1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Ashamed of being a Baptist

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Oct 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Im coming into this conversation late in the game so I havent read the entire thread, but may I ask you Ann....why would you operate a Baptist church without using the Baptist name?

2. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    EXACTLY!! :applause:

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would say that there are churches that teach and act as a baptist church does, without being baptist in fact!

And again, far more important is what goes on inside the building than what is labeled on the outside!

4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

If I go to another city I will know long before hand which churches I will visit rather than look in the phone book. I believe that churches are listed by denomination in the phone book, and a church may choose which listing to be under, so all you have to do is look under "Baptist Churches" and you will find one.

Not all Catholic churches have Catholic in the name, nor do all Methodists, Presbyterians, etc. and ad nauseum. Such silliness!!!!

5. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, but how do you know that? The NAME ON THE DOOR lets me know BEFORE I go in.

Why don't we just have everyone just put the word "CHURCH" on their signs? Then we can waste a lot of time trying to figure out what they believe.

Truthfully, this is the most ridiculous thread I've ever seen. Discussing removing the word "Baptist" from the name of your church ON A BAPTIST ONLY FORUM!!!! :BangHead:

If you're truly so ashamed of being called a Baptist, perhaps you shouldn't be here.

I'm sure I've stepped on some toes, so I apologize for that, but I don't apologize for my opinion.

#85 Baptist4life, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2012
  6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Come into my town and you won't find a church with "Baptist" in it's name.

I've learned through the years that you don't judge by the name on the door when it comes to Biblical churches. I've seen "Baptist" churches in name - but they are far from standing on the Word of God. I've seen other churches without the name "Baptist" in them that were amazing, Bible teaching churches. It is too simplistic to say that one must have this name in order to know what it believes. If I want to know what a church believes, it's an easy phone call or a peek at their website and I will know all I need to know.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

8. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then, IMHO, you don't have ANY Baptist churches in your town, your church included.

I'm done.

#88 Baptist4life, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2012
  9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Again, I've walked into Baptist churches that are not that. Yes, their name is "Baptist" but they do not follow the Scriptures in their faith and practices. 3 times on vacation we have walked into a Baptist church and walked out before the end of the service because it was unbiblical. So now instead, we do what's called "investigating". Yep, we take 10 minutes to look online at churches in the area and have consistently found that the churches that DON'T have "Baptist" in the name, yet post on their statement of beliefs a baptistic faith, these turn out to be great churches.

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Oh? So the incorporated name doesn't matter? We do not have the incorporated name on the sign - does that mean that we are not legally a Baptist church?

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Was Spurgeons Metropolitan Tabernacle a Baptist Church?

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The ONLY thing that God will care about in the end is IF we are faithful and npt ashemed of being tagged a Christian!

As our ONLY required alliangence is to the Lord Jesus, regardless of the label on our church buildings!

13. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I think these comments get at the heart of why some churches might consider NOT having baptist on their sign...

...How many LOST, UNCHURCHED people would have the knowledge of churches differing beliefs that you have?

If the churches goal is not to attract primarily "people who are looking for a baptist church," but those who don't know one church from another...for these people the Baptist name either: (a) means nothing at all or (b) means something negative.

If the primary goal was to make it as easy as possible for those who are already Chrsitians to find the church that most closely matched their upbringing...then I would agree with you...but I think that goal is not one of the highest priorities.

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    isn't he still considered as one of the greatest baptists in all of history?

the "prince of preachers?"

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yep - and his Baptist church didn't have the name Baptist in it. :)

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I only ask because I was involved in a church meeting where a Baptist Pastor was going around at the time promoting church name changes....our Church at the Time had a "Congregational" name & this guy used the Baptist scenario that they were omitting the word Baptist or changing the full name of churches to NOT reflect Baptist logo. The excuse was to attract Roman Catholics....RC's I was told are afraid of the Baptist Name so path of least resistance dictated ditching the name. Years later I visited this guys church & not only did they ditch the name but distinctives suffered. Now it is merely a gathering center.

17. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

It is ridiculous only because people have lifted the name "Baptist" up to lofty and ridiculous heights. I am not ashamed to be a Baptist, but I AM ashamed of how many Baptists act, even (or perhaps ESPECIALLY) here on the BB.

The Devil must rejoice and God must weep when they see threads like this and the KJVO threads.

18. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I doubt the name change had anything to do with it. There are hundreds of, if not thousands of "Baptist" churches with the word "Baptist" on the sign that are no more "Baptist" than Hugh Hefner.

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If it wasn't for the circumstances, we would have stayed with the old name but having a "City" Baptist Church in another city seems kind of weird. LOL

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reading thru this thread, is it just me, or does this seem a lot like when catholics claim to be the "Only true church?"

Thought God knows us as Christians first, not baptists!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.