1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Ash Wednesday

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Those of us who follow the 'Daily Office' find it to be a 'wonderful teaching aid for growing in the faith' as well. Your Book of Common Prayer has a lectionary for those who pray using the 'Daily Office'. I think the BCP is one of the 'gems' of your church.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Frankly I have moved away from church liturgical calendar's, rosaries, Holy Days of obligations, St Blaise Blessings of the Throat, Saints feast days, Lenten fasts, high masses, confessional boxes, holy water sprinkling, 1st Fridays, May songs honoring Mary, Rote Prayer, Palm Crosses, Saints feast days, sacrificial masses, Purgatory, Masses for the dead, Infant Baptisms, Grotto's, scapulars, Sacraments, Extreme Unction.....all are apostate & unnecessary.

3. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

You just might be painting with too broad a brush, but...okay. :smilewinkgrin:

4. Doubting Thomas

Indeed. :thumbs:

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More to the point....I know longer use the same brand of paint altogether!:laugh:

6. Doubting Thomas

Gotcha...good one!

7. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    ... says the self-appointed Judge of all ...

8. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here you have it, another of those weak and beggarly first principle nogods superstitiously adored, worship, hung on to for the salvation of one's soul.

The Roman Catholic "Paschal Mystery" is blasphemous idolatry. Catholicism has not changed one bit; it still and more than ever is just what the Reformers used to call it, the anti-Christ!

9. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Most probably yes, since them Jewish bigots not from recently just loved to worship them strangers' nogods, especially lord Sun, just like they.

10. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:

Most valuable statement! Proof black on white of the Roman Catholic substitutionary dogma. 'Ash Wednesday' --- THAT IS WHAT HAPPENED WITH CHRIST'S 'BONE-DAY' !!!

Thank you for the information and revealing of another papal atrocity.

11. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "BONE-DAY"

... knew of 'bone-yard' where American planes of war are 'stationed' and 'inventoried' in the desert somewhere ... ?

#31 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2013
  12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats what I thought.... why is it referred to as a mystery? was it not foretold?

#32 Earth Wind and Fire, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2013
  13. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am sure TS could answer this much better than yours truly. I'm still learning these terms. The paschal mystery... HOW could Jesus die and rise again? What effect did each part of this action have? Why? What is His ascension? To where? How long? on and on.

I believe it is a mystery in the same way that the Trinity is a mystery. Mysteries are subject to meditation and deep intellect. You're SUPPOSED to think about them and try to understand them. They're called mysteries because they are questions which ultimately cannot be answered in the long run, so they provide endless tract of ground to meditate on the spiritual meaning behind them. Sure we can give analogies and so on, but no one can fully explain it.

You can spend thousands and millions of words pulling out more and more of it and still not fully plumb the depths or even getting your metaphorical arms around it.
    Thats my feeble attempt to explain it. The Christian walk is often shrouded in fog, at least as far as what's in the distance, but moment by moment, when I think with God's mind and not my own and meditate on His word, the path is clear.

#33 Walter, Feb 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2013
  14. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Shucks, that's deep!

15. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Certainly my faith and belief has developed as I have read deeper and had to work through what I thought on particular issues in the Catechism. Some of them are still developing such as what I think of the massacre passages in the OT. Fortunately I am not a pastor and called on to guide others.

16. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Could you please explain how the Paschal Mystery' is 'blasphemous idolatry'?

Any tradition, handed down or which has evolved in the Church which my be "beyond" what is written will never conflict or go against what is written, at least *not* in the Church Jesus Himself founded or He'd be a liar as would the Holy Spirit . The Church is an 'organism' however, and grows and evolves over the years, but never goes against the word of God as is *written.* Most Baptists and non-denoms have their own 'traditions' that they 'cling to' but most of the individual congregants never would admit that they do or see it that way. Collecting a tithe/offering at the same time during a service and singing praise songs for 45 minutes before the sermon which usually starts at the same time at every service and then the preaching for 45 minutes to an hour of that sermon, at every service, is "beyond" what is written. If fact the word "trinity" is going *beyond what is written* as that word cannot even be found in scripture, yet we Christians believe in the Holy Trinity, God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.

#36 Walter, Feb 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2013
  17. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

It is certainly a Holy day of Obligation in the Liturgical Calendar. Lent is the lead up to the most important part of Christ's misson on earth.

Holy Week, the week prior to Easter which starts on Palm Sunday recalls His Passion in detail.....the Gospels of His Passion are central to this.

There is a LOT of ritual leading up to Easter, which as a Catholic I attend as many as I can, these can be very long, but it is ALL about remembering and meditating on each and every aspect of His Passion.

18. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    While all Catholics are encouraged to attend Mass (or at least attend a service where ashes are imposed) on Ash Wednesday in order to begin the Lenten season with the proper attitude and reflection, Ash Wednesday is not a Holy Day of Obligation. It is, however, a day of fasting and abstinence. Catholics have an obligation in that sense.

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.baptistboard.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1949591
    http://www.baptistboard.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1949591

20. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian