1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Attacks on the Deity of Christ - Part I

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by icthus, Mar 19, 2005.

1. icthus

icthus New Member

PastorMHG, you wrote:

"You also see it used differently in John 3:16... "should not perish" If taken as we use the word today it seems to imply that they "might" not perish, but with a little word study we understand the strenght of the word as originally used"

The Greek here is in the "subjunctive mood", a mood that singnifies "conditionally", "should not perish", which is "conditioned" on "believing", which is in the "present tense". If John wanted to say what the NIV has, "shall not perish", then he would have used the "Indicative mood", which denotes, "absolutely"!

2. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Uh, 'scuse me Max, I'm not trying to say the KJV is not a good translation. It is, especially if you can handle the archaic English terms; but the Old Testament has nothing to do with the Received Text.

Also, unlike the NKJV, the King James NT was only partially translated from the TR and what we usually call the TR today is a "reverse engineered" Greek Text.

The following verses in the KJV came directly from the Catholic Latin Vulgate, and were NOT found in any Greek source at the time of the KJV translation:

Rev 22:16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.
    Rev 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.
    Rev 22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
    Rev 22:19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
    Rev 22:20 He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.
    Rev 22:21 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.

By the way, if that Bible on your desk is 1769, it is probably an Oxford.

How about the Geneva Bible? Is it without error? The Bible that was brought over by the pilgrams who rejected the Anglican translation of the "English modified Catholic Church"?

You also mention the 1611 is without error? I guess that would also include the Apocrypha?

3. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does someone hafta count how many times Jesus is called kurious, and indeed calls HIMSELF kurious in the New Testament? He calls His Father Lord many times, also.

Four times, the phrase, "The Lord said unto my Lord" appears in Scripture, with JESUS HIMSELF clarifying it. (Ps.110:1, Matt. 22:44, Luke 20:42, Acts 2:34)

Are not both Yahweh and Jesus "Lord" or not?

Is this not "much ado about nothing"?

4. icthus

icthus New Member

The Title "Lord" in the equivalent for the Old Testament "Yahweh" is used a number of times in the New Testament for Jesus.

Can I suggest this link

http://207.44.232.113/~bible/theology/art/mis/yhwh.htm