1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

At odds about Christmas

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Onlybygrace, Nov 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Stay away from the celebration of Sol invictus if you value your soul.

2. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I did not pervert the meaning of this word liturgy. Note I think I have a lot more historical training than you suppose. However, having been raised catholic and currently in discussions with my very educated catholic family it is clear that liturgy is understood by those participating in it as
    So it is understood as a work of the people. You can't lay that one on me.

Certainly Oliver Cromwell would say so. Which we know that Puritans are part of our American Baptist spiritual heritage.

CATHOLIC HERESY!!!!! Its a work. It operates as a works which leads to salvation in the understanding of the churches that participate in it.

YES this is true. I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT THAT ONE WAY IS. I'm glad you've come to that understanding.

Oh now I'm a dumb bumpkin. Ye'ah sir I's a be not edjumicated 'nough for you? I'm intelligent to understand that if you hold that salvation is not a blanket term for Justification you believe in progressive justification. Which for the most part is not baptist. (again I must indicate that this is a general statement because there are basptist of all sorts despite what many here believe) Because to constantly becoming justified means works are important for salvation. Justification then expands the view of Salvation of being more than a point an time event but an event to include future justification thus saying "I have been saved", "I am being saved", "I will be saved". Many here would be at issue with this perspective believe me I know. How I know you might be interested to find out.

You may be suprised that I might be familiar with your texts. I may not be but either way you can always recommend them and I will look at them.

Excuse me. I am a male of the human species. I do not dress in drag nor have an effeminant manner by which I conduct myself. I would gladly ask you remove your "Queen" remark

YES, why yes you do.

3. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

You guys and gals will analyze stuff to DEATH. Meanwhile, you miss a couple of HUGE biblical points: 1) That Satan is called "the accuser of the brethren; 2) That God calls us to build and edify relationships, not tear them and each other down; and 3) That God is the God of feasts and festivals and that HE send the Angels down to celebrate the Birth of Christ with what we now call a Christmas party, HE told us about the giving of gifts via the wise men from the East, and HE caused all those who know all this stuff to worship all the more, for HIS glory.

I'm going out Christmas shopping and preparing to love on some folks. :thumbs:

I'll also be planning on decorating my home with lights, putting up the (fake) Christmas tree, prominently displayed in my large front window, and inviting all my neighbors over for hot spiced cider, cookies, and fellowship. Along the way, I may get to explain the real meaning of the Christmas story, and someone might come to know the Lord. May it be so!

Merry Christmas everyone (if even a bit early...) :thumbs:

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well said Brother.:thumbsup:

5. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

It's obvious that you have some or at least have a healthy appetite for study, otherwise you wouldn't have even approached this issue. For that, I give you credit.

But I wouldn't take a bunch of Catholics' word for this issue. This may be how they understand it, since Catholics have a very different doctrine of justification.

So catholics view this as ex opere operato? Or is it that it's an act that leads one to being sanctified?

Wow...progressive justification? I'm very solidly evangelical. I don't believe in any such thing. Justification is once for all. But Paul's use of the word "saved" is very much in an eschatological sense, with it's culmination on the renewed earth.

It's a figure of speech, dude.

YES, why yes you do.[/QUOTE]

6. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Do I also get extra credit?

Believe me I know.

In a sense yes.

So you believe in salvation as an end game thing - "I will be saved" so you've expanded Salvation and kept justification at a one point in time event?

irrelevant I don't like the term "Queen" applied to myself. You may call me a drama king but not queen.

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Permission is not usually sought nor required when characterizing another's behavior.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If he called you a gay blade, would you accept that?:smilewinkgrin:

9. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    again irrelevant.

10. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Definately, have issues with it. Another term that I find distastefull is "Mr. Happy" don't like it.

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No worries since I don't even know what that is.

Besides, my soul is sealed in Jesus Christ. No need to worry.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think it's when you step on a sharp toy in the middle of the night...

13. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I will quote the KTSB (King Thinkgstuff bible)
    It might be in the book of Hezikiah with the parenthesis.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Inappropriate comment removed

#74 Earth Wind and Fire, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2010
  15. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Crude, inappropriate and just not up to BB standards. Went back a few pages and found more and more. Enough.

Am closing this and asking for some basic Christian decency, folks. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.