1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Assault Weapons Ban?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by DeclareHim, Sep 11, 2004.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, they do, DD. And you can say that they don't from now until Doomsday and that won't change the fact that they do, DD.

So which is it, DD? Do you believe in God and that we have rights that He gives us or are you an atheist and you believe that rights come only from nature and/or can only be granted or taken away by government? I must say that so far you are sounding like you agree with the atheistic position.

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you read, DD? The U.S. constitution says otherwise. Again, I will post the relevant amendment for you -

Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

3. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Ken, is marriage a right or a priviledge? If you say it is a right, then a person has the "right" to die for that belief.

Using your silly logic though, to say it is a priviledge is an atheistic idea. Get a clue.

God gave us the right to defend ourselves. He NEVER said it was to be done with a gun. Get it? God gave the general right to defend oneself. The governments have been given such authority to approve/disapprove of what kind of weapon. I am trying to type slowly for you.

4. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Ken, I am talking about rights from the Bible, not your bible, the constitution.

America gives all kinds of rights that violates God's standard and it also goes against many of the good things God has said. The constitution may be your authority for life, but it isn't mine. You keep appealing to the constitution as though God wrote it.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is definitely a right. Again, the U.S. constitution is very clear on this -

Amendment IX

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Did your schooling not teach you about the U.S. constitution, DD? I guess the schools in your "middle earth" are not all they are cracked up to be, eh?

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am, also. Our unalienable rights come from God, not the U.S. constitution. But you really, really, really need to read the U.S. constitution. I am amazed you have never read it all the way through, apparently.

7. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Sigh. Please point out FROM SCRIPTURE (that would be the Bible Ken) where guns and marriage are unalienable RIGHTS.

This oughta be good.

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, DD, you sit down and read the U.S constitution[this oughta be good (SNICKER SNICKER)] Then ask your question and I will answer.

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    On second thought, I'll go ahead and swat these out of the old ball park.

Marriage:

Genesis 2:24 (ESV)
    Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.

Matthew 19:4-6 (ESV)
    He answered, "Have you not read that he who created them from the beginning made them male and female, [5] and said, 'Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh'? [6] So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate."

Guns:

Exodus 20:15 (ESV)
    "You shall not steal.

Guns are a person's property. No one, not even a government, has the power to take a person's gun away - unless that person has committed a crime with it.

Now, DD, I still expect you to read the U.S. constitution - all of it.

10. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

I posted a pretty good article, I thought. But it requires a little reading and some reasoning.

11. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Pastor Larry
    So are the commentaries that you say all agree constructed by the finite mind of fallen man or were these men of a fallen finite mind given divine revelation from God to act as spiritual guides for the rest of we men of a fallen finite mind?

So far I have found no evidence in scripture to support that they were given divine guidance. If there is I would be greatful if you would share that scripture with us so we can consider it further. I may have missed it in my own bible study, but I have never seen Matthew Henry or Scofield mentioned by any of the prophets, or in any of Christ's words.

12. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Ken, perhaps you just don't understand the question.

Let us recap:

1. God okays self defense
    2. God says marriage is good
    3. God has given governments the right to rule

Okay. These are all basic facts.

I have asked Ken to show where the Bible states that GUNS and MARRIAGE are a RIGHT.

The argument that marriage is a right in the mind of Ken is that God has joined two people together.

Well, um, that isn't a right Ken. All that says is that God joins two people together. Nice try. Actually, that was a pathetic try.

Has anyone ever read a commentary or heard a sermon on those verses and then read/heard the person state that this was a biblical right? I didn't think so. Ken, come back from shadow. Come into the light. You remind be of Theoden prior to Gandalf's visit.

Next, your snicker, snicker, argument that guns are a right is that stealing is wrong. Wow. I guess you could also "possess" a stinger missile launcher. Is that a right? How about a tank or an F-4 Phantom from Vietnam? I am sure you could "possess" alot of things from the black market Ken. According to you, big brother can't take them away. Good news for drug pushers, Ken and Michelle Peroutka can solve your little problems with the government. He he.

I thought you would at least be serious.
    ___

I asked for biblical support, you failed, whined about how many times I have read the constitution, and embarrassed yourself. Time to back down with your ridiculous ideas Ken.

You confuse a priviledge with a right.

13. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

This is only part of what the Scripture says concerning government.

Rom 13:1-4
    1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.
    2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.
    3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:
    4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good . But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.
    (KJV)

Notice that government has the responsibility to be a terror to evil, not to good. So, when a government is a terror to the good they cease to be functioning under the direction of God and are now a tyrannical government.

14. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Agreed. If they fail, they will be judged. We are responsible to obey whether they are good or tyrannical.

15. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Only a fool would believe something so foolish.

16. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

It looks like you and Adolf Hitler have the same understanding and interpretation of Romans 13. :(

17. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Netpub, once again you fail to recon with Scripture.

Paul and Peter both say to submit to rulers, even evil ones. Remember, Christ's kingdom is not of this world, or else his servants would fight.

I thought the constitution party was the biblical party. Its proponents don't even know the Bible. Classic.

18. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Only a fool would believe something so foolish. </font>[/QUOTE]Terry, I am sorry you think Peter was a fool:

1 Peter 2
    18 Servants, be submissive to your masters with all fear, not only to the good and gentle, but also to the harsh.

You can't miss the context either. Christ is used as an example of one who suffered at the hands of WICKED men.

19. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

I guess it's just a matter of interpretation, you and Adolph Hitler interpret it one way, while many others interpret it another.