1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Ash Wednesday clarification

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Thinkingstuff, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed... I like Charles Colsons "Enough Sermon"

...don't blame the liberals. Don't blame the homosexual lobby or the media.

"WE are at fault. We—collectively and individually—have chased after every idol the world has to offer. We have tried so hard to be relevant that we’ve become almost completely irrelevant. We offer no other way, there is nothing distinctive about us.

"We have not been what Jesus called us to be: Salt and light. We have blended in with the world so well that we are practically invisible...

"Enough of self-absorption.

Enough of going to church for self-validation—because it makes us feel good; enough of buying into the “Jesus and me” brand of Christianity that we evangelicals are especially susceptible to.

Enough of living exactly like our non-believing neighbors, glued to electronics, engaging in promiscuity and infidelity, spending beyond our means.

Enough of ignoring the suffering of the poor. Enough of being ashamed of the truth claims of the Gospel. It’s time to repent..."

2. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Indeed... I cannot escape the FACT that one day every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus is LORD. That is whether they are kicking and screaming or not. That is whether they will otherwise or not.

Every person WILL stand before God at least once -- and how much better that when that day comes that we have already prepared for it and are not only willing, but have placed out ears against the door frame and had them pierced by our Master, as we are his slaves, willing and joyful in our slavery!

3. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Ideally, yes. But we humans being somewhat frail (and speaking in particular for myself), it does help to have a season when we particularly concentrate on this. It also seems to be in accordance with the design of our Maker, in that it is well-established that it takes about 6 weeks to make or break a habit (good or bad); my approach to Lent therefore is that the spiritual practices in which I engage for this season to improve my walk with the Lord and with others will remain with me beyond Easter as ingrained good habits.

4. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Indeed, God is the creator of festival and contrition seasons.

5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reformed Baptist Fellowship "Lent and the Sufficient Work of Christ"