1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Attending Infant Baptism/Dedication

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by John Gilmore, Jun 16, 2004.

1. John Gilmore

John Gilmore New Member

Most Christians are divided between those who are against Infant Baptism and those who are against Infant Dedication (because the child should be baptized). Should relatives who are opposed to Infant Baptism attend an Infant Baptism? Should relatives who are opposed to Infant Dedication attend an Infant Dedication? Please stay on topic and avoid discussing the theology of either practice!

2. Michael52

Michael52 Member

Even if one disagreed with the practice, I think it would be very petty to not attend because of the disagreement.

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I agree, I think pettiness is a good word. Although not family we count it an honour to be invited to infant baptism by our friends. They know what we believe, but want to share the moment with us. We usually give a tiny New Testament (blue or pink) as a gift.

4. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

I am a Baptist (was raised Catholic). I no longer believe in infant baptism; however, most of my family are Catholic, so I have attended a number of infant baptisms. I am a godmother to two Catholic children and two Lutheran children. I am close to the families of these children and we do have discussions regarding our faith. We find that we all desire for these children to have a deep relationship with God, and we are all there to support the children as they grow and mature as Christians.

My husband will be baptized by immersion at our Baptist church in the near future. I have invited my Catholic parents to attend, and they have indicated that they would do so. My mother and I have had wonderful discussions about faith. Though we have many differences, we find that also we have much common ground in the way that we both try to live our lives in obedience to God. Our conversations about faith have added a very interesting dimension to our relationship that we both enjoy.

5. John Gilmore

John Gilmore New Member

I have mixed feelings. Since the Baptist Church is a Christian denomination, I must assume the child has heard and believed the gospel. So dedication is not a false ceremony. It is an outward symbol of something that has inwardly occurred. On the other hand, my presence might indicate to the parents that I view dedication as an acceptable alternative to infant baptism.

6. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I am not in favor of infant baptism, yet if a relative asked me to go and see a child in their family infant baptised I would go. I would consider it petty also not to go. That said I would have no problem either in the right way sharing my faith with them. To be honest I would appreciate the opportunity.

7. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

? What is the purpose of the Baptismal?

For adults it is Believers Baptism... Which implies understanding and comprehension...

For Babies it could be a Baptism of Sanctification, if you will... That is the parents are covenanting to have this child set apart unto God in upbringing...

There might also be a Baptism of Inclusion. A right of passage into a sect or denomination...

However, what I haven't listed here is a Baptism of Salvation... Or a Baptism of Righteousness... [​IMG]

If I were invited to a Baptism for an infant and was led to believe that it was to save them...

I couldn't attend... Sorry, It may seem petty... But, I couldn't lend credence to that by my attendance.

Just a thought. :D

8. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Would always attend, regardless of the circumstances. To be invited to a Christian baptism or dedication is a privilege and an honor.

I've attended many of these in various denominations, including my god-daughter being baptized in an AOG church when she was five. To not attend this - or any of the others - would be more than petty, and create much more harm than good.

Lastly for Ben, why would you need to share your faith with someone who is having their baby baptized?

9. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Why would friends or relatives refuse to attend an infant baptism service for reasons "other" than objecting to the doctrine or teaching?

In Christ,

Bob

10. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Yes, but would "you" refuse to go is the question even if you do not agree with the doctrine?

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Yes, and Yes. Attending a family event of different religions is part of life. It's family. You go, and you are respectful.

If you receive an invitation to the wedding of, say, your cousin, and he/she is getting married into the Jewish faith, do you go? Yes, and you bring a gift while you're at it.

If you are invited to your brother's Catholic wedding, do you go? Yes.

If you don't believe in war, but your son is graduationg from the military academy, do you go? Of course.

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Why wouldn't "refusing to go" be "BECAUSE" I don't agree with the doctrine?

And why refuse to go if I DO agree with the doctrine?

It appears that what you think of the doctrine is the ONLY factor in providing a disincentive to going. What else besides doctrinal difference would disuade you from going?

In Christ,

Bob

13. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I may have worded that wrongly, I am a member of the Seventh Day Baptist Church, hence my view on some stuff is likely to be different to someone who is from an infant baptising church, In Australia the only churches that I am aware of that Infant Baptise are the Roman Catholic and the Anglican. In both cases I would love to be able to share what the SDB is about with people that attend these groups.

14. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Good answer Ben.

In Christ,

Bob

15. frewtloop

frewtloop Guest

I've been to a couple of them where this was the main emphasis, and I agree, that is very different from emphasizing the salvation aspect.

The Worm

16. John Gilmore

John Gilmore New Member

Yes, and Yes. Attending a family event of different religions is part of life. It's family. You go, and you are respectful.

If you receive an invitation to the wedding of, say, your cousin, and he/she is getting married into the Jewish faith, do you go? Yes, and you bring a gift while you're at it.

If you are invited to your brother's Catholic wedding, do you go? Yes.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I could even attend a wedding in a pagan temple because, for pagans to marry, is not a sin. But, what if two Christians are marrying in a Christian church and one of them did not receive a scriptural divorce from a former partner? Would I not be participating in their sin?

In the same way, if I attend a baby dedication, am I not participating in the sin of the Christian parents of not bringing their child to baptism? I would think a Baptist would have a similar problem attending an infant baptism.

17. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Ben - thank you for your response.

John - I do not believe that those who have baby dedications are sinning. Yes, they have a different view of baptism than you and I do (in reformed churches), but would you really consider it a sin?? I would like to hope that my baptistic friends do not consider me "sinning" for having my infant children baptized.

I tend to agree with JohnV on this. Attending an event for someone (friend or family) of a different denomination or religion is simply a part of life. You count it an honor that were invited and you go and you are respectful.

18. John Gilmore

John Gilmore New Member

Yes, they have a different view of baptism than you and I do (in reformed churches), but would you really consider it a sin??

Yes, they are sinners but they are also saints because they retain the foundation (i.e., true knowledge of Christ and faith). And their children are saved through the gospel that is taught in their churches .