1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ASV 1901 in print? I got one.

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Jkdbuck76, May 22, 2015.

1. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I've been cancer-free for a year now. To celebrate, my lovely wife bought me the ASV published by Prolific Industries out of Michigan. Sure, the ASV is available for free online but I love real books. It is a republishing of the Standard American Edition of the Revised Version by Thomas Nelson & Sons 1901.

This is a hardback. THREE inches thick and has very thick paper. Sewn. Center column references and margin notes.
    Nice book.

It reads similar to the KJV. I pretty much stick to KJV, but will be glad to read this ASV. I believe its underlying NT text is Westcott Hort, but I could be wrong.

Any thoughts? Thank you.

2. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

On the cancer-free year-- Praise the Lord! On the gift-- nice gesture by your wife!

I also prefer books that I can actually hold, feel the cover, and flip the paper.

Sounds very nice. Bet its got a good size typeface, too.

No, you're not wrong. The ASV is an Americanized version of the ERV (English Revised Version New Testament 1881, often just RV), which was based on the new WH text.

I own the ASV in the format of The Student's Chronological New Testament.

3. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, you got the father to the NASB! Interesting translation. Uses the word Jehovah a lot. I don't know of any huge issues. Obviously the English is dated, but if you like it congrats! I would like to have one, just to have it. If anything, just to have an older English translation to reference too. Your a fan of the KJV, so you will probably have no issue with the language.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The ASV was based on W&H (1881) and Trgelles (1857).

The ERV was based on Edwin Palmer's Greek New Testament which was very much like the text of W&H.

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the same time period as the ASV, the Twentieth Century New Testament (final edition 1904) needs to be considered. It was written in the vernacular of early 20th century Americans. I think it can be favorably compared with the ASV.

6. beameup

beameup Member

I had a large ASV in 1963. Mine was the basis for the NASV. Really wide margins to write in.

7. Jkdbuck76

Site Supporter

Interesting. It says the ASV committee wanted to use JEHOVAH for the Divine Name in an effort to move away from the Jewish superstition of NOT using it.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

8. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What the???

What is a NASV? You have to be some kind of KJV guy that would call it that.

New American Standard BIBLE!!!

9. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

It seems that Palmer's edited Greek text came out after the RV, so that in fact, his Greek justifies the English RV text.

10. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  11. Jkdbuck76

Site Supporter

Thanks for the input, everyone. I'm not trying to start ASV-onlyism or anything LOL

I enjoy reading it for sure. I'm still awestruck by the super-thick paper and the heft of the book....BUILT LIKE A SHERMAN TANK! Anyway, you all might want to check it out on Amazon, which seems to be the only way Prolific sells it.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

#11 Jkdbuck76, May 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2015