . .

“When God moves, you have to respond. There’s nothing else you can do when you meet your Creator face to face like we did yesterday. There’s nothing else that could bring that many people together from so many different backgrounds. And the fact that it is still going on now speaks volumes.”

So God changed His mind, then - any religion, any background, Heaven is an open road - come on down!!!!!!!!!!! ......

“I didn’t want to leave until I felt the Lord was in me the way He needed to be.”

ouch . . . I won't even touch this one - it is just plain vulgar.

"the Lord Jesus walked into Hughes Auditorium, and He's been there ever since, and you've got the whole community paying tribute to His presence.”"

oops, sorry - guess we missed the rapture bus . . . :eek:

"And all of this begs the question: Are we on the verge of another revival of the same magnitude?"

My suggestion would be to run, not walk in the opposite direction . . .

16. eloidalmanutha

so . . . according to popular opinion, in order for God to be a living Spirit inside the heart of His child, one has to be driven to outward expressions of the spirit by praying for hours on end for a move of that spirit so that everyone, no matter what they believe about Jesus Christ, can all come together, hold hands, and sing hands across the water or light candles or feel all woozy oozy in the spirit and believe that this is "THE SPIRIT" cause it f e e l s SO GOOD!!!!!!

thanx, I will pass on it. God is alive and well, quite "supernaturally" to the depths of my soul, and deep in my heart - it is a miracle that I am breathing, so He gets all the glory for that every moment of my life ;)

17. Mapipe

Mapipe Member
    Site Supporter

Okay, I wasn't going to say anything, but I will put in my two cents worth. I was a Sophomore at Asbury during the last revival. I can only describe it as a very spooky experience. If anyone says that Asbury is not penecostal, then they haven't been a part of the student body. People were throwing away their crutches, talking in "different" languages and the students acted entirely different. As soon as the revival was over...everything was status quo.
    However, I did meet my husband at Asbury--actually during the revival...so that is a good thing! I'm also the girl in the book "One Devine Moment" who is praying in the stairwell. I don't remember that happening during the Revival time, so I'm not sure where that picture came from.
    I felt like the whole thing was just emotion and the student body got caught up in themselves and it just spread. It became a media circus. That's just my two cents worth. I'm sure that there were lives changed during the revival, I just didn't observe any lasting effects of it.

18. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Mapipe,

I too, went to a Wesleyan Bible College in the 60's and if anyone would have spoken in tongues in a chapel service they would have been disciplined or expelled from college. The Wesleyan Church is against tongues.

In my years at this pastoral training center I heard the creme de la creme of pastors who preached at United Wesleyan College that since then has merged with Houghton College in central New York State. I even got to hear Dr. Von Til who was a great Protestant theologian from Westminister Theological Seminary while at said college.

We had compulsory chapel service on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and they did have altar calls.

The Christian life has its high and low moments in our experience of faith as happens with all Christians. Spiritual growth does not always have lasting effects because we are to daily search the Word and continually keep our lives in the center of His will. If we do not do this we begin to cool off, if you will, in our relationship with the Lord.

I think your word, 'circus' is over the top unless you merely want the acolades of your anti-renewal friends of the board.

Personally, I am encouraged when Christians get excited about their faith. I would last about one Sunday at a dead orthodox church which simply goes through the motions of a former lively faith in Jesus. I hope the Lord sparks revivals across our sinful United States and around the world.

But I could be totally wrong on this point of my post . . .

(personal attacks edited)

[ February 16, 2006, 03:11 AM: Message edited by: DHK ]

19. eloidalmanutha

Ray,
    You are on the right track here - a good spiritual walk is based on the Word, not subject to feelings.

I think you need to reconsider your "sparks around the world" sentiments, however. The call of God is a deeply personal one, not lit up by the "fire of the Holy Spirit" as a high beam nite light in the sky. We mistake Spiritual fervor as something that must be witnessed by being on an overload of feelings.

My hope is that the realization of knowing God and walking with Him daily is not based on emotinal highs and lows. God is God. He is not an euphoric feeling. It is about maturity in the Spirit, knowing in your heart that you belong to God, love Him with all your being, strive to be submitted to Him and strive to do His will. This does not take fireworks - it is an inner striving that takes all of one's will, time, energy, and love allowing the Holy Spirit to change one's heart to be Holy as God is Holy.

A mature spiritual walk comes when we are committed to feasting on God's Word, vast time in communication with Him [not always "praying", but in silence reflecting and meditating on Him and His Word], allowing His pre-eminence in every aspect of life. This is when the fruit of the Spirit are observed by those around us. Not in the shouts and praises and falling under the power that so many want to prove their spiritual prowess.

Perhaps the dead churches are such because there is no solid meat. Church is supposed equip the saints to go into the world, not sit in pews all dried up for life. Doing God's will is a rush/momentum/grace enabled ability - regardless of pain or joy. It was not until I realized that life in God is a pure committment of love for the One Who gave me life that I understood - feelings are only an expression, not the real fruit of a deep and loving relationship with our Creator, God, King, and Messiah.

20. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

Same as azuza, same as Brownsville, a counterfit revival that will spawn another counterfit revival, etc.