1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ashamed of The Gospel?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Martin, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is the second post that I have made recently linking to the Sacred Sandwich website. I have the link in my bookmarks and read from time to time. Today I have found several great articles (etc) on the site. This article (below) is about a year old, however it's message is just as important today as it was one year ago. For those of you who don't know part of the website is making fun of the modern evangelical church. Other parts of the website are quite serious. The article I am linking to below is very serious. It is about defending the Gospel.

The Apostle Paul said:

"For I am not ashamed of the Gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes," Romans 1:16

Sadly it seems that many modern "Christian leaders" are very much ashamed of the Gospel. O, they bravely proclaim salvation in Christ alone when among Christians. However when they are among the spiritually dead (ie...the lost) who maybe hostile to such a message they quickly water down the Gospel message. I have seen it myself on Larry King several times with several "Christian leaders".

That is what this article is about. "Christian leaders" compromising the Gospel of Jesus Christ on the Larry King Show.

http://www.sacredsandwich.com/bohemianlarryking.htm

There is no excuse for such compromise, none. What did Paul say? The Gospel is the "power of God for salvation". How can a Christian be ashamed of such a message? We are talking about the power of God at work to bring about the salvation of men's souls through Jesus Christ. That is one message that should never, never, never be compromised.

2. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

John McArthur has a book titled "Ashamed of the Gospel". Great expose of pop preaching.

3. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

One of the most beautiful hymns ever written:

1. Jesus and shall it ever be
    A mortal man ashamed of Thee?
    Ashamed of Thee, whom angels praise,
    Whose glories shine through endless days?

2. Ashamed of Jesus? Sooner far
    Let evening blush to own a star.
    He sheds the beams of light divine
    O'er this benighted soul of mine.

By Joseph Grigg 1720-1768
    3. Ashamed of Jesus? Just as soon
    Let midnight be ashamed of noon.
    'Tis midnight with my soul till He,
    Bright Morning Star, bids darkness flee.

4. Ashamed of Jesus, that dear Friend
    On whom my hopes of heaven depend?
    No; when I blush, be this my shame,
    That I no more revere His name.

5. Ashamed of Jesus? Yes, I may
    When I'v no guilt to wash away,
    No tear to wipe, no joy to crave,
    No fears to quell, no soul to save.

6. Till then--nor is the boasting vain--
    Till then I boast a Savior slain.
    And oh, may this my portion be,
    That Christ is not ashamed of me!

Chorus added later:

Ashamed of Jesus?
    I never, I never, will be
    For Jesus my Savior
    Is not ashamed of me.

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Yes indeed. I love MacArthur's writings! There is a man who I have never, not even one time, seen compromise the Gospel! :applause:

5. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Ditto! JMac has also handled himself well on Larry King. He stood on the truth of Scripture several times though it was the unpopular thing to do.

6. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

What matters is not what Warren or Osteen do or say, although I'm not very supportive of either one, but what WE do with the gospel.

Mat 10:33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

Of course preachers, teachers and leaders are more accountable but we ourselves also fall under this warning. Why isn't Peter damned to Hell? Because he repented and became a bulwark for the Lord.

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Agreed, my ordination papers read, "set to defend the Gospel". I take that charge serious and believe we must defend the Gospel no matter the personal consequence to ourselves.