1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

At odds about Christmas

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Onlybygrace, Nov 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DixieBoy

DixieBoy New Member

Trees and flowers can be used in the worship of God. The Temple was full of such things craved into the walls and doors. Nothing wrong with them at all, IMHO. Christmas trees are seasonal decoration. No one worships them that I know of. They are packed down or thrown out for the trash man to pick up.

Sun and Morning Star are also names of Christ.

Mal 4:2 But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.

Rev 22:16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

Anyhoo, my two cents.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

And?? I have a ficus tree in my living room right now with lights on it. Is that wrong too?

Actually, it was not a tree. Note that they carved it. It was more like a totem pole, I'm sure.

3. DixieBoy

DixieBoy New Member

Christ was at the Temple for Hanukkah. It was a man made holiday.

Joh 10:22 And it was at Jerusalem the feast of the dedication, and it was winter.

Purim was set aside as a time of joy and feasting and giving gifts.

Est 9:19 This is why Jews who live in small towns observe the fourteenth day of the month of Adar as a joyous holiday, a time for feasting and giving gifts of food to one another.

Nothing seems to be wrong with setting aside a holiday.

4. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

I didn't expand it at all. Look it up. This definition has been alive and in common usage for centuries.

It is also inaccurate to label Baptists as non-liturgical. The majority, of course, are, but that has not always and in every instance correct. There are many Baptists that are liturgical in worship and in observance. I have been at times in my life.

Additionally, the way most corporate worship services are with prescribed form, many could be considered liturgical in a way.

I'm not making this stuff up, dude. Just reporting.

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbs::thumbs:

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

And God does not condemn that.

7. DixieBoy

DixieBoy New Member

This is only presented to shed a different light on Christmas. Could it be?

8. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, how evil Paul must have been for "converting" the Athenian altar "to the unknown god" to worship of the true God.

9. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are right again. Most of them today are molded. :tongue3:

10. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lets play around. I will not use total verses for space sake not for context sake. I hope.

Lev. 23:4 These [are] the feasts of the LORD, [even] holy convocations, which ye shall proclaim in their seasons. Part of Col.2:16,17 Let no man therefore judge you, in respect of an holy day, Which are a shadow of things to come.

Honest question for I know no Greek. Is this saying that at the time of the writing of Col.that they still are or is it saying, Which were.

1 Kings 12:32 pt. And Jeroboam ordained a feast in the eighth month, on the fifteenth day of the month, like unto the feast that [is] in Judah
    Hosea 2:11 I will also cause all her mirth to cease, her feast days, her new moons, and her sabbaths, and all her solemn feasts.

Under which of these holy day feast would you say Christmas and Easter fall?

11. DixieBoy

DixieBoy New Member

IMO, neither. Jeroboam changed the timing of the Holy Days. He tried to set up a replica of the temple too. Christmas or Easter are not a replica or replacement of Holy Days.

12. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you thing her feast days were the same as the feast of the LORD?

13. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes, I know for a fact Ficuses are evil. I had a roommate who irritatingly woke up early every morning to sing praises and spray the ficus waking me up with "this is the day that the Lord has made". Don't you see how insidiously evil that was? I blame it on the ficus. Evil. Wrapped in a package seemingly good like an angle of light but deep down inside insidiously evil. Dastardly really.

14. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Liturgy, and I know for a fact, means a duty or work of the people.
    I didn't say you expanded the definition but the use of liturgical "work" to a calander. Which by the way the CATHOLICS do. And by association it evil and corrupt. Look at the other Heathen faith of Orthodoxy and Copts they also have a liturgical Calander. Look at the extremely liberal Lutheran and Anglican churches they also have a works Calander. Its EVIL.
    To be honest there are just about any many different baptist as there are denominations in the world. However, saved baptist understand they don't have to do a community work to be saved. And they know this because of Roman 4

Ahhhhhhhh! Close your ears! Heresy!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhh!

Yeah I watch tv report the evils of the world to.

15. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    God condemns all works to attain salvation. and a works calander is no difference! thats another gospel.

16. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    He didn't converted it. He used it as an explanation of the tendency of man to by reason acknowledge God but not understand who he is. thus the Unkown God reached by Greek reasoning could very well be Elohim. Or Ha Shem or YWHW. Whatever.

17. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    that refers to specific Jewish Holidays that are fulfilled in Christianity like the pascha. Not pagan ones like Sol Invictus.

Jewish Holidays again.

And?

Easter is actually a jewish Holiday of Passover so the Paschal celebration can easily be a christian one. Now Christimas is related to Sol Invictus or Mythras thus it is not Jewish. If you attempt to related Christmas to Hannukah then we have a problem. As you know the accepted text that are canon or the word of God are the 39 books of the OT. There is a 400 - 500 year period of Silence after Ezra and Nehimiah return and re-establish the law. Hannukah is related to an insident found only in the book of Maccabees where the oil for the temple candles lasted an amazing 8 days. However the books of Maccabees are Apochrypha or hidden books not meant to be inscripture and read as inspired thus in order to celebrate Christmas not only are you marrying christianity to a dark mystery religion of Mythras but adding to the bible something that purposely set apart from the faith.
    Thus insidiously Christmas is even more evil because it not only encourages pagan worship. And note how both buddha and Santa are fat men that give gifts. Also wears the red of the Bishop of Smyrna which supports Catholic hiarchy and leadership and also has a long beard hidding his face alluding to the Orthodox priesthood. but it encourages reading text like the approcrypha which can lead you astray in your faith and add scripture to the bible. So this holiday is inscidiously evil. JUST EVIL AHHHHH! RUN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

:thumbs: ......

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If we were looking to Christmas or the liturgical calendar for salvation, I'd totally agree with you. Personally, I'm not into the liturgical calendar but I certainly love Christmas. It's got nothing to do with my salvation other than me celebrating the coming of the Messiah for my sins. If I don't celebrate it I'm not getting to heaven any faster than if I do.

20. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

To pervert the meaning in this way is petty and pretty strange.

Hmmm...so since many of these churches have crosses, we should get rid of those. Or a chancel...no more chancels, just concrete walls. And since they observe communion, we need to stop that heathen practice as well.

The liturgical calendar, I will say again, is about participation with Christ in the important works of salvation history. It places Christ in His rightful place as the center of Christian worship.

To be honest, your theology reeks of paranoia and theological arrogance. The very fact that there are faithful evangelicals who come to a different conclusion cannot possibly sit well with you, since there is only one way and you know exactly what that one way is.

Saved? Saved? ("Saved" is an eschatological term, by the way, not a blanket term for justification.) So now I'm not saved because I choose to remember and participate in Christ's salvific works throughout the year?

You completely misunderstand this issue. You need to do some graduate level reading in church history and theology. I can recommend some great texts if you wish.

Wow, Mr. Drama Queen - you're labeling a whole lot of evangelical Christians, even very conservative ones, as heretics.

Do I sound like Tom Brokaw?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.