1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Atrocities of John Calvin

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by plain_n_simple, Jan 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Sources abound. This is a timeline of Calvin's life which all should read.
    In this part of his life Calvin gives reasons why he persecuted others:
    http://www.a-voice.org/tidbits/calvinp.htm
    IF he was a Christian, this cannot be defended.

2. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Whoever wrote this put WAY too much effort into being wrong.

3. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

That's what I was thinking. I'm 99% sure i've seen the EXACT same writing here before and elsewhere.

Good find. :thumbs:

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh, I also said he may have just forgotten to put the link with it. That can happen to anyone. Very few of us have not been guilty of forgetting that at one time or another.

5. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Yep. That's why I said good find when you found the source. I wasn't accusing him of intentionally plagiarizing. I was just saying I'm pretty sure I've previously read exactly what he posted.

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gotchya..............

7. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Personally, the way most here view Calvinism only takes in a very small portion John Calvin's system. Most here limit their Calivinism to the Doctrines of Grace as put forth in the Canons of Dort. However, this leaves aside the Reformed Church's other confessions (Heidelberg, Belgic, ect.). These confessions flesh out the Reformed positions

• on the unity of church and state (sacralism) and
    • infant baptism
    I avoid the descriptive not so much because of its Continental and British proponents, in particular the English Puritans and Separtist Baptists (Gill, Carey, Spurgeon, et al.). My avoidance come out of the American Baptist experience with the Puritan rulers of Massachusettes Bay Colony (e.g. the Obadiah Holmes case). In the Holmes case, he was whipt by the colony's civil authority for holding a prayer meeting while visiting a sick friend. Govenor Winthorp wanted him hanged for opposing infant baptism.

For the most part, bringing up John Calvin's 16th century sacralism is a rabbit trail. Thus not really of any impact.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The main thrust of the Arminian/Calvinistic forum should be on soteriology. It has nothing to do with the life of John Calvin. But some here are adept at bunny trails.

Yet for those who want to discover the truth about the life of Calvin they need to see my thread of the past :Lies About John Calvin Refuted.

There folks will find out that Calvin was not the dictator of Geneva. He never ruled it. Calvin wielded no theocratic regime.

It is there that people will come to grips with the fact that Calvin was not a member of any of the three Councils of Geneva. He was with the Consistory --and that "could only use the spiritual sword, and had nothing to do with civil and temporal punishment, which belonged exclusively to the Council." (Schaff)

"Research of the archives of Geneva has revealed that Calvin definitely did not have the decisive power in this city." (Herman Selderhuis)

In that thread I have documented abundant scholarly research by well-respected historians aside from the previous just mentioned.

For instance, I cited quotes from Hall, Cunningham, Packer, Doumergue, Benoit, Wendel, McGrath, Cottret, Vollmer, Muller, Furguson, Walker, Warfild, Cadier, Scott, Walter, Froese, Gordon and Larson among others.

Nearly two dozen competent authorities were cited. Read their citations.

The author of the OP and his supporters are not trustworthy when it comes to the subject of the life of John Calvin.

9. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

"The main thrust of the Arminian/Calvinistic forum should be on soteriology. It has nothing to do with the life of John Calvin."

You cannot separate the man's life from his teaching, especially a subject so important as salvation.

Did he live it?

Did his teaching have any effect on his own life?

Did Calvin's life reflect scripture?

Does the bible itself tell us to look at a teachers life?

Should a teacher be a good example?

Will you allow an alcoholic doctor to operate on you?

Is it okay to read and accept the teachings and philosophy of Charles Manson, ignoring his history?

Maybe a simple way to put it: Can you judge an auto mechanics skills by the way his own car runs?

I guarantee these things are standards you hold other people to in every other aspect of your life BUT this one.

Funny because when the shoe is on the other foot, many here are the first to examine a man's character and background( Dr. Carl Peterson/http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=97484) but ignore Lord Calvin's track record.

Well okay, let's do that.

Proverbs 6

16 These six things doth the Lord hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:

17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,...

SEVEN YEARS he tracked Servetus.

Was Calvin righteous in putting Servetus to death because Servetus was guilty?

Was Calvin righteous in putting Servetus to death because Servetus was innocent?

And you speak about trustworthy?

Okay, I will examine the link you gave and the authors you recommend, maybe another thread is required for that.

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just a warning Rippon is rabid about defending John Calvin.

11. plain_n_simple

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea so long as it is called Calvinism and the people are called Calvinists it will be forever tied to John Calvin. There is no changing that.

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Here is what Schaff really said:
    Philip Schaff, History of the Christian Church (New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons, 1910; Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, reprint 1959), Schaff, History, 8:357.

Obviously Schaff considered Calvin as the dictator, the autocrat of Geneva.

14. plain_n_simple

Yes I just read a similar account. After reading a few old posts, it seems a few folks not only defend Calvin, they almost worship him.

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have real issues with falsehoods. John Calvin's life has been smeared with a mountain of lies for centuries. Christians are commanded not to lie. Yet DHK and others freely break the 9th commandment. It becomes especially acute when the subject turns to John Calvin.

I will indeed defend the man from Geneva from lies --just as much as I have from his worthless attacks upon Dr. Mohler.

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your statement above implies that my quote of Schaff was false. It was, in fact true.
    Obviously you don't have your head screwed on.

"It is a mistake, therefore, to call him the head of the Republic, except in a purely intellectual sense."

"But he was equally opposed to a clerical control of civil and political affairs, and confined the Church to the spiritual sword."

"The final responsibility of the condemnation, therefore, rests with the Council of Geneva...Calvin conducted the theological part of the examination of the trial, but had no direct influence upon the result."

"All impartial writers admit the purity and integrity, if not the sanctity of his character... He may may be called the Christian Elijah."

"He must be reckoned as one of the greatest and best men God raised up in the history of Christianity."

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Rippon's love for Calvin is no secret. He fails to seek objectivity in history.
    What happened when Calvin returned to Geneva in 1541?
    http://europeanhistory.boisestate.edu/reformation/reformers/calvin.shtml

18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baloney, you get all hot and bothered by two things on this board. Calvinism and the NIV. You show a pretense about falsehoods where those things are concerned but the truth is you get real insecure when anyone criticizes either of those and attack them. It has been that way since I came to this board.

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do admire him. If any Christian would look at his life and works objectively they would come to the same conclusion.
    LOL!

You are a master of twisting history. You specialize in devising lies to suit your sentiments.

You have been shown the truth about your slanders. Now please tell me how the statements of Schaff which I provided are wrong.

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On the contrary rm, I do care about the truth and I counter lies with facts. I am sincere.
    Well, both have have had tons of lies, slander and misrepresentation aimed at them. I don't take kindly to bold-faced lies. However, this thread isn't about Calvinism --though the author of the OP would wish that it might affect Calvinism.
    You have shown that you are acquainted with me since my inception on the BB. But your words in your last paragraph negate that altogether.

There is no pretense with me. I abhor lies. I especially detest professing Christians engaging in the practice. The subject under discussion if John Calvin. Is it asking too much to put away prejudice and look objectively at his life by a multitude of established scholars and historians?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.